Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Trailer Ball Mounts - Anyone have experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:18 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to start a receiver hitch collection. I have a couple now. If you only have 1 or 2 trucks I wouldn't spend the money on this.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:24 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use B&W (http://www.turnoverball.com/tow.asp# ) tow and stow, very clever design for day to day on my F350 but when I connect the trailer I move to a load distributing ball mount. Despite the size its my go-to vehicle, and it has the added bonus of lane changes made easy: step-1 put on signal, step-2 move over, its like the seas part when I drive it.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts
Default First Towing Experience

WOW - what a difference vs the Cayenne S as a tow vehicle. The pulling is effortless. I have significantly better side view visibility and even with the air dam on my Featherlite I can see what's directly in back of the trailer! This of course will become moot when my enclosed trailer arrives in the fall.
I'm just loving this truck!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
WOW - what a difference vs the Cayenne S as a tow vehicle. The pulling is effortless. I have significantly better side view visibility and even with the air dam on my Featherlite I can see what's directly in back of the trailer! This of course will become moot when my enclosed trailer arrives in the fall.
I'm just loving this truck!
Told you so ... some folks in the P!g Pen just refuse to believe ...
Old 08-10-2010, 10:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VERBOTN
I use B&W (http://www.turnoverball.com/tow.asp# ) tow and stow, very clever design for day to day on my F350 but when I connect the trailer I move to a load distributing ball mount. Despite the size its my go-to vehicle, and it has the added bonus of lane changes made easy: step-1 put on signal, step-2 move over, its like the seas part when I drive it.
My wife saw the "Have you ever knocked your shin on a bumper hitch" and gave me that look...looks like I'm buying one of these (since the Excursion is her daily driver that she allows my son and I to use for towing)...

Thanks for the link.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Given that we move all kinds of trailers big and small, it's kind of nice to have one drawbar to suit virtually any application rather than have to carry around and rummage through a box full of various fixed drawbars.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:45 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Good advice to remove it when you are not pulling anything. But, some clown wasn't paying attention at a stop light, and hit me going about 10 mph. The hitch didn't notice, but her front bumper did...
Ditto. I leave mine in all the time (with a locking pin for security) for that very reason. Same thing happened to me. Somebody smacked me from behind in traffic. The moose dick sized hitch did its job perfectly. Not a scratch on my truck while their front end was toast. But it does suck though when you get in a hurry walking around the truck and and bang your shin into it...
Old 08-12-2010, 10:30 AM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Ditto. I leave mine in all the time (with a locking pin for security) for that very reason. Same thing happened to me. Somebody smacked me from behind in traffic. The moose dick sized hitch did its job perfectly. Not a scratch on my truck while their front end was toast. But it does suck though when you get in a hurry walking around the truck and and bang your shin into it...
Also great for keeping people from feeling their way into a parking spot when parallel parked...
Old 08-12-2010, 12:04 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
I work for a company that has a 35 bay body shop. I have seen 2 truck frames that were bent after the hitch was hit and the energy bypassed the impact systems. A repair grade hit turned into totals. Low impact might help harder hit a hitch sticking out might hurt. THat said my shin skinner has been on the truck so long it is rusted in tight and I can't get it to come out to replace it. The reason I need to replace it is it got bent when my empty trailer was hit while on the truck sittng at a stop light. Bent the ball foward.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:19 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by kurt M
I work for a company that has a 35 bay body shop. I have seen 2 truck frames that were bent after the hitch was hit and the energy bypassed the impact systems.
That is a very good point. Similar to what I was told by a body shop owner about those large brush guard front ends. At low impact, they do well to protect the truck, but at a higher rate of impact, they actually do more damage to the vehicle on which they are installed than if they weren't there at all.

Coincidentally, on the way in to work this morning (in my truck), coming over a hill, traffic suddenly checked up with little warning. I brought my truck to a controlled stop in time to avoid the guy in front of me. Heard tires screeching behind me and in my mirror I saw vehicles darting every which way. I braced myself against the headrest and heard the inevitable bang from somewhere behind me. Fortunately, no one hit my truck. The two or three cars behind me tangled up though.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:01 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lucky you. I was stitting at a light with my empty Trailex and an 06 Benz E class stops beind me. A 2010 Mustang slams the Benz hard and into my Trailex. Bent the back of the trailer and the hitch. All 3 drivers had the same ins. co. USAA. Payday for me.

Quick Reply: Adjustable Trailer Ball Mounts - Anyone have experience?