Sponsored by:

DE Brake fluid and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:47 PM
1way2rock
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DE Brake fluid and Tires

If you are doing many DE events should you be changing brake fluid sooner than 6 months and if yes after how many events?

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup how many DE track days will I get from them?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Brakes - Depends on the type of fluid you use, how many events, and what level you are.

Tires - many here run PSC's that should be able to be fairly accurate but that will depend to a degree on the level of driver also.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:09 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Use Castrol SRF or Endless RBF 650 and you'll only need to bleed occasionally, if at all. I race my cars and do a bleed after 10 races. It is $$ up front but less expensive over time if you do a lot of DE's. These fluids also give an excellent pedal feel. For tires I'd use Toyo RA 1 or Michelin Pilot Sport Cups.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 PM
1way2rock
Rennlist Member

I am a novice and have completed 2 DE and will end up doing 9 DE events this year. Changed the brake fluid before first DE and used ATE Super Blue.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:07 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with superblue if it isnt ready for a change after 3-4 events then you arent using them hard enough

ATE is (in my mind) the lowest end of track-ready fluids. I use motul RBF600 or 660. SRF is superior in wet boiling point which is why it lasts so long, but you definitely have to pay for it. If it is just DEs and not racing then maybe SRF is the way to go and then you dont have to worry about bleeding fluid.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:35 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts

Like others have said, if you don't mind the cost, then SRF is worth it. The Michelin MPSCs will last along time and are great for DE use. Same with the Toyo RA1s.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:46 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
Use Castrol SRF or Endless RBF 650 and you'll only need to bleed occasionally, if at all. I race my cars and do a bleed after 10 races. It is $$ up front but less expensive over time if you do a lot of DE's. These fluids also give an excellent pedal feel. For tires I'd use Toyo RA 1 or Michelin Pilot Sport Cups.
10 races = 3-4 weekends?

WOW, I'm just a DE'er but NEED to change the ATE blue ever weekend... (sometimes each day)

do others get that kind of life out of their brake fluid?

(and it takes 2-3 bottles to get a complete flush? right?)
Old 06-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I've always used Ate blue and gold and have never had a boiling or performance issue. If I feel the need to spend more for fluid, I'll just give the guy another $15 for another bottle of Ate!

Since I swap tires for a DE, I routinely do a quick bleed (not a flush) before any DE. If you are a DIY'er get a Motiv Power Bleeder ($50) and bleeding becomes as easy as putting air in your tires (once your tires are off). I've never had a brake problem, so maybe my frequency is overkill, but I can't imagine anything more bothersome than losing brakes at speed.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See, this is what I don't understand about people using ATE blue and having to change fluid all the time. I buy one bottle of SRF at the beginning of the season for $70, flush the system and never bleed or change again until the next season, and I have a heavy and fast car. Besides the hassle of constantly bleeding the system, the cost of the many bottles of blue costs more in the long run. IMO, it's a no brainer.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:19 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1way2rock
If you are doing many DE events should you be changing brake fluid sooner than 6 months and if yes after how many events?

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup how many DE track days will I get from them?

Thanks for the help.
you will feel you how your pedal response changes - flush fluid for your first event for sure and replace it with racing brand - search here on forum.
I highly recommend you to get you own bleeder kit as it is a simple job and saves ton of money to do it yourself. get pagid yellow brake pads for sure as well.

I did 2 DE events and 5 autocrosses so far this season, after this weekend I will bleed it out as at lest event I just felt how I was flooring my brakes more often than before, so, it is time. But I have inexpensive fluid - motul 600.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:52 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

...well the fact is that ATE "super blue" isn't so super for track use IMHO...I wouldn't waste my time opening the bottle.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:17 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

+1 on rbf 600. Been very happy since I switched from ate, and I bleed once a year. Pedal feel is fantastic.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Land Jet
See, this is what I don't understand about people using ATE blue and having to change fluid all the time. I buy one bottle of SRF at the beginning of the season for $70, flush the system and never bleed or change again until the next season, and I have a heavy and fast car. Besides the hassle of constantly bleeding the system, the cost of the many bottles of blue costs more in the long run. IMO, it's a no brainer.
I've never changed fluid because I have to. I've never had a problem with Ate. Never. And that's three different cars, all in "DE" service, but including 30 minute sessions in summer heat.

I just bleed frequently because it seems like a good idea. I could probably go a full season, but it's just that easy to bleed. Use doesn't degrade brake fluid as much as time does.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:22 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Same experience here as Landjet. Heavy car (2002 996TT X50), put SRF once a year, never worry.
No issues whatsoever, don't even know what brake fade feels like. Worth every penny.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
...well the fact is that ATE "super blue" isn't so super for track use IMHO...I wouldn't waste my time opening the bottle.
Only thing "Super" about super blue is the super way it stains your reservoir and turns your new fluid aqua until you pump about a gallon through the lines! People think SRF is crazy expensive but need to understand that the $75 bottle is double the size of everyone elses so to compare it's $37.50 compared to the $24.00 I pay for Motul 660 (IIRC). Not too big a deal in the scheme of things...

Quick Reply: DE Brake fluid and Tires