Sponsored by:

Video from Maverick PCA DE at ECR 5/29/2010

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 11:33 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
that's car dependent. ECR is not a horsepower track whereas TWS is. hence why the miata can be nearly as fast as some of the GT3s at ECR.
I disagree. I think ECR is much more a horsepower track than TWS. TWS has large radius sweepers which are all about momentum. ECR is a lot of long straights (and the longest straights are uphill) joined by relatively sharp radius double turns. A momentum car cannot carry much momentum at ECR. At TWS, the only place I give up any real momentum is 13/14/15 and T10. I can carry significant momentum everywhere else at TWS.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:23 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Read your post. You have several points that make absolutely no sense. It is very clear you don't know this track by your comments and a few other comments are the opposite of what is taught.
You are probably right. I have no idea what I am talking about. Sorry! One day I hope to make it ECR!

How can there be less steering coming out of a turn with an EARLIER APEX? The only way I could be full throttle at apex is with a LATER apex. The more steering angle that is in, the less throttle you can give. An earlier apex means more steering. This is why on the first day we teach students about late apexing.
In this instance, my comment was direct to the U-turns. [But also think of little bend at MSR, if you trail in properly, you carry more speed and unwind coming out of the turn]. As for ECR, you should early apex the first part. Even the videos you reference show this. Which is way different than the way you drove them in your videos. And your comment is at least some evidence that you are not trail braking, and possibly don't understand what it really is or how to apply it. You can rotate the car with less steering under braking. You really can. Then you will have less steering coming out of the corner as VR and others have said. Unwind from apex out [specifically the 2nd apex on the U-turns] - NOT add more steering. Also, if you were trailing in longer, you could lock the diff so you could put the power down better. Some folks don't like this method and would rather prep the corner with the brakes, and it appears you are one of them. No worries, both work, but trailing in may be faster depending on the turn. Personally, I don't think late apexing the first part of the U-turn is particularly fast at ECR.

You are correct that I do lift or tap the brake in corner. This is when the car is pushing and I need to tighten the line. This is basic weight transfer.
What is also basic is that giving up exit speed and early WOT is bad. It is better to give up the entry a bit so you can get to WOT earlier.

I use this a lot when I go up T10 where the car wants to push a lot. A slight lift of throttle does wonders in giving a little rotation. I am sure I could roll on throttle a lot earlier if I was not carrying as much speed. BTW, if you want to enter a corner faster you brake less and carry more speed in. As you mention, I do brake late. I have been intentionally displacing the apexes in turn 3 and 6. From the data I captured, I don't believe this is providing any benefit as previously noted. If you knew the track, then you know that turn 3 is a decreasing radius turn and the corner exit is off camber.
Yeah, my statements might make some sense if I knew the track. Oh, well. Perhaps the carrying more speed into the corner is the problem? I think I have heard something that might be relevant "Slow in, fast out." But it might not apply to ECR.

You have to give more steering input to make the second apex. Here are some other videos to watch:

http://www.davidmurry.com/pca-videos...anyon-may.html
You should watch these and compare them to your video. Looks way different. Also, could you point me to the cockpit cam videos? I missed them. I want to see the steering input you mention. Personally, I think you can hold a constant steering input through 3, 6, and 11 and still get to WOT by the apex. It's like the Boothill-Tombstone complex at MSR CCW. Oh, you should also watch Bryan Henderson's video if you want to know what the "best" line is for a 911 - then compare it to yours.

Watch some of the better drivers like Jim Buckley and Rocky Johnson. You will notice they both give throttle and reduce some steering to get widen their arc. Both give more steering input and a light lift to turn to hit the second apex. You will also hear (and watch the G meter) both not get hard on the throttle until almost track out. Also watch what they do for T11. Buckley brakes more and enters slower to get on the gas earlier in the turn while Rocky carries more speed in and stays neutral until he gets closer to apex when he puts throttle in. Both do this as there is a lack of grip in the center of T11.
Sorry, I still couldn't find the video showing the cockpit cam. Also, I think you may be misinterpreting unwinding the wheel to catch the car as it comes around [U-turns in particular] vs unwinding the wheel to reorient the car for the 2nd apex, which is what you are doing. That is, you are steering the car through the corner with the steering wheel rather than with the throttle.

Finally, if you want to really see the difference tires make; watch the last video of Doug Bielefeld in his GT2. He is driving on Michelin Cup racing slicks (not MPSCs). That is a car that was hooked up.
One day I will try some sticky tires. It might make a difference. Good suggestion.

Just so I have some point of reference: How many times have you actually been to ECR? What group do you run in? Have you ever had Buckley in your car? That's a trick question, btw. It appears you recently got this car and are still sorting it out and learning to drive it. You might even be driving with traction control on. IMO, you should continue to get instruction [at this track in particular] and then revisit this thread and your comments in say a year or two. It might surprise you.

Lastly, I was able to locate a video of an older 996 [non GT3] with a feet cam. Notice how the throttle is all the way down at most of the apexes. Also, it looks like there isn't much steering through the U-turn corners, just holding/catching the car. The lap was around 2:05 - so just a few seconds off your pace in a car with 10 years less technology and ~150 less HP at the wheels, so I think this video is a good "representative" ECR lap. Just my $0.02.

