Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why aren't more Black and Red run group drivers.........

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a great Peter Egan column from 20+ years where he and a few SCCA racers meet a guy with an expensive daily driver who tells them "I've always wanted to race."

Egan's friend (somewhat rudely) replies "no you haven't." After an awkward silence Egan's friend takes the guy through how selling his expensive daily driver could easily fund a tow vehicle, trailer and competitive SCCA car.

Maybe it's an abbreviated schedule, a spec series or a kart, but if you've always wanted to race, you will.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:29 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"If you drive a 944 to the track AND race it, now that's commitment."
Did that and _still_ couldn't make it work. I will admit that for me, at least, racing was a much bigger kick in the pants.
I instruct now, and that is truely fullfilling on it's own level, but I rarely even go out in the Instructor run groups as without a full prepped car, I just don't feel comfortable in a stock street car.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember my father telling us, "you can never afford to race... You race because you love it! If you love it... You will find a way to afford it!"
This is a great quote and pretty well says it all. There's also a huge price difference between running at the front of the pack and the middle/back of the pack. I think the best way to go is to build a safe RELIABLE car that runs well consistently and focus on having fun; not on being the fastest There's ALWAYS someone with a bigger budget that will be faster!
Old 06-27-2010, 03:04 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
....... focus on having fun; not on being the fastest There's ALWAYS someone with a bigger budget that will be faster!
Exactly.......
Old 06-27-2010, 03:56 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
since you hate SM so much,
take the yellow zonker out. get tony the kid to put a full cage in there and just do PRC racing.
How many times do I have to mention I have a near-zero budget for extraneous activities like this at the moment? It's nice you've got seemingly unlimited funds to run whatever, wherever at your whim. I don't. Maybe good fortune will shine on me again. In this economy, with who is running it, and what they want to do to anyone who gets even a couple of bucks ahead, I don't see it. Those of you who do have it, enjoy it to your fullest.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:07 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
How many times do I have to mention I have a near-zero budget for extraneous activities like this at the moment? It's nice you've got seemingly unlimited funds to run whatever, wherever at your whim. I don't. Maybe good fortune will shine on me again. In this economy, with who is running it, and what they want to do to anyone who gets even a couple of bucks ahead, I don't see it. Those of you who do have it, enjoy it to your fullest.
In mooty's defense, you do list 8 cars in your sig...
Old 06-27-2010, 05:48 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I giggle like a school girl driving it on small tracks though!

Mike
Like a school girl in a uniform.

Hey, if you ever need a 2nd or 3rd driver for an endure, let me know.

-Chris
Old 06-28-2010, 10:50 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

9 cars actually, he lists RSA x 2...

Makes my 4 car fleet seem small!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
.. build a safe RELIABLE car that runs well consistently and focus on having fun; not on being the fastest There's ALWAYS someone with a bigger budget that will be faster!
when i finish behind you, you will hear me telling you that
Old 06-28-2010, 11:41 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Here we intermingle the DE run groups with the race practices, can't do both.

All the stuff about racing costing more misses the point of why many of us race. I race because it is exponentially more fun than running around the track with cars that aren't close to mine in either power or skill. I'm currently on a tight budget and only race when I can scrape enough cash together to do so. That doesn't include a $1200.00 set of R6's (last ones I bought were WGI race 6/09). I'm relatively competitive on tires someone thought were used up and truly feel it's ME, not the tires, that are holding back a win from me. If I got to a point where racing my 911 just became impossible I would sell it and race a 944 until things changed or I die.

Why don't people race? It's WAY more that "it's too expensive", which is a joke if you look at the cars some people track. New GT3's, CUP Cars, GT2s, $100K 911s, and on and on. If you drive a 944 to the track AND race it, now that's commitment.

I have tracked 88, 97, and 2008 Carreras in DE until starting Club Racing this year in D class. The cost of the car is way less than each of my last two DE cars and fun quotieint is way more. Granted the per event cost for just consumables is double or more, but so worth the extra cash. As far as having to win to have fun, it is nice to be competitive but not required, because there is usually someone you can race within the race.

Even when things go wrong, like yesterday's black sprint at VIR that was red flagged then black flagged due to incidents at the front and the back of the field on the first lap, the ensuing five lap race when we got back underway was the most fun I have ever had on the track.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
DE = Masturbation
Racing = Intercourse

Gary... Happy?

Just kidding!
LOL, I took a year off between DE and racing and at the time, I told my friends that DEs were starting to feel like masturbation where you don't even finish the job.

By comparison, racing is like sex with a **** star.

However, to complete the analogy, sometimes (like the LRP race) that has meant that I finished the event before the real action started.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
LOL, I took a year off between DE and racing and at the time, I told my friends that DEs were starting to feel like masturbation where you don't even finish the job.

By comparison, racing is like sex with a **** star.

However, to complete the analogy, sometimes (like the LRP race) that has meant that I finished the event before the real action started.
Yes, you finished with the fluffer at LR
Old 06-30-2010, 07:50 AM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I race both a SM and a open wheeler. I usually have a lot more fun in the SM just because of the competition. No matter your talent level or budget, you will have at least two cars at your pace to battle with an entire SM race. If you're not smiling ear to ear after a SM race, you either crashed or need to bump up your prozac dose.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:23 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
when i finish behind you, you will hear me telling you that
Absolutely agree! That's the easiest excuse in racing. Almost anyone that already races can take their budget (initial capital cost and recurring variable/consumables expenses) and pick a class where they can afford a competitive winner car.

Why don't just they do that? It's the only way to find out how far are you as a driver from the the front (but it is always more comfortable to have an excuse)
Old 06-30-2010, 11:35 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by prg
I race both a SM and a open wheeler. I usually have a lot more fun in the SM just because of the competition. No matter your talent level or budget, you will have at least two cars at your pace to battle with an entire SM race. If you're not smiling ear to ear after a SM race, you either crashed or need to bump up your prozac dose.
I'm glad to hear this. I'm about to dive into SM racing. I've DE'ed for the last few years, but have never done any type of racing before. I fully expect it to cost more than DEing but since it is SM, it should still be a manageable cost (fingers crossed!).

Quick Reply: Why aren't more Black and Red run group drivers.........