Sponsored by:

DE Brake fluid and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:26 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Like others have said, if you don't mind the cost, then SRF is worth it. The Michelin MPSCs will last along time and are great for DE use. Same with the Toyo RA1s.
Too further Marks's statement... (from a Guy whom uses his brakes hard)... When you start really putting heat into them you will want to graduate up to a fluid more then ATE. ( I have run it for the last 3 season ... Because I was geting it for free! ~ that wagon finally left the station, thus, SRF here I come! ) As for the MPSC's they are a tire that likes HEAT! Run them hard and abuse them and you can still click off fast laps. Will they last... sure! I ran a set thru over 40 heat cycles before finally killing them at THE CLASH... Are they the fastest tires out there? Some say "NO" can you get your money out of them? You bet!
Old 06-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

Chris:
You did get your money's worth out of the MPSCs
Old 06-11-2010, 03:53 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

They really did treat me right...
Old 06-11-2010, 04:34 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
See, this is what I don't understand about people using ATE blue and having to change fluid all the time. I buy one bottle of SRF at the beginning of the season for $70, flush the system and never bleed or change again until the next season, and I have a heavy and fast car. Besides the hassle of constantly bleeding the system, the cost of the many bottles of blue costs more in the long run. IMO, it's a no brainer.
Potomac requires a flush after 6 months. you need to flush you brakes twice a season. The tech form has a box that you put the fill date in. Keep in mind many, make that most, cars track just fine on the $12 a quart fluid and if you are required to flush it every 6 months the $70 a quart fluid offers no added value.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I use Motul 660 which has pretty much the same performance as SRF at less cost. I flush it every spring.

MPSC tires will last 25-30 heat cycles. A 20 minute DE session is a heat cycle. There will be tread left but the rubber will have become hard and there will be less grip.

Regards,
Old 06-11-2010, 05:06 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I use Motul 660 which has pretty much the same performance as SRF at less cost. I flush it every spring.

MPSC tires will last 25-30 heat cycles. A 20 minute DE session is a heat cycle. There will be tread left but the rubber will have become hard and there will be less grip.

Regards,
I hear you there on the calculations... Still I did 40 cycles and had plenty of sticky rubber until I corded those ( front )babies. Mark can verify that...
While this is not the normal case. As for the ATE... when it is free you do not mind flushing the system 2 or 3 times a season. It just becomes part of the pre-event prep.

Last edited by CWhaley; 06-11-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:09 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's some data on brake fluids. i used the SRF on my previous 997 with steel brakes because of the heat i'd put into them. i found it to be tremendously better than the couple other alternatives i tried.
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

Regards,
I'm wondering if all HC's are created equal, i.e. you're on-pace with tire temps 200deg-220deg, versus say 160deg. Fewer heat cycles before they seriously fall off at the upper end? or does it matter?

Agree with Bob on fluid. Use decent fluid - SRF(my choice) or Motul - flush yearly and maybe bleed every now and again if the car is tracked a lot. I would guess ATE could get by on a bleed before an event (or two) as well with no problem.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:13 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used ATE 200 for a while. I works great until you really push your car and get more track days. Every couple of track days it is advisable to swap your wheels from side to side because most tracks have predominantly right turns.
So for your first year or two ATE will work fine if you just rotate your tires and do a bleed of all four brakes at the same time. It is a really good idea to get the wheels off anyways and really inspect the wheel well area, cooling ducts and brakes etc.
As for tires, I run MPSC's for 15 days which is 60, yes....60 heat cycles. Does the performance of the tire drop off after so many heat cycles? Sure, but they are okay and my budget does not allow for throwing MPSC's away after 6 days as some have suggested. You guys that are doing that pm me and I'll pay shipping on your used tires and run them on my car.
The problem you may see is that if your alignment is not agressive enough you will wear the outside shoulders of the tires and that combined with the heat cycles will bring an end to that set of rubber.
With a good track alignment and swapping tires side to side you will get a good amount of days on them, a few bleeds in between and you are all set.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:19 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CT03911
I have used ATE 200 for a while. I works great until you really push your car and get more track days. Every couple of track days it is advisable to swap your wheels from side to side because most tracks have predominantly right turns.
So for your first year or two ATE will work fine if you just rotate your tires and do a bleed of all four brakes at the same time. It is a really good idea to get the wheels off anyways and really inspect the wheel well area, cooling ducts and brakes etc.
As for tires, I run MPSC's for 15 days which is 60, yes....60 heat cycles. Does the performance of the tire drop off after so many heat cycles? Sure, but they are okay and my budget does not allow for throwing MPSC's away after 6 days as some have suggested. You guys that are doing that pm me and I'll pay shipping on your used tires and run them on my car.
The problem you may see is that if your alignment is not agressive enough you will wear the outside shoulders of the tires and that combined with the heat cycles will bring an end to that set of rubber.
With a good track alignment and swapping tires side to side you will get a good amount of days on them, a few bleeds in between and you are all set.
I agree... swapped mine L/R R/L after every couple of sessions. Sometime less... sometimes more.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

With Hoosiers we actually dismount them and flip them on the rim to get full life out of them, if you are wearing on an edge (for us it is the inside) that will work for any tire. I'm with CT03911, I raced at Limerock and Watkins Glen on tires someone else tossed, keep em coming, I need new take-offs for NJMP!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Swap MPSC

I agree. I swap my Cups after each track event and have gotten 40+ heat cycles on the rears and more on the fronts. Usually one of the rears cords first. I seem to get almost twice the wear from the fronts so I just replace both rears when that happens.

Regarding ATE, I do a major flush once per year and a minor one every other time I swap the tires. I have never had any fade/boiling issues even at Blackhawk (a brake intensive track) or Road America (high speeds but cool off time)
Old 06-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Potomac requires a flush after 6 months. you need to flush you brakes twice a season. The tech form has a box that you put the fill date in. Keep in mind many, make that most, cars track just fine on the $12 a quart fluid and if you are required to flush it every 6 months the $70 a quart fluid offers no added value.
Well the way I make this work is I don't do Potomac events until June, that way I can flush my fluid at the end of May and 6 months later is after the November event, so technically I'm following the rules.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I might add Endless RBF 650 racing Fluid to the list of excellent brake fluids...check it out, it is a tad less expensive than SRF.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
I might add Endless RBF 650 racing Fluid to the list of excellent brake fluids...check it out, it is a tad less expensive than SRF.
For most of us that race anything above 600F is fine and gets swapped out at regular intervals. I bleed/flush mine several times a year and use Motul 660 but I be the 600 would be fine for me..

Quick Reply: DE Brake fluid and Tires