Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why aren't more Black and Red run group drivers.........

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:44 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Here with NASA
2 day race vs 2 day DE
Entry Fees $289 DE- 2 $299 race - I call that a wash

Tires. - 944 spec I run 2 sets of tire all season long. I do always have 2 sets ready to race just incase I damage a tire, but I ran 8 races (1/2 my season) on one set of tires. I was always figthing for the lead in front pack. I could not afford to do even DE I had to runn hoosiers. However in spec class they are not even allowed. RA-1's are good to the cord even in racing.

Set-up - 944 spec has a spec suspension - $2500 for the entire thing. Done.... If you want to tweak it it costs you nothing. You just change it. Get a baseline alignment done and then adjust after that to suit you. Data Aq.. I don't have any at all. I never have in 10 year yet I am still competitive.

Bottomline is my racing budget is less than your DE budget.

Look racing is more expensive if you chose to race a PCA stock class car or even a PCA GT car. However if you chose a spec miata, 944 spec, spec E30 or even spec boxster. You can really but a lid on costs and race competitively for less. What costs racers big money is two things. New tires every event and the latest go fast parts.

Spec classes force you to on long lasting tires and prevent you from getting the latest go fast parts.

How many hours are spent before each weekend preparing to race?

vs preparing for a DE?

Thats what killed racing for me. $ costs were high, but the time commitment was out of control, consuming all free time, and then some... plus I couldn't afford the arrive and drive option. but some of my competition could.

I'll never forget changing to rain tires in the mud, and dirt, rushing to get in my suit, and while strapping in, my competition walks out of his RV freshly showered, with his crew helping him belt in...

thats when it seemed like work, for me.

ps: Are 3 way adjustable shocks allowed in spec 944?
Old 06-25-2010, 04:01 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
How many hours are spent before each weekend preparing to race? vs preparing for a DE?
Right now I am prepping for NASA Nationals. That is a unique event and in no way a typical race.

For a normal race weekend prep is often an oil change every 2-3 events. There are time my car never left the trailer between events. Earlier this year I did change a rod bearing, but that was part of chasing down a oil leak I had for the prior 2-3 events. I had some time so did the work. I could have still raced. I also and an alternator issues. Which I think I fixed, but agian I ran an event with the problem. I broght a battery charger and kept the battery topped off. I also had DME harness problem which caused minor issues on track. Again I ran 6-7 races like that no issues, but just fixed that this weekend.

So alot small stuff that is just maintence work. Little of which needed to be done before a race. I do alignments maybe 1 a year, but I do them myself.

My crew is me and my 74 year old father. He is a retired technican and is quite smart about cars. We built the car togehter. These days he comes out to the track for the fun of it and helps with timming laps. I do alot of grunt work. He is there for technial support for me and in fact for much of the rest of the 944 spec class.

None of us have crews.

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
ps: Are 3 way adjustable shocks allowed in spec 944?
Nope. Only thing we allow are Koni Yellow street shocks. They have a limted adjustment range on rebound only. Unless you are testing we just set them. We can adjust sway bars to tweak the balance and that works.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:24 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

NASA Natl's aren't for another almost 3 months? You're prepping now?
Old 06-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

We hope to find out how expensive it is in the coming year... I plan to get my provisional race license in the fall and then race the Spec Miata next season in Endurance Racing. We'll see. So far the miata has been easy on cash and zero issues to track. Trying to get the oldest son up to speed now so the two of us, along with another driver will be able to campaign it next year...

I expect it to be more of a hit on my time, but right now my DE prep work is a Day to get my 996TT ready:

Swap to track pads/bleed brakes/swap to track wheels/tires
Inspect all monoball suspension components before every event
Align the car to track suspension settings (Camber and toe changes to rear and caster/camber/toes changes to the front)
Install racing seats/harnesses
Instal tow hooks
remove tool kit/spare tire
Change oil in drysump every other event
Change oil in transaxle every other event

I'm fortunate that we have a drive on lift and a twin post lift in my shop to aid in doing this work, or I'd pay someone to do it, and do fewer events.

Mike
Old 06-25-2010, 06:17 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Van already knows about me... I have been racing in some form or fashion sense I was around 10 y/o... My father was a drag racer during the 60's early 70's and passed his passion along too all his children. While I haved moved from motorcycles into cars... my older brother still carries the motocross torch for the family.

I remember my father telling us, "you can never afford to race... You race because you love it! If you love it... You will find a way to afford it!"

When I joined the PCA... all around me knew that I would go racing. Working thru the DE ranks provided the chance too meet great people, learn a new track car while developing skills in a Porsche.

Is racing cheaper... never! Are all BLACK/RED drivers racers... NO. BUT, many of them have more then what it takes to be very successful CR's.

We all make the choices that seem right for each of our individual circumstances.

Myself, I would rather die then not race!

Last edited by CWhaley; 06-25-2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 06-25-2010, 06:45 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
NASA Natl's aren't for another almost 3 months? You're prepping now?
Because we don't run in the summer in Arizona. Next event is Aug and mini morning event (6am 10am). That will be used as a final shakdown and is the only track event before Nationals in my area.

