Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the smart thing to do re helmet.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the smart thing to do re helmet.

Snell 95 helmets are all going to clock out this year. Option one is to buy a Snell 2005, and enjoy ? years. Option 2 is wait for the Snell 2010s in October and get more usable years. I doubt, however, that I would want my head in a helmet that has accumulated more than 5 years of my head spooge.

So, what does the release of a new Snell standard do to retail pricing and availability? Is there going to be a rush/shortage at the end of this year due to all the Snell 95s clocking out? Will Snell 2005s become less expensive when the Snell 2010s hit the market? My plan is to wait until the 2010s come out and hope that there are some good deals on the 2005s.

I also hear (thread below) that the Snell 2010 standard may be a substantial improvement that is worth buying.

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/387626.aspx
Old 08-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The 2010 standard is a substantial change in the way they test the helmets. I'm not sure if it's a substantial improvement however.

2005's will be cheaper when the 2010 standard comes out although some people are already pushing out the last 2005 inventory. The few helmets I have left with an 05 rating I'm selling at pretty much my cost.

If you're talking about 95 helmets are you using this just for autox? Most groups are letting the SA helmets that 'clock out' with the new standard through at least the beginning of next year as the availability of the new helmets in October is still unknown.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:31 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

gor for the 2005 spec when the 2010s come out. 5 Years is plenty of accumulated sweat and exhaust :-)
Old 08-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Buy a couple of $5 cotton balaclavas and your helmet won't serve as a sweat sponge anymore. It sounds too simple but it really does work.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Giacomo
Buy a couple of $5 cotton balaclavas and your helmet won't serve as a sweat sponge anymore. It sounds too simple but it really does work.
It would seem odd to purchase a non Nomex balaclava and wear it with an SA (Nomex) helmet.

If non SA helmets are accepted by your region, you could save some money and just purchase a K rated helmet; same as SA, just non Nomex lining; then you could use a non fireproof balaclava.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:39 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2010 helmet, now. Weirdly, it doesn't actually say "2010" on the sticker.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
It would seem odd to purchase a non Nomex balaclava and wear it with an SA (Nomex) helmet.

If non SA helmets are accepted by your region, you could save some money and just purchase a K rated helmet; same as SA, just non Nomex lining; then you could use a non fireproof balaclava.
Completely agree, if you are just doing DE events there is little added benefit to buying a nomex lined helmet. Most regions will accept M rated helmets for DE. So if nothing else on your body is nomex why should your balaclava be? Most DE drivers still buy SA rated helmets just in case....
Old 08-09-2010, 02:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Agreed, but I would much rather wear a K rated helmet than an M rated helmet for auto applications ...
Old 08-09-2010, 02:42 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Giacomo
Completely agree, if you are just doing DE events there is little added benefit to buying a nomex lined helmet. Most regions will accept M rated helmets for DE. So if nothing else on your body is nomex why should your balaclava be? Most DE drivers still buy SA rated helmets just in case....
Who would that be?

I've Never been to any (public) track event where SA's were not required... (in 20+ yrs)

Get the SA and be done. and I recommend closed face.

-did you mean AutoX accepts M helmets? (M = motorcycle? vs K = non-nomex ?)

I think its K (non nomex) allowed at the AutoX.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
Who would that be?
PCA HPDE Minimum standards only require a snell rated helmet. They do not specify the need for it to be SA.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
Who would that be?

I've Never been to any (public) track event where SA's were not required... (in 20+ yrs)

Get the SA and be done. and I recommend closed face.

-did you mean AutoX accepts M helmets? (M = motorcycle? vs K = non-nomex ?)

I think its K (non nomex) allowed at the AutoX.

I have an SA so I don't really check the club rules, but I know that Audi Club was fine with M. Basically, the fire protection of the SA is considered nonessential when the rest of the driver is unprotected. It also makes the sport more accessible.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:58 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Helmets are easy to wash. Dunk fully under water and wash gently in a large bucket or sink filled with warm water and a little Woolite. Rinse 2 or 3 times in the same bucket filled with warm clear water. Vacuum out as much water from the liner foam with a shop vacuum and finish drying with a fan. The shop vac trick gets 99% of the water and it will dry fast. I have had mine go from "Would not want to put my foot in it much less my head" to clean and dry in 6 hours.

Lets be real. In a wreck there will be no measurable change in survivability with a 95 and a 10.

Charlie, I don't think Snell 2010 helments are out yet. Does yours have a 2005 sticker?
Old 08-09-2010, 03:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Arai GP5 SA and K are the same shell, just different liners.

When my son had his crash at Moroso, I spoke to Arai when his helmet was returned for X ray inspection (and subsequently returned as a 'trophy') and they confirmed that fact.
His replacement was an SA helmet since he needed full Nomex for his FBMW test day.

I'd also have to check, but last I heard SA2010 K rated helmets were available, just can't remember which manufacturers
Old 08-09-2010, 03:17 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 723 Likes on 355 Posts

I know of a lot of PCA regions that accept M rated helmets...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 08-09-2010, 04:57 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Well Ok then.

But I've seen people searching for a spare helmet at registration, when they showed up with an M helmet at a DE...

I forget when or who, but that's not where I'd save a buck... as it could be an issue, and since they are good for 10 years, the little extra $ spread over that time frame just seems pennywise.

-ymmv.

Quick Reply: What's the smart thing to do re helmet.