Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:39 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
How is it that you are expecting new teams to build experience? The 107% rule is crap......
Actually, when used as part of an overall solution (i.e. allowing first year teams to test and I'm sure there are other ideas), the 107% rule isn't crap. The rule actually works in other forms of FIA racing, but again, the rule is never used/viewed in a vacuum.

I could sit down with a group of young karters (say 8-12), show them this year's F1 races and the first thing they would notice is the back markers and ask what are they still doing on the track?

The closing rates are ridiculous, (some of) the drivers are clearly way out of their comfort zone, the rules and track designs regarding where and how to move over are inadequate (although I would again fall back on the rule that the car being overtaken always holds the line, no matter what...let the passing car go off line....although debris and marbles might not make that such a great proposition).

Again, Formula One does not need new teams like those currently being fielded, no matter what level of nostalgia is applied to a name like Lotus.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Luca, is that you?
I'm sorry, Luca can't come to the phone right now.

He had to be put into a medically induced coma right after he watched Lewis Hamilton serve his drive thru penalty coming into the pit lane in second place and then rejoining the race in second place.

Now THAT must have been a Kodak moment to behold.

I am sure the minute that happened he was on the phone to the team telling them to come up with some other strategy to move his cars up in the final standings....yes, Delta Time, that should work.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro911
Overall - Track is lousy. I can think of much better venues in pretty much every continent.
No argument here!

Renault - Would someone please, for the love of whateverthehellyouwantittobe, get Kubica in a competitive car?
Ya think? Maybe Kubica should stay right were he is at. Renault is keeping pace with the top teams with respect to improving the car, and they have proven that they can build a car capable of winning it all. Maybe they just need a top driver committed to to staying with them for a few years so that they can maintain some continuity and develop the car exactly for him. If my memory serves me correctly, they won it twice just a handful of years ago.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:19 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Nope, the MW / HK incident was classic rookie driving, nothing to do with the need for rules, just the need for heads up racing. At the pinnacle of racing deal with it. Take a backmarker out of a jr kartrace? Ok, but slow traffic and using it to your advantage is a driver skill that should be learned and expected. The closing rates are far less than those in a LeMans grid under racing conditions. What about a disabled car limping back to the pits?

No need for more rules and I'd love to see more teams, if the front of the pack can't deal with a backmarker they don't have the skill to be a WDC...
Old 06-28-2010, 10:30 AM
wanna911
Race Car

I don't buy the closing speed argument like these aren't PROFESSIONAL drivers. They pass like this all the time in qualifying as guys run a set amount of laps, shut it down and come in for a cool down lap. Negotiating traffic is a part of the weekend.

You can't expect teams with no experience that built a car from the ground up some using spec engines and chassis to come in and be competitive. If they could, this really wouldn't be the pinnacle of motorsports now would it. Without testing the 107% rule is indeed garbage.

I'm wondering when safety is supposed to be important again, detached flying wheels are commonplace now and it seems to be a non-issue until someone gets hurt. Largely due to testing ban. For a while there you hardly ever saw a stray wheel, now they are everywhere.

More testing is needed, plain and simple.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
In all seriousness, are you saying Alonso did well today? I would call it pretty embarrassing.
So, we just want to focus on the starting position (4th) to the finishing position (8th)? I guess the fact that Hamilton compromised Alonso's and Massa's race had nothing to do with it? I was wondering what happened when Alonso didn't come in right behind Hamilton when the safety car was deployed (Since he was rigth behind him on track). Little did I know that Hamilton broke the rules and Alonso ended up getting stuck, while all these other cars came in. Then, a bunch of guys didn't follow the safety car rules and what kind of penalty is that - 5secs, c'mon.
Once everyone switched to primes, it was conserve mode for everyone except Kobayashi, who took full advantage of brand new tires and passed Alonso and Buemi.
Regards.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
So, we just want to focus on the starting position (4th) to the finishing position (8th)? I guess the fact that Hamilton compromised Alonso's and Massa's race had nothing to do with it? I was wondering what happened when Alonso didn't come in right behind Hamilton when the safety car was deployed (Since he was rigth behind him on track). Little did I know that Hamilton broke the rules and Alonso ended up getting stuck, while all these other cars came in. Then, a bunch of guys didn't follow the safety car rules and what kind of penalty is that - 5secs, c'mon.
Once everyone switched to primes, it was conserve mode for everyone except Kobayashi, who took full advantage of brand new tires and passed Alonso and Buemi.
Regards.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:40 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I believe that the team should be congratulated on a tire strategy that allowed him to be in the position to use the new options at the very end of the race with excellent track position.

