Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is using Race Technology DL1 etc??

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Who is using Race Technology DL1 etc??

I'm looking at switching up to this as there is a good deal to be had. When I say up, I mean from a Driftbox. I have never had much success with the software side nor am I particularly adept at this stuff, but I figure it's something I will have to do so may as well get something pretty decent. From what I can see it's a product that can be used in it's basic form to start with and you become more involved as time progresses. I want to hook it up to video too so if anyone is out there using this system w video please make your impressions known. I would also be getting the DASH3 display unit.

I know there is a big following for Traqmate and I am tempted by this product due to it's apparent ease of use, but from what I understand it is ultimately limited in comparison to the DL1.

I've read quite a bit using search but can't find too many people talking about it specifically.

T.I.A.

Last edited by 333pg333; 06-04-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW

Race Technology makes the DL1.

Racepack makes the IQ3, G2X etc.

Yes, the Traqmate is limiting compared to the DL1, but it's also a simpler piece in many respects which can be a plus. The limitations are mainly in what the logger can record. The DL1 is a full data logger where the Traqmate can handle 4 external inputs plus RPM. Also the data crunching software is more limited for Traqmate than it is with Race Technology. Both are very good systems and you can't go wrong with either.

What exactly do you want out of a data system? Dash replacement? Engine and driver data or just driver?

What kind of support is their for both systems in Australia?
Old 06-04-2010, 02:22 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Whoops, thanks Joe. Fixed.

Essentially I want something that I can have live data in the cabin such as lap times, splits, predictive etc and then be able to dissect finer detail in the pits or at home. Also to be able to marry info direct onto video with info overlay. I sort of feel like I would find the Traqmate easier based on many user's opinions, however the DL1 will allow me to 'grow' into it in as much as starting with the basics and learning to understand the info available. The deal comes with a DASH3 so it's not a dash replacement. This is for my road/track car so that's fine.

As far as support, there is a local outfit or division of Race Tech, but the unit I'm looking at currently resides in the US. It's a price driven purchase in that regard....so not sure how much support I can count on by the local guys?
Old 06-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the DL1+Dash3 combo, and would recommend it.

It's actually quite easy to set up the basic functions (RPM, throttle position, brake light, gear), and with additional sensors it can log many other channels (steering, brake pressure, ride height, temps, etc.)

I use trackvision for video overlay.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:24 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
It's a price driven purchase in that regard....so not sure how much support I can count on by the local guys?
I wonder if buying a data system because you can get a great price makes sense; it sounds like you are going to invest a fair amount of time in learning the system, so are you sure you want to buy a system because of the price (and please don't take this as a criticism of the system you are considering; just suggesting that it could be false economy).
For what its worth, I have an AIM MXL with a SmartyCam, which I like a lot (though I haven't actually been on the track with the SmartyCam yet). Combined they would do what you are considering, I think.
Either way - have fun with data and video. Lots of discussion on both in the last couple of years.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:42 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a DL-1 but have to have Toby tell me what it says.

I also use trackvision.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:45 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for trackvision
Old 06-04-2010, 06:09 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I wonder if buying a data system because you can get a great price makes sense; it sounds like you are going to invest a fair amount of time in learning the system, so are you sure you want to buy a system because of the price (and please don't take this as a criticism of the system you are considering; just suggesting that it could be false economy).
For what its worth, I have an AIM MXL with a SmartyCam, which I like a lot (though I haven't actually been on the track with the SmartyCam yet). Combined they would do what you are considering, I think.
Either way - have fun with data and video. Lots of discussion on both in the last couple of years.
You raise a valid point Rick, but it may be just coincidental that this setup also does what I want anyway. I would need to get something like Trackvision to complete it though.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Race Technology carries something similar to the SmartyCam called the Video4. A great setup but a bit pricier at nearly 2,000 USD. Although it can handle multiple video inputs. The RT stuff is very good equipment and good software as well. I have a number of people I work with running the stuff.

The big thing is how much time do you want to spend on data after each week and how much time are you willing to spend to learn the software. If you're on the end of the spectrum that wants simple with minimal work, the Traqmate is a great option. If you're willing to put in the time, the DL1, AIM, etc. are all good choices.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:57 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yes, this is the question. I have to be sensible and practical and knowing myself, I'm not really a PC techy guy. This is what is pulling me from one product to the next and back again. I'd like to believe I can get the best use out of the DL1...but....
Old 06-05-2010, 04:02 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

I have had the DL1 for 2 years, Dash 2 for 4 months, and just added the Video4 two weeks ago. Currently record brake pressure, steering angle, throttle position, oil temp and pressure, and tranny temp. You won't get predictive lap etc without a Dash unit. Unit is set to go on above a certain speed, so don't have to worry about wether I forgot to turn it on for each run/race session. works great. A tad pricey, but solid, and you can grow into it. Can add wheel speed, suspension sensors, etc as you need.
I did not want to spend on a system that I would outgrow, then go through the trouble and expense of having to replace all the sensors
Old 06-05-2010, 09:24 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Rich, how long did it take to feel comfortable with the system and are you a tech savvy dude or run of the mill sort of guy when it comes to those sort of things?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:31 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

somewhere between tech savy and "run of mill". Not a geek, but work with computers daily. Their software is really simple to review the DL1 data. Setting up the Dash2 was harder, but the support is good. The video4 is really cool. Just take out the CF card, grab the file onto your screen, double click the file, and watch the synched data.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Rennlist Member

Just saw that Race Technology is having a webminer later this month.

------------------------------------------------

This month we will be holding two webinars instead of having the normal training course in the Nottingham office, these will return in July for those interested.
The structure of the webinar will be more or less the same as for the training course, we will cover the basic installation of a DL1 data logger, how it’s configured and what is needed to start logging data. We will then cover the basic controls of the Analysis software and how we can use them to help us go faster.

We will be using Cisco WebEx to deliver the presentation and the maximum number of participants for each session will be 24. If you have a large group of people wanting to attend please contact us and we can arrange a private session.

The webinars will be held on Saturday the 26th June, the first session will be at 09:00 UTC/GMT (10:00 BST, 19:00 Australian Eastern Standard Time). The second session will be at 16:00 UTC/GMT (17:00 BST, 09:00 Pacific Daylight time (L.A), 12:00 Eastern Daylight Time (N.Y))

Both sessions will cover exactly the same topics they are just intended for different time zones. Places will be allocated on a first come first served bases, to book a place contact: sales@race-technology.com
Old 06-16-2010, 09:49 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that Toby. Very helpful.

Quick Reply: Who is using Race Technology DL1 etc??