Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a Porsche and a Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Does anyone have a Porsche and a Corvette?

I have been doing some non-PCA driving events with my Porsche track car. I noticed immediately that the Z06 and ZR1 Vettes are getting around the track pretty quickly. Considering the prices today it is awful tempting to add a Z06 to the garage for track days. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:30 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If I had more garage space, and 1 or 2 more Porsches that I still want to own (like a GT3), I'd consider adding a Z06 or a ZR1 to my collection.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:30 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Minoclan
I have been doing some non-PCA driving events with my Porsche track car. I noticed immediately that the Z06 and ZR1 Vettes are getting around the track pretty quickly. Considering the prices today it is awful tempting to add a Z06 to the garage for track days. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
The C5 Vettes are fast cars especially the Z06 when driven well. Don't underestimate them.

However what do want from track days. If you just want speed you can get ASA stock car. Tube frame GM create motor of about 350 hp. Fat bias ply slicks and 2600lbs. Enough to put hurt just about anything the track. Figure 25k for the car.

Yeah it is rather red-neck, but it is fast.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

They are a very different experience than driving a Porsche. The best I can describe it is that in a really fast lap in a Porsche, you feel like the car is slipping and sliding, but it wants to stay on the track. In a Corvette, it's about 100 near death experiences and the car constantly wants to vault itself into oblivean.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:36 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard your genitalia actually shrinks when you buy a vette but it's strictly rumor.

J/K of course, they are a lot of HP for the money. Just buy lots of flannel
Old 08-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f1rocks
I've heard your genitalia actually shrinks when you buy a vette but it's strictly rumor.

J/K of course, they are a lot of HP for the money. Just buy lots of flannel
That explains things. I had an 00' and an 02' each for about 4,000 miles but never on the track.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
If I had more garage space, and 1 or 2 more Porsches that I still want to own (like a GT3), I'd consider adding a Z06 or a ZR1 to my collection.
I had a GT3. Sold it after Watkins Glen. Not my favorite.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:55 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Minoclan
While I never drove a "true" porsche on track, my corvette is a HELL of a lot like my 944. Same balance, driving style, it just does everything "more" than the 944. More power, more brakes, more handling.

As for the c6z vs a gt3 or the like... comes down to what you want. The porsche will always be more refined, and the gt3 is nearly a track car out of the box. The Z is really not, but its fast, and with the right time/effort, I think they'll both be as fun. Sure the Z will probably be 10-20K cheaper than the gt3, but you track what you like and what you can afford....
Old 08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
They are a very different experience than driving a Porsche. The best I can describe it is that in a really fast lap in a Porsche, you feel like the car is slipping and sliding, but it wants to stay on the track. In a Corvette, it's about 100 near death experiences and the car constantly wants to vault itself into oblivean.
I've driven a 996 S and a C6 Z06 on the track on the same weekend and the Z06 was a lot easier to drive fast. I was cutting 1.20-1.21s at Roebling Road on street tires. The only mods to the vette was better brake pads and fluid.

I have not driven my 997 on track at speed yet to compare but we will see very soon!

Last edited by Doc GTO; 08-11-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:55 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both the C5 & C6 Z06's make nice track cars.

Not expensive to aquire or opperate !!!
Reasonably reliable too, when driven hard but not abused.

With mininium mods, brake rotors and alignment, the C6 Z06 is formidable.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You wouldn't look good in a Corvette !!!. GT3's not your favorite!!! That explains alot. A properly fitted Caymen S is probably the way to go.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:15 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I have some seat time in both C5 and C6 Vettes at autocross and at our local track and those would not be my comments at all. To me the Corvette seems extremely well balanced and is relatively forgiving compared to most cars lapping at a similar pace. The torque of the a C6 Z06 is mind numbing and really puts a grin on my face. If you have the opportunity, take a blast around in a Vette, if you can get past the name, there arent a lot of opportunities to go as fast for the money.

-Mark
Old 08-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
You wouldn't look good in a Corvette !!!. GT3's not your favorite!!! That explains alot. .
Yeah, that explains your new car

I have my 911 track car but I may want something to switch it up with. I love the 911.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowside67
I have some seat time in both C5 and C6 Vettes at autocross and at our local track and those would not be my comments at all. To me the Corvette seems extremely well balanced and is relatively forgiving compared to most cars lapping at a similar pace. The torque of the a C6 Z06 is mind numbing and really puts a grin on my face. If you have the opportunity, take a blast around in a Vette, if you can get past the name, there arent a lot of opportunities to go as fast for the money.

-Mark
Thats my read on it also.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:21 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67

-Mark
Z06: No better all-around value in a high performance sportscar, new or used.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a Porsche and a Corvette?