Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Trailer Ball Mounts - Anyone have experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Adjustable Trailer Ball Mounts - Anyone have experience?

I am considering buying an aluminum adjustable trailer ball mount like the one shown here: http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/...TALBM6800.html
I just bought a new tow vehicle and have a new trailer which will arrive in October. I figure having an adjustable mount would allow me to switch between tow vehicles and trailers easily.
My builder had one which was stolen while he was at the track! I would definitely lock it on since they are about 200 bucks.
Anyone have experience?
Old 08-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Dave, they're good.

We use one just like it on one of our trucks.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:04 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Seem cheaper to just have two ***** rather than trying to compensate for just one.

Seriously that is very expensive and I would think you can get it alot cheaper. I think i have seen steel ones for $60.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

For half that price you can get four hitches, not worry about a 200 dollar one getting stolen. Not worry about corrosion making it a pain to move it around.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:18 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have probably 3 or 4 different hitch *****.

1 2500 Dodge to pull the open trailer - Extended length to clear the rear doors on shell/tail gate - 2" ball
1 ML320 to pull the open trailer (when not pulling the car) - Needs a short length to prevent over reaching the wires - 2" ball
1 2500 Dodge equalizing hitch head for enclosed trailer. Complete with 2 5/16 ball

I never leave any in the trucks when not towing. Otherwise I will bash my shin on them. I just take them out and put the right one in when needed.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 912 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I am considering buying an aluminum adjustable trailer ball mount like the one shown here: http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/...TALBM6800.html
I just bought a new tow vehicle and have a new trailer which will arrive in October. I figure having an adjustable mount would allow me to switch between tow vehicles and trailers easily.
My builder had one which was stolen while he was at the track! I would definitely lock it on since they are about 200 bucks.
Anyone have experience?
Picks or it didn't happen! What is it?

I've used similar, but steel ones. They are nice but can sort of rattle. I fall into the catorgory of buying one for the specific vehicle and trailer combo. Courses for horses....
Old 08-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments guys. Food for advice.

Matt, I wouldn't want to fall into the "pic or ban" category. I found a mega-loaded end of 2010 Ram 2500 diesel and got a good price so I pulled the trigger. I bought it at Dan's Jeep-Dodge in Westborough, MA. They were a pleasure to deal with and I dare say they made it the best car buying experience of my life. They even put an inspection sticker on it and filled it with 34 gallons of diesel!

I picked it up this morning and put nearly 100 miles on it just cruising around today with Irene. It is AWESOME to drive. It is my first pickup and I now realize why Americans like these behemoths so much. The interior goodies are in many ways nicer than my 997! Seriously.

And the pics:

Old 08-09-2010, 07:56 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Nice truck Dave. Congrats on completing the 10 step program!

I'd skip the high $$$ adjustable ball. Find a steel one that works for this truck, and if you really need to fit to another vehicle just buy another one.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:07 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Dave that actually looks very nice. We are a dealer for these guys(Rigid). If you see any thing here that is of interest to you I'll give it to you at my cost plus frt.

http://www.rigidhitch.com/default.as...code=ALBM-6600
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice truck Dave, drive it in the best of health.

There is nothing like cruising down the road with 7000# of cold rolled full framed American steel....although my bride's daily driver (Excursion) has a 44 gallon tank. I remember fondly back when diesel was $5.00/gallon in NY and having to fill that tank up from empty after towing.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 912 Likes on 556 Posts

NICE TRUCK!!!!!! Not that you weren't riding in style before.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

have that hitch on my truck...wouldn't be without it,great product. and wow! what a nice truck...I have a 2008 Dodge Cummins...wish I had the 2010!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
Nice truck Dave. Congrats on completing the 10 step program!

I'd skip the high $$$ adjustable ball. Find a steel one that works for this truck, and if you really need to fit to another vehicle just buy another one.
Thanks Mike.
Should I start finding another track car for my wife and a double trailer?
Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Dave that actually looks very nice. We are a dealer for these guys(Rigid). If you see any thing here that is of interest to you I'll give it to you at my cost plus frt.

http://www.rigidhitch.com/default.as...code=ALBM-6600
Thanks Steve. I'll think on it.

Originally Posted by ltc
Nice truck Dave, drive it in the best of health.

There is nothing like cruising down the road with 7000# of cold rolled full framed American steel....although my bride's daily driver (Excursion) has a 44 gallon tank. I remember fondly back when diesel was $5.00/gallon in NY and having to fill that tank up from empty after towing.
I gotta admit I'm digging it,....alot. Diesel around here seems about 10 cents less than 93 gas. Not too bad I guess.
Driving on the highway today I was getting about 17 mpg. I'm amazed.
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
NICE TRUCK!!!!!! Not that you weren't riding in style before.

Originally Posted by bgiere
have that hitch on my truck...wouldn't be without it,great product. and wow! what a nice truck...I have a 2008 Dodge Cummins...wish I had the 2010!
Thanks Brant.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:30 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Thanks Mike.
Should I start finding another track car for my wife and a double trailer?
Uncharted ground for me, but I have a friend who recently did just that. However, he did recently get pulled over by a LEO for hauling more weight than his F250 was rated for.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:12 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I have one sitting in my garage...It seemed like a good idea, and I used it for a few years, until I got a bigger trailer and needed a load leveling hitch. I guess if I ever need a plain hitch for pulling something else, I'll be prepared.
Good advice to remove it when you are not pulling anything. But, some clown wasn't paying attention at a stop light, and hit me going about 10 mph. The hitch didn't notice, but her front bumper did...

Quick Reply: Adjustable Trailer Ball Mounts - Anyone have experience?