Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a Porsche and a Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:17 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Also Pfadt racing form Utah. They know the the Vette quite well.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
So other then needing better brakes what are track suspension options. I'm sure Moton and JRZ are options, anything else.
There's not a lot of cars (stock) that can hang with a well driven C6-Z06,

but if you want the best of the best...

Katech in Michigan built all the Corvette GT1 C6R engines and can also do suspension and other track modifications.

LG Motorsports, Doug Rippie, and Phoenix Performance are also among the most highly regarded Corvette shops for road course mods & set up in the Corvette community.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DM993tt
A Z06 will go good with your goatee and gold chains.

Try a driving coach or a good instructor. Your car is plenty fast for you.
Davey- Have you ever seen me wear a gold chain, seriously? As to the goatee, I seem to remember you sporting one on your "Escape From Reality Tour".
Old 08-13-2010, 09:37 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
So other then needing better brakes what are track suspension options. I'm sure Moton and JRZ are options, anything else.
If you're jumping into a GS or Z06, work on finding the limits of the stock setup first.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:02 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

After owning a 996 that I basically turned into a GT3 just minus the motor I'm currently shopping for a real GT3 but can't help but throw around the idea of a C5 or C6 Z06 as well. They're amazing platforms and I think all of the advantages have been covered well in this thread.

I think the biggest determining factor for me still leaning towards the GT3 is the fact that whatever I purchased will be a double duty car and there's just something about the porsche that speaks to me over the corvette.

I agree with everyone that the C6 Z06 would be the fastest option for the track, the C5 Z06 the cheapest package to buy and run, but there's just something about the GT3 that I can't get away from.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have a Porsche and a Corvette?
Yes, and its the same car

Old 08-13-2010, 11:19 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
That attitude is weak, ignorant and no longer holds true. The modern Vette is a very capable car. Add a few track worthy goodies to it and it is very quick. The Corvette keeps getting better as it ages. The ZR-1 is simply astonishing.

C
its really not when you know the poster and want to poke a little fun over the internet.

'57 fuelie, '62 fuelie, and '67 427, c6 z06 - are greats.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DM993tt
its really not when you know the poster and want to poke a little fun over the internet.

'57 fuelie, '62 fuelie, and '67 427, c6 z06 - are greats.
Its all just having fun. We know each other.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:12 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Just have to share:
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...5901092958.txt

(vid in there of Montoya flogging a ZR1 'round the track here...)
Old 08-15-2010, 11:24 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I'll take the 2010 Vette Grand Sport. Z06 body, brakes and tires and "only" 430 HP so you can learn the momentum line!
+1 There was a Grand Sport prepared for T1 (I think) at the SCCA National at Pocono this weekend. Phoenix Racing. Wow I'm in love. Mid $50's pricetag, dry sump, all the serious go fast stuff with a minimum of carbon fiber BS. (You wanna make a part lighter? leave it off)
To all you guys still harboring '70's era stereotypes of Vettes, wake up.
while Porsche's products resemble boulevard cruisers for the callow dilettante, and they have the gall to remove 150lbs of equipment from a boxster, then add $15K to the price, the guys at GM have been developing a real live stripped done track monster: world class performance, steel anvil reliability, pricetag of a mid-line Audi.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:54 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonH
+1 There was a Grand Sport prepared for T1 (I think) at the SCCA National at Pocono this weekend. Phoenix Racing. Wow I'm in love. Mid $50's pricetag, dry sump, all the serious go fast stuff with a minimum of carbon fiber BS. (You wanna make a part lighter? leave it off)
To all you guys still harboring '70's era stereotypes of Vettes, wake up.
while Porsche's products resemble boulevard cruisers for the callow dilettante, and they have the gall to remove 150lbs of equipment from a boxster, then add $15K to the price, the guys at GM have been developing a real live stripped done track monster world class performance, steel anvil reliability, pricetag of a mid-line Audi.
What is said car called? I've never seen a stripped track car from GM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:13 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
What is said car called? I've never seen a stripped track car from GM.
The new 'Grand Sport' not a track car out of the box, but a 'de-contented' Z06, which substitutes the Z06 engine with a dry-sump version of the standard ~400HP pushrod LS3 Vette engine. Plus oil/diff coolers, launch control etc etc.
http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...rst-drive.html

My point was as a product mix package, it looks like an amazing deal at $20K less than a Z06, and just $5K more than a standard vette.

Sorry to infer it was track ready per se, the one I saw today was prepped for the track by Phoenix Racing. I didn't know they were shipping yet, so I was agog.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:39 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corvette's chief engineer Tadge Juechter points out that the Z06 is
Corvette's "track car".

Phoenix Performance is one of the top, if not the TOP mod shops for prepping Corvette's for the SCCA T-1 class. Most of the competitive T-1 Vettes have been prep'ed by Phoenix for the past decade.

The Z06 is not permitted to run in SCCA primarily due to the aluminium frame.

The 7.0 liter LS7 engine probably also has a lot to do with the SCCA not allowing the Z06 in T-1.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:58 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
Corvette's chief engineer Tadge Juechter points out that the Z06 is
Corvette's "track car".

Phoenix Performance is one of the top, if not the TOP mod shops for prepping Corvette's for the SCCA T-1 class. Most of the competitive T-1 Vettes have been prep'ed by Phoenix for the past decade.

The Z06 is not permitted to run in SCCA primarily due to the aluminium frame.

The 7.0 liter LS7 engine probably also has a lot to do with the SCCA not allowing the Z06 in T-1.

Hah! well there you have it. GM has had a long commitment to SCCA witness the long dominance of John Heinricy. Sounds like the Grand Sport, with it's steel vs. AL chassis, and more 'modest' powerplant is their rules-engineered tactic to raise the ante in T-1.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
They are a very different experience than driving a Porsche. The best I can describe it is that in a really fast lap in a Porsche, you feel like the car is slipping and sliding, but it wants to stay on the track. In a Corvette, it's about 100 near death experiences and the car constantly wants to vault itself into oblivean.
You must've had a car with bad tires. I've driven and raced about 40 different cars on the track, everything from a Miata to a 700hp racecar, and the C5 and C6 vettes are phenomenal, forgiving track weapons.

The only negative (other than the image) is the fact that the steering is a tad numb compared to a 911 (which is true of most front-engined cars compared to a 911).

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a Porsche and a Corvette?