Remaining prep is the following.
1) Paint car. I had some minor body dings I want to straighten out to look good of for the big show. I do my own body work.

2) Trailer prep. I want to wire my enclose trailer for 120V. I have and RV spot nationals so I have 120V power, but had been using extention cords. I rather have it nicer.

3) Oil change - need fresh oil for my motor

4) Last weekend I did my aligment. I adjusted rear toe and camber abit and recored all the settings. I may change it at nationals on the test day. I will be making up my own version of smart string since I am sick and tired of doing with jack stands.

5)Umm... not sure. - Oh yeah. Order a spare set of front brake pads. I replaced them last year at Nationals and might be due again.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
5)Umm... not sure. - Oh yeah. Order a spare set of front brake pads. I replaced them last year at Nationals and might be due again.
I bought a set of fresh front brake pads last year figuring I'd need them eventually and might as well have them around. Now I'm starting to think I'll never need them! I've got about 15 hard track days on my current pads (Hawk HT10) and they're still at about 50%.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:30 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

V-tach, where are you when we need you? Dare posting that pic you sent sms to me by accident. Come on Rocco!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:03 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jumping straight to the end here, but in glancing I see some talk of increased cost. Uh, yeah. Want cheap, go for a bike ride with your sweetie.

Anyway, did my first wheel-to-wheel races in FIVE years today. practice/qual/race 1/race 2. Put under 100 miles on the Spec Miata. I'm tired like I can't believe tonight. $120 entry, about $50 of 100 octane. Ran 5 year old RA1s. Only 16 racers, half were SM. Pole by 2.5 sec, 10+ sec win in race 1, 5 sec win in race 2 after starting P8 so I had something to do.....and led before the end of lap 1. Admittedly a novice/underprepared field as I SUCK driving the SM. (I was easily 3 sec/lap off what a proper winner in NASA or SCCA would be doing.)

Point is, doesn't have to break the bank.

Oh, and the uncountable number of GT3s and RSs? Yeah, they had an open passing group. It was crowded. They drove the same track. But unless you're uh......racing.......a friend or something out there, you're kinda just lapping. Right? (One thing the Golden Gate time trial series did make you do was tinker and strive for an end-of-weekend goal. And I am appreciative for that to keep my head in the competitive frame of mind when was getting back in to track events in the mid-'90's.)

Reflecting, I'm kicking myself for letting the 5 years go by with all the health/business/financial crap. I may hate the SM, but if it's what I've got prepped to race now then I'll make the most of it.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:46 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
V-tach, where are you when we need you? Dare posting that pic you sent sms to me by accident. Come on Rocco!
I wanna see this
Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
I wanna see this
I am guessing those pics would make VR blush, but what do I know?

Anyway, I think we have concluded that this sport is expensive no matter if you DE or Race......... so to each his own.........
Old 06-26-2010, 12:55 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

You all should try offshore boat racing...that is expensive!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:56 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I am guessing those pics would make VR blush, but what do I know?

Anyway, I think we have concluded that this sport is expensive no matter if you DE or Race......... so to each his own.........
Vito is the MAN with the pics!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,686 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Jumping straight to the end here, but in glancing I see some talk of increased cost. Uh, yeah. Want cheap, go for a bike ride with your sweetie.

Anyway, did my first wheel-to-wheel races in FIVE years today. practice/qual/race 1/race 2. Put under 100 miles on the Spec Miata. I'm tired like I can't believe tonight. $120 entry, about $50 of 100 octane. Ran 5 year old RA1s. Only 16 racers, half were SM. Pole by 2.5 sec, 10+ sec win in race 1, 5 sec win in race 2 after starting P8 so I had something to do.....and led before the end of lap 1. Admittedly a novice/underprepared field as I SUCK driving the SM. (I was easily 3 sec/lap off what a proper winner in NASA or SCCA would be doing.)

Oh, and the uncountable number of GT3s and RSs? Yeah, they had an open passing group. It was crowded. They drove the same track. But unless you're uh......racing.......a friend or something out there, you're kinda just lapping. Right? (One thing the Golden Gate time trial series did make you do was tinker and strive for an end-of-weekend goal. And I am appreciative for that to keep my head in the competitive frame of mind when was getting back in to track events in the mid-'90's.)

Reflecting, I'm kicking myself for letting the 5 years go by with all the health/business/financial crap. I may hate the SM, but if it's what I've got prepped to race now then I'll make the most of it.
since you hate SM so much,
take the yellow zonker out. get tony the kid to put a full cage in there and just do PRC racing.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

Ya know, I've found I have a love-hate relationship with our SM as well... It's kinda like a moped. Fun as hell when you're in it driving, but something you never want your friends to see you in...

I giggle like a school girl driving it on small tracks though!

Mike

Originally Posted by race911

Quick Reply: Why aren't more Black and Red run group drivers.........