-td
[edited for clarity]

Last edited by himself; 06-05-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:15 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by himself
You are probably right. I have no idea what I am talking about. Sorry! One day I hope to make it ECR!...
...One day I will try some sticky tires. It might make a difference. Good suggestion.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:12 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
I disagree. I think ECR is much more a horsepower track than TWS. TWS has large radius sweepers which are all about momentum. ECR is a lot of long straights (and the longest straights are uphill) joined by relatively sharp radius double turns. A momentum car cannot carry much momentum at ECR. At TWS, the only place I give up any real momentum is 13/14/15 and T10. I can carry significant momentum everywhere else at TWS.
hm, interesting. i see a track with long straights and high top speed as a hp track. even if you carry momentum at TWS, the longer straights (esp the banking) benefit a hp car.

although I do see your point that the repeat slow-uturn-accelerate process at ECR can benefit a higher hp car.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:57 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lauren,

It's only fair to point out that "himself" has not only been to ECR several times, he also instructs. He's arguably quicker than me despite driving an earlier model GT3, and since I was arguably quicker than you coming out of some of the turns where you are describing "push", there might be something to gain in trying to understand what he's telling you.

Just take a close look at the video where I was right in front of you, and go to Turn 10. Look especially at (1:35 and 7:50) Do you think I was pulling away from you as we went up the hill and down the first half of the straight? If you say no, then ignore everything that follows.

[/QUOTE]

If you say yes, then ask yourself "why, especially given your hp advantage?" Could it be that you were causing your car to push by the way you were driving it, thus losing momentum as you turned up the hill? Could it be that I was on the gas earlier in the turn than you were? Maybe.

I think the more likely answer, however is that while you were making mid turn corrections and lifting (your description), I was stepping on the throttle to rotate. This difference fueled itself, because your reaction would push the nose further into the hill (more understeer) while mine gave me even more flexibility to push the throttle harder.

Look at how you are leaning your body into the turn at T10. That body language suggests that you are fighting with the front wheels. But on most of the uphill turns at ECR, I'm lifting the inside front wheel off the ground. There's nothing there to fight. So while you are letting off the gas and shifting the weight towards further understeer, I'm dialing in the gas and shifting the weight away from understeer. That's how the gap was created.

Yes, I had stickier tires, but why would they make that big a difference going up the hill at T10 on just 3 wheels with moderate lateral g's, but NOT help me to pull away from you through much higher lateral g's in T8-9 that came before it?

You're already a fast driver... think how much quicker you could be if you gave some of himself's tips a try.

Thanks for the clarification on the other black GT3. That was just such a great photo that I figured it had to have come from fantastic lead/follow run we had on Saturday Thanks again for making my day with that run.
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

TD, why would he listen to either of us?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-05-2010, 09:52 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
TD, why would he listen to either of us?
If you ask my wife, nobody should ever listen to me. She is probably right.

But I've heard that you know a thing or two about cars and stuff and sweet avatars. Is that rumor or what?

-td
Old 06-05-2010, 09:53 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,301 Likes on 615 Posts

oh god no...shuffle steering!! that's the number one thing I have no idea why people do
Old 06-05-2010, 11:09 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

But I've heard that you know a thing or two about cars and stuff and sweet avatars. Is that rumor or what?

-td
Like the sign at the zoo says.... DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

If you ask my wife, nobody should ever listen to me. She is probably right.

-td

LMAO all rumor, I assure you. But I do know about torque vs. horsepower.

LOLOL Russell & CJ!!!!

Old 06-06-2010, 03:10 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

OP. Do you have video/data from MSR? Just curious as many folks here are MSR junkies. It may also shed some light on the steering input question we seem to disagree about.

-td

Last edited by himself; 06-06-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

OP. Do you have video/data from MSR? Just curious as many folks here are MSR junkies. It may also shed some light on the steering input question we seem to disagree about.

-td

Dead silence.

He does. I have seen some of them.

By the way, how did you like H2R?

Old 07-19-2010, 12:51 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dead silence.

He does. I have seen some of them.

By the way, how did you like H2R?
Fun track! But now it's bumpy as all get out and it was frickin hot that weekend! I didn't have enough rider-free sessions to clean up my lines in all of the corners, or really maximize the braking zones. I was OK with my ultimate times, but I couldn't break into the 1:26s, which I thought was doable even with the conditions and setup. [I was using 15+ HC Hoosiers, bumpy track, and full stiff rear bar!] Bumps + old tires did not instill any confidence to trail brake very deep. Eh, it's all excuses for the poor driving on my part...

Here is a video of a few laps in the 27s and 28s. The video does not reflect the true bumpiness of this track!

-td
Old 07-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is a video of a few laps in the 27s and 28s. The video does not reflect the true bumpiness of this track!
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but here's some video from my car that same weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AljliXx2_Kg

I turned a 1:26.3 (a personal best) on Sunday afternoon. With my stock PASM in "normal" mode the bumps through 8 don't give me much grief, but I'm definitely timid on the throttle out of 11 and on to the front straight because of how upset the car can get.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:52 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
..With my stock PASM in "normal" mode the bumps through 8 don't give me much grief...
What is PASM? lol [j/k]. Us 996'ers don't got no stinking PASM.

-td

Quick Reply: Video from Maverick PCA DE at ECR 5/29/2010