Gary and Rick

The PDF listed to the right of the new release shows what they changed

RS2: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...new_100803.pdf

MXl: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ory_100727.pdf
Old 08-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 167 Posts

Thanks Jerry, read that. What AIM never mentions is what they messed up with the current release!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
Gary and Rick

The PDF listed to the right of the new release shows what they changed

RS2: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...new_100803.pdf

MXl: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ory_100727.pdf
Hi Jerry
Yes, thanks for that. I try to take a look at those pdfs when there is a release.
I wonder if a lot of problems are that AiM doesn't design for plug and play consumer level use. For example, I have an MXL Pista with no extra sensors; taking a signal off of the tack for RPM, then using gear calibration for gear indicator and GPS (now off of SmartyCam) for speed etc. Pretty simple set up.
I have yet to see from Aim any cheat sheet that would tell me 'here is the standard configuration for that simple set up.'
Not to say they wouldn't gladly provide that info via tech support.
But, they are a pleasure to deal with generally, so I can't complain, and I think the system is superb. It just seems that there are too many times that I'm not getting a properly functioning system while on track, only to find there is something to fix or change.
The fact that I acquired the dash with the car means that I don't really have a dealer to call on when I have questions; perhaps they are more set up for a customer/dealer/installer relationship rather than direct to consumer.
Thanks for listening.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the early days, things were pretty good. Somewhere around Vista and the DaVid intro, things went south. Maybe the SC's vid choice is defensible and yeah, okay, they were particularly forward looking and it took some effort to go to 64 bit. Okay, cut 'em a break. But there really is NO possible excuse for MXL/Smarty integration to not work out of the box. I just lost a whole weekend of test data for an upcoming race and I'm really pretty pissed about it. I am seriously considering going elsewhere. I'll be testing the new software tomorrow. Will report back.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by RJay
In the early days, things were pretty good. Somewhere around Vista and the DaVid intro, things went south. Maybe the SC's vid choice is defensible and yeah, okay, they were particularly forward looking and it took some effort to go to 64 bit. Okay, cut 'em a break. But there really is NO possible excuse for MXL/Smarty integration to not work out of the box. I just lost a whole weekend of test data for an upcoming race and I'm really pretty pissed about it. I am seriously considering going elsewhere. I'll be testing the new software tomorrow. Will report back.
I'm an IQ3 fan myself...
Old 08-08-2010, 11:08 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

No soap. My MXL still can't see the GPS triggers with the latest stuff. Sigh...
Old 08-21-2010, 10:26 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJay
No soap. My MXL still can't see the GPS triggers with the latest stuff. Sigh...
Update... got it all working. Trouble was I have a netbook and in the config screen there's a new enable GPS lap times. I hadnt realized to that there was new stuff over there and the netbook screen res being too low I couldnt see it until I realized there was a scroll bar and something to see. Once I checked that and downloaded the config, everything worked.

Annoying that with a smarty cam attached that gps lap times are off by default, but there you have it.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the point to AVS editor Gary. It indeed does the trick pretty painlessly. I actually just use it to do a rough edit chopping off the excess and finish the result under Vegas. Workes well, for $60 its pretty good.

So there is indeed a path through the wilderness, use the cam this weekend and it worked pretty well. Pretty happy with the results and theres no doubt its a useful, if a tad expensive, addition.

Quick Reply: Smarty Cam booting problems