Nicely done IMHO.
Strangely, I agree with you there.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The 107% rule is crap.

Seems like sports car guys ran run hours and hours and not get flipped over due to a slower car. Heck even us lowly club guys know how to run with cars that have massive lap time differences.

Seems to me the real problem is caused by stupid overtaking rules. In all other forms of motorsport the car doing the passing goes off line. The car being passed or lapped stays on line. This make the situation predictiable. How many times do we instructors tell studend "stay on line" instead these guys are supposed to "move off line". That is the problem here. Both Kovi and Webbo moved. Bang. Just like TK in Audi and wounded BMW art car at LeMans.

As for Hammy... Lucky bastard is what he was. Lucky in that his violation of the rules netted him positive. He was able to pass the safety car early to get a good gap then make is drive through with Kobi holding up the pack behind him.

Even so boring race... The best part was Kobi passing cars at the end. Seems to me the raing gets interesting when the tires don't last. If the tire last the car just circulate around forever.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
From the video, it looked like the safety car was going to go over the blend line when he saw Hamilton behind him and pulled back. Further, the safety car was past the pit limit line and then a second line in the blend line. I would venture to say no one on Rennlist knows the exact rule, but these guys in F1 do.

From what Matchett said, Hamilton should not have passed and Alonso was so adamate that he called the race results "Manipulated". Call me crazy, but when a 2 time WDC calls the race fixed, he is going to be fined very hard by the FIA or FOA.
I disagree with your interpretation. It appeared the safety car held back to allow Hamilton to pass. Furthermore, your assertion that McLaren is somehow receiving favoritism from the FIA is laughable. This team has recieved the highest fine and some of the stiffest penalties the sport has ever seen. What was interesting was listening to the Ferrari team radio transmissions of little miss sunshine telling the team and the team telling Charlie Whiting who to penalize. Ferrari International Assistance in action.

Half the field took penaties after Alonso threw a radio tantrum

Last edited by Ray S; 06-28-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I really like the guy, but Webber can be such a bonehead, he should have stayed right. And despite what he said, Kovalainen slowed early, period.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
So, we just want to focus on the starting position (4th) to the finishing position (8th)?
Sorry, I thought that is what racing is all about
Old 06-28-2010, 11:23 AM
wanna911
Race Car

The nerve of Alonso to talk about results being manipulated!!!!!! When he skated out scott free from a freaking scandal (that was built around himself) that almost ruined a whole team (who conversely seems better without him now).

Just when I was starting to give him the benefit of the doubt........

You too Pete, your Hamilton hatred glasses seem to make you forget that McLaren is the most heavily penalized team in the last 4 years. While rosy red gets away with one thing after another. Remember when Massa ran (I think it was Webber) over as he was exiting the pits and Webber got the penalty? You really have to be kidding to be a Ferrari fan.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
The nerve of Alonso to talk about results being manipulated!!!!!! When he skated out scott free from a freaking scandal (that was built around himself) that almost ruined a whole team (who conversely seems better without him now).

Just when I was starting to give him the benefit of the doubt........

THIS.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro911

Sauber and Williams - Particularly Sauber and KK, well done! Take advantage of any opportunity you can. That's the way the game's played. The Hulkster didn't look happy after he retired - soccer-kicking the tires.
You wouldn't like him when he's angry... HULK SMASH!

The 107% rule wouldn't have had any effect on this grid as has been mentioned already. I think the closing speed wasn't that fast until Heiki hit his braking mark, which happened to be way before Webber anticipated.

I think Alonso was pissed because from his perspective, Hamilton slowed down before the safety car line and then went for it in an attempt to stick Alonso as the first car behind the SC. So he's stuck fuming behind the SC as Lewis runs away. To add insult to injury, he hears from his team that Lewis got a penalty, but lost no ground because of it. I'd be pretty upset too if that happened to me.

Quick Reply: 2010 European Grand Prix (Valencia)