Sponsored by:

Installing drink tube

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:46 AM
sstreime
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing drink tube

I am looking for some tips on installing a drink tube into a helmet. I have a sparco helmet with a hole ready to accept a drink tube but am wondering how this acutally is used.

When used is it typical to install so the tube is in the drivers mouth all the time or just short of the mouth where the driver can still try to reach with his/her lips or ?

Any sample pics of installations you would be willing to share?

Thanks in advance just thought this would be easier than grabbing something off my chest if set-up correctly.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I had a drink tube in long enduro races (this is dirt bikes), I put the tube so that it was just sort of in front of my mouth but not constantly in. It was so that I could put it in my mouth without using hands which IMO it needs to be.

And the tube needs to have a back-up valve that prevents fluid from emptying from the tube so you don't have to suck it up every time you drink.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:09 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just purchased this but have not used it yet. It has a bite valve but I am not planning to install it in my helmet for now. As you can see it just bolts to your cage. Sorry no experience with actual use.
Name:  22551_1_lg.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  21.9 KB
Old 07-25-2010, 05:04 PM
kfyork
Advanced

A few years ago I cut and pasted the following from BimmerForums. Information courtesy 'jjvincent':

"For your helmet fitting, use PN-5012K93. This is a through wall barbed fitting. As for the female end, use PN-5012K67. This is just a barbed fitting that will work with PN-5012K93. As for the tubing, I suggest PN-9334T4. This is the Antimicrobial Blue Polyethylene Tubing for Drinking Water. All of these parts can be bought from McMaster Carr. Just drill a hole right in front of where your mouth is. Some guys have a hose close to their mouth and others use the pinch-bite thing that's on a Camelback. For around $30 you can be set."

Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

+1 on bite valve or back-up valve.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by KRA993tt
I just purchased this but have not used it yet. It has a bite valve but I am not planning to install it in my helmet for now. As you can see it just bolts to your cage. Sorry no experience with actual use.
Attachment 461685
The bite valve that comes with that (unless they changed it) is pretty big, I bought a few Camalbak bite valves and they are a lot better IMO. I did the hole through the helmet right in front of your mouth just big enough for the hose, then install the bite valve. Just give the hose a little push when you want to drink and pull when your done and it's out of the way..
Old 07-25-2010, 07:01 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

a couple factors come to mind

1: How long is the drivers stint
2: How HOT.....

I've done up to about 2.5 hour stints racing in lemons in reasonable weather (80F) with no hydration or coolsuit & no problems...however if I were doing the same on a 100F day I would want a coolsuit at a minimum....

Its all up to your personal level of heat tolerance and comfort level....I came from racing bicycles in the same weather....so the heat doesn't effect me as bad as some others....
Old 07-25-2010, 07:32 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
The bite valve that comes with that (unless they changed it) is pretty big, I bought a few Camalbak bite valves and they are a lot better IMO. I did the hole through the helmet right in front of your mouth just big enough for the hose, then install the bite valve. Just give the hose a little push when you want to drink and pull when your done and it's out of the way..
Thanks Gary I'll definitely do some testing, I'm just glad to have something. Road Atlanta in August is rough.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Keith,

I have the same drink bottle. I do not have a problem with the bite valve. I do not have a hole drilled on my helmet. I usually have the tube tied to the right side net within easy reach and feed it through the visor opening. It is a little more involved than Gary's method, but I have one less thing attached to my helmet.

Two minor annoying things are that the drink that stays in the tube gets warm quickly and the bite valve slips off if the tube gets in the sun which expands it.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:37 PM
sstreime
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kfyork
A few years ago I cut and pasted the following from BimmerForums. Information courtesy 'jjvincent':

"For your helmet fitting, use PN-5012K93. This is a through wall barbed fitting. As for the female end, use PN-5012K67. This is just a barbed fitting that will work with PN-5012K93. As for the tubing, I suggest PN-9334T4. This is the Antimicrobial Blue Polyethylene Tubing for Drinking Water. All of these parts can be bought from McMaster Carr. Just drill a hole right in front of where your mouth is. Some guys have a hose close to their mouth and others use the pinch-bite thing that's on a Camelback. For around $30 you can be set."

Hope this helps.
Actually this did help a bunch. I found your previous post a week or so ago and ordered the parts so i should have all the stuff required just was not sure about how to manage the tube in the helmet. From a few of the other responses it sounds like a decent apporach may be to just push the tube in a bit further for a drink and pull it back a bit when finished.

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camelbak also makes a quick disconnect for $7.00 that works well. Same as the CPC fittings.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Get insulation for the tube to your mouth.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:50 PM
dmwhite
Instructor

havent read all the other replies, so excuse any repeated info

Originally Posted by sstreime
When used is it typical to install so the tube is in the drivers mouth all the time or just short of the mouth where the driver can still try to reach with his/her lips or ?
some people like to run with the tube/bite valve in their mouth all the time...i don't

i have mine setup so that i can easily push the tube towards my mouth when i want to drink and pull it out when i'm done...the bite valve keeps the tube from coming all the way out of my helmet when i pull the tube out...

i recommend having some sort of quick disconnect (i use one of the red ones for cool shirts) so that you can quickly free yourself from the drink bottle/source when you need to get out of the car

my setup consist of about 2 feet of tubing, bite valve (small one from camelbak), and the female end of the quick disconnect...we use camelbaks in a backpack zip-tied to the roll cage behind the seat with the tube (and male end of the QD) attached to the center net

Quick Reply: Installing drink tube