Sponsored by:

Harness for DE

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:51 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Harness for DE

I am looking for some opinions on harnesses for DE. I am installing a roll bar, fixed seats, and harnesses and also have a HANS.

I am leaning towards a six point setup over a 5 and am considering the following from g-force.
(http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/3-Cl...HOUSE-CLOSEOUT). This is 2009 DOM dated, but from what I understand from the PCA rule book, it should be acceptable for 5 yrs. I would assume the same is true for NASA and other series?

I was also looking at the Schroth Clubman (http://www.apexperformance.net/cartgenie/prod-1582.htm). I appreciate Schroth’s reputation and I also like that fact that they provide actual data and information related to the engineering/design of their product on the website.

I realize safety and cost can be a touchy subject, but I am curious if there are any opinions out there as to one choice or the other or if there is something else I should be considering. TIA.

Note: I plan on purchasing the same equipment for both driver and passenger.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:01 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since they're both SFI rated, there would be any difference in safety.

one thing to note is if the adjusters are pull-up or pull-down. makes a difference in ease of use depending on your seat. you've already picked camlock from what it looks like. just be sure to insert and yank back on each belt so that you know you're fully locked.

be sure to properly mount the subbelts or they won't be effective.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:11 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I have the G-Force on my passenger seat and an M and R in the drivers seat. Both work fine. I have worn Shroth's in other cars. All things being equal I'd buy the Schroth

Last edited by MUSSBERGER; 06-13-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:30 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my Teamtech (6-point rampack with sternum strap).
http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/r...ess/index.html
You feel like you have a full vest on!
Not too easy to use with the Hans (I've done it).
Old 06-11-2010, 11:33 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

one thing to note is if the adjusters are pull-up or pull-down. makes a difference in ease of use depending on your seat.
Good point, I have only used pull down and the closeout G-force that I am looking at is pull up. In a way it seems like pull up on the lap would be easier to do by yourself, but maybe I am missing something, again no personal experience with them.

you've already picked camlock from what it looks like
I am still a little on the fence on this. I have only used cams, but do apprecieate the fact that latch and link is simple and has practicaly zero potential to unlock if assembled correctly. I have never used one though and wonder if seem like a PITA after using cam locks.

I guess as a follow up, I have noticed that there are 2" shoulder belt harnesses out there for use with HANS. I have not yet been able to determine if this is simply for comfort or for some other reason. From what I have read, the HANS was designed for use with 3" belts, so I am a little confused about this.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:39 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
I love my Teamtech (6-point rampack with sternum strap).
http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/r...ess/index.html
You feel like you have a full vest on!
Not too easy to use with the Hans (I've done it).
Their product must be better than their website
Old 06-11-2010, 11:49 AM
krystar
Drifting

teamtech needs to work on their web publishing....those pictures look like they were taken with a 1mp cell phone cam
Old 06-11-2010, 11:52 AM
krystar
Drifting

i've used camlock and it's real simple and intuitive. but i bought latchlink instead. i takes a bit of effort to put on. when i was reading on camlock vs latchlink, the one thing that stuck out was how a latchlink is plainly visible if it's locked. a camlock...you can't see the lock. and i like how there's no small parts to fail. everything's beefy
Old 06-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krystar
i've used camlock and it's real simple and intuitive. but i bought latchlink instead. i takes a bit of effort to put on. when i was reading on camlock vs latchlink, the one thing that stuck out was how a latchlink is plainly visible if it's locked. a camlock...you can't see the lock. and i like how there's no small parts to fail. everything's beefy
Keep in mind that with a HANS (or Defnder or R3) the more you can do by feel, the better, since head range of motion is restricted.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

6pt usracegear.com
Old 06-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Go with a 6-point, the family jewels will appreciate it. Take it from a man who was recently in a 50 mph track crash with a 5-point belt
Old 06-11-2010, 12:52 PM
kush07
Racer

Although you could use either, the HANS is designed with a 2" harness in mind.

2" lap belts are also being touted to be safer as the belt sits lower on your hips allowing less movement in the event of an accident. Schroth site talks about this.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kush07
Although you could use either, the HANS is designed with a 2" harness in mind.

2" lap belts are also being touted to be safer as the belt sits lower on your hips allowing less movement in the event of an accident. Schroth site talks about this.

No a HANS was never designed with a 2" harness in mind. They were desgined with 3" shoulder straps and have always been tested with the 3" straps for their certification.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:14 PM
kush07
Racer

Maybe "designed" was a poor choice of words, but I'm pretty sure a 2" is preferred for comfort and effectiveness (not that a 3" isn't effective).
Old 06-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kush07
Maybe "designed" was a poor choice of words, but I'm pretty sure a 2" is preferred for comfort and effectiveness (not that a 3" isn't effective).
It's more due to the number of people who don't have the shoulder harnesses mounted in the ideal location for the HANS device. The 2" feels better for some when their harnesses aren't mounted in the correct way. Nowhere is it said by HANS or anyone that the 2" is more effective than a 3" shoulder harness.

Quick Reply: Harness for DE