Smarty Cam booting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:48 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Smarty Cam booting problems

Big problems with SmartyCam after firmware updates.
Smarty won't complete boot; 95% of the time it hangs at splash screen or gets into starting screen but hangs there.
I updated firmware via Smarty Manager. Trouble with communicating with Smarty so update is via card that came with the SmartyCam. Firmware is 01.01.02.
Smarty will almost never communicate via USB with my laptop, despite continual unplug, reboot, replug. Works occasionally, then no longer.
Is there a way to reset to factory defaults?
If we can't get this fixed, can I plug the GPS directly into MXL and at least restore this capability?
Thank you; I really need a hand here.
(above is the message I just sent to AIM; posting here in case anyone has suggeestions)
Old 07-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Sounds like the firmware update got corrupted somehow. If possible try loading the previous version back on there first. Then I would re-download the latest firmware and try to run the update again. I assume you have the latest Smarty manager installed and the newest USB drivers..
Old 07-25-2010, 12:11 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Sounds like the firmware update got corrupted somehow. If possible try loading the previous version back on there first. Then I would re-download the latest firmware and try to run the update again. I assume you have the latest Smarty manager installed and the newest USB drivers..
Hi Gary
They should pay you for providing me the technical support.
I updated the firmware because a few weeks back the dash would cut out then reboot (on the track, flashing me an error message something like SLAVE NETWORK LOST, though its hard to remember as I was hurtling down the track).
I tried a new download and reinstall of the latest firmware, but let me roll back a version and see.
I'll let you know.
Isn't this stuff supposed to be consumer friendly??
Old 07-25-2010, 12:13 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes for SmartyManager.
Where can I get latest drivers? Windows 7 tells me it is up to date but I wonder, as I have lots of communication problems with Smarty (which needs a new name).
Old 07-25-2010, 12:20 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just downloaded and installed previous version of the firmware and did not solve the problem.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

May well be a hardware issue, bet it goes back to AIM USA....
Old 07-26-2010, 12:13 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

May well be a hardware issue, bet it goes back to AIM USA....
Me too; we're going to have a long (or very short) talk tomorrow.
I need it for the club Race at Mosport, which means by Wednesday. Hope they'll take care of me.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:37 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Rick, at risk of stating the obvious there're two sets of firmware--one for the main processor and another for the slave. The May 18 update requires both to be installed, first the slave and then the main.

One of the dealers will have to chime in on a "hard reset" method--I don't think that's an option in the built-in menus or the SmartyManager/RaceStudio.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CRex
Rick, at risk of stating the obvious there're two sets of firmware--one for the main processor and another for the slave. The May 18 update requires both to be installed, first the slave and then the main.

One of the dealers will have to chime in on a "hard reset" method--I don't think that's an option in the built-in menus or the SmartyManager/RaceStudio.
No worries about stating the obvious with me; at this stage I need as much obvious as I can get. Thank you ( I actually did the slave first, but its good to have the reminder).
Spoke with AIM this morning and they are replacing the unit; though I would have preferred that it not need replacing, they were very good about it and have a new one coming overnight.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:47 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

New SmartyCam received as promised by AIM. Worked fine at Mosport although I am having a bit of GPS problems (first 1/2 of session no GPS signal so no speed or time info, then during the 2nd half all of a sudden GPS is back).
I suspect a bad cable and am talking with AIM about that now.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:11 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Rick

I wish you mentioned your problems when we talked at Mosport. I had spare camera and cords at the track. Send me an e-mail at jandsaustin@verizon.net if you have questions or need assistance with AIM or Smarty Cam. I may not solve your problem but it may help me with solving others later, I am still learning. Great weekend at Mosport huh! Do a search of a Mosport lap in a 964, I just posted a lap (not me driving though).
Old 08-03-2010, 05:12 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I should have said, search You-Tube to see the lap
Old 08-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Rick - also be sure you don't see (you have to look for it) "Slave Net Error" across the bottom of the Pista screen when you start up. I believe, though not sure, that it is tripped because the camera hasn't started yet and the communication isn't there. For me, I turn the key to "on", power the Pista and wait to see if I get the error or my regular "Oil Pressure" message. If I get the error I wait a few seconds (with key on) and try again. As soon as I get no error I continue turning the key to start the car and all is well.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:07 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by amso3
Rick

I wish you mentioned your problems when we talked at Mosport. I had spare camera and cords at the track. Send me an e-mail at jandsaustin@verizon.net if you have questions or need assistance with AIM or Smarty Cam. I may not solve your problem but it may help me with solving others later, I am still learning. Great weekend at Mosport huh! Do a search of a Mosport lap in a 964, I just posted a lap (not me driving though).
Hi Jerry
Kind of you to offer; you were way to busy for me to bother you about this.
AIM ended up replacing the camera. The original problem posted here was that I was getting this Slave Error message on track at Tremblant (a bit hard to remember the exact words as I would see it at speed). We concluded a replacement camera was needed which AIM supplied via overnight.
That new camera solved that problem, but I am now having a problem where the system will go a few laps without picking up GPS, only to find the satellites and begin logging. So I might get half a run of no GPS (and therefore no speed or times) then all of a sudden I get it.
AIM is looking at logs files now to tell me what's next.
I suspect a bad GPS antenna or cable, based on the intermittent nature of the problem.
I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rick - also be sure you don't see (you have to look for it) "Slave Net Error" across the bottom of the Pista screen when you start up. I believe, though not sure, that it is tripped because the camera hasn't started yet and the communication isn't there. For me, I turn the key to "on", power the Pista and wait to see if I get the error or my regular "Oil Pressure" message. If I get the error I wait a few seconds (with key on) and try again. As soon as I get no error I continue turning the key to start the car and all is well.
Thank you, Gary - that Slave Net Error was what I would get with the now-replaced camera. No sign of it with the new camera.
What would happen is that the whole dash would flash the shift lights, shut off (could be the wrong sequence here) then come back on with that error message.
Very entertaining at speed.

Quick Reply: Smarty Cam booting problems