Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smarty Cam booting problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I got it with my 1st camera and still get it with this one, but ONLY on initial startup (with both). When I get it and don't reset, I get no GPS function. It never kicks off once the camera has started, just does it as I described at startup..
Old 08-04-2010, 12:36 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick, sorry to hear about your issues or should I say AIM's issues. I missed the post earlier. Hope to catch up soon.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:14 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rick! How ya been!
I too am having some problems with the smartycam connected to my mxl. While the cam sees the GPS signal fine, the data logger is no longer getting gps triggers. Total loss of all track data. (well, one big lap). I tried reseting the gps beacons, but it didnt work. Its really pissing me off that the simplest configuration doesnt work. These guys seem to know how to build hardware, but the software, particularly the drivers and connectivity is garbage.

I've had my MXL since they first arrived here, but I'm getting really close to sending the cam back, selling the AIM and moving to a new system. Really a shame as if it actually worked as advertised, it would be a great system.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:18 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJay
Hey Rick! How ya been!
I too am having some problems with the smartycam connected to my mxl. While the cam sees the GPS signal fine, the data logger is no longer getting gps triggers. Total loss of all track data. (well, one big lap). I tried reseting the gps beacons, but it didnt work. Its really pissing me off that the simplest configuration doesnt work. These guys seem to know how to build hardware, but the software, particularly the drivers and connectivity is garbage.

I've had my MXL since they first arrived here, but I'm getting really close to sending the cam back, selling the AIM and moving to a new system. Really a shame as if it actually worked as advertised, it would be a great system.
oh... and I feel compelled to add that whoever choose the vid format was an idiot. Nothing I own and that includes an xp 32 system, a vista 64 system, an imac, can recognize or edit this out of the box. avidemux gets confused about its audio, windows movie player does as well and generally hangs playing the video. Have these guys heard of QA?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I use AVS4YOU Software, cheap and works well for me. Free trial period I believe.. Also has a converter IIRC so you can flip it to another package should you desire.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:49 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I use AVS4YOU Software, cheap and works well for me. Free trial period I believe.. Also has a converter IIRC so you can flip it to another package should you desire.
best program from that bunch is actually not an editor but AVS Video Converter - it has an 'edit' function and it allows to use filters to correct undesirable effects.

to Gary - i troll in one thread at a time only, so this one is serious.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Now that I look I see I purchased the AVS Editor and the converter is a different module in the "AVS4YOU" package, which I haven't a need for. The Editor works great for my needs but if you own a high end program like AVID you may just try the converter to see if that allows you to import it. Not an ideal situation but a possible solution nonetheless.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:04 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Now that I look I see I purchased the AVS Editor and the converter is a different module in the "AVS4YOU" package, which I haven't a need for. The Editor works great for my needs but if you own a high end program like AVID you may just try the converter to see if that allows you to import it. Not an ideal situation but a possible solution nonetheless.
I guess I'll give it a shot, assuming I ever get the gps to work with the mxl, but its annoying to spend more $$$ as I already own two editors, Vegas and some other cant remember what it is. If their format is non-standard, they should ship a converter as part of the smartymanger software. It is ridiculous that we have to buy a converter as well IMO.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I guess I'll give it a shot, assuming I ever get the gps to work with the mxl, but its annoying to spend more $$$ as I already own two editors, Vegas and some other cant remember what it is. If their format is non-standard, they should ship a converter as part of the smartymanger software. It is ridiculous that we have to buy a converter as well IMO.
Agree, and TRY the AVS Converter before buying it as it may be another issue and I don't want to steer you wrong!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree, and TRY the AVS Converter before buying it as it may be another issue and I don't want to steer you wrong!
in the converter after you hit 'edit' button you get list of all video effects to apply against your file plus list of audio effects as well - so essentially you can edit audio track too - noise canceling, cut off swearing , etc.. video editor does not allow to edit existing sound track IMHO.

or if it does i did not see it yet.

nice butthead picture you found, i sa it long time ago somewhere. i promised myself not to post into that thread anymore, but wanted to comment.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:21 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

FYI, AIM released some new firmware for the MXL today along with a Race studio upgrade. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

FYI, AIM released some new firmware for the MXL today along with a Race studio upgrade. Fingers crossed.
AIM and "New Firmware/Software" in the same sentence is scary to me...
Old 08-05-2010, 09:35 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

AIM and "New Firmware/Software" in the same sentence is scary to me...
What, are you saying I can't just go blindly ahead and update?!
I was hoping this would fix everything.
I can still hope, right?
To their credit, AiM has provide great response to support requests. it works best when they are called in, though, not emailed.
I shall continue to persevere, but I may have to learn some Italian swears (Doc, you gonna help me here?).
Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm running out of uncrossed fingers.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Well, race Studio seems ok but I usually don't find what they broke... errr I mean the new features... right away.

Quick Reply: Smarty Cam booting problems