Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent: Help with brake pad change. Unable to remove pads.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent: Help with brake pad change. Unable to remove pads.

I am unable to remove the old brake pads. Mine is a 996 C4S.

I've removed the retraining pin and and the clip (brake sensor was already tied to the side for a prior change, so the senor is irrelevant here). I can see the brake pads sitting in between the pistons and the rotors, but for the life of me I can't remove them.

In the first video below the brake pads just falls out, mine is stuck like it's welded to the rotors. What can I be doing wrong?

Thank you

I used these instructions at renntech and here

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...-instructions/

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt2-and-...t2-or-gt3.html

and these videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOx4wnkLEy0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-SotOWfsOI
Old 05-31-2010, 03:26 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Have you pushed back the pistons to free the pads?

The pads should come out pretty easy if the pistons are pushed back a bit.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:34 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Just spin the rotor a bit to verify your pads are not actually welded to the rotor

You have to push the pads off the rotors. You can use a spreader, channel locks, or a big screwdriver. You are going to need to push the ALL THE WAY back so the new pads will fit anyway. That is, the pistons need to be pushed all the way into th caliper. Personally, I use a screw driver and pry (carefully) against the rotor until the pads are pushed all the way back.

-td
Old 05-31-2010, 03:37 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

How do I push back the pistons?

I got this gizo called 'disc brake pad spreader' at harbour freight. The piston is hidden inside, how do I spread it? I tried to push on the brake pads against the rotors to push the pistons. it's not working.

How do I push back the psitons?
Old 05-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by himself
You have to push the pads off the rotors. You can use a spreader, channel locks, or a big screwdriver.

Also, just spin the rotor a bit to verify your pads are not actually welded to the rotor

-td
The rotor spins with incredible friction. Is this normal?, it's stuck hard.

I will try to push the pads off the rotors and see.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:38 PM
mkd944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple of things to check....

1. Make sure that the pistons are fully retracted into the caliper. There are various tools and methods for pushing them into the caliper. I use a large pair of pliers with the back of the jaws against the tabs that stick up from the pads. I open the jaws (with considerable force) pushing the 2 tabs apart and into the caliper. It is not the most elegant or easy way but I have used it on 4 different model of Porsches. If you think you've retracted the pistons and they are not fully retracted, it will take considerably more effort to remove the pads.

2. The backing plate on the pad may have "welded" itself to the piston (although this it seems less probabable that both inner and outer pads would do this). If it is stuck to the pistion, you can try grabbing the tab on the pad with a pair of vice grips or pliers and pulling, twisting, cussing, etc....whatever works to break that bond. If all else fails, you may be able to remove the caliper with the pad still in the caliper.

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express before. Good Luck!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:42 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to spread the pads from the rotor. The backs of the pads will push the pistons in. Removing the brake fluid reservoir cap may make this easier.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:57 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

The backing plate was pretty much welded onto the pads. I pried it off and then with brute force the pads came off on one side. I had to pretty much hammer the new pads on. In the heat of the moment I used my kitchen knife to get inbetween the welded plate and the pads and broke my wife's knife, DAMN!

Anyhow, one side is done, I'll remove the brake reservoir cap and see whether it will be easier for the next one.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:05 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

I also have a C4S and recently did my brake pads...

I used a channel lock (or really large pliers). Put the channel lock on the back side of the caliper between the pads, and open it up. It will take a bit of pressure, but that will compress the pistons and the pads will fall right out...

this is a bad PS, but it makes the point...

Old 05-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanjeevan
The backing plate was pretty much welded onto the pads. I pried it off and then with brute force the pads came off on one side. I had to pretty much hammer the new pads on. In the heat of the moment I used my kitchen knife to get inbetween the welded plate and the pads and broke my wife's knife, DAMN!

Anyhow, one side is done, I'll remove the brake reservoir cap and see whether it will be easier for the next one.

Thanks.
Post a picture -- there is no backing plate per se... the whole thing comes out, and the new pad slips in....
Old 05-31-2010, 04:08 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

M. you should take the backing plates out if this is for track use. They are there for anti-squeel street use. You can use a pair of adjustable pliers with a scrap of leather or a hand towel for the jaw against the actual caliper to get the pads moving. Clamp on the inside of the pad and the outside of the caliper and ease the pad/piston outward a little.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:21 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I don't operate on myself... I watched my guys change all four of the pads on my Cup Saturday night in like, 8 minutes. They had 4-5 different tools and 20 years of experience.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Got it done. Next time I will remove those anti-squeal plates.

Thanks for all the help. Next time should be much easier.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:35 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same goes for the big spring clip, but I always put it back on the 997 and the 993 is much different. You really only need the pin and the retainer clip per Chris Cervelli. That makes changes easier. I would also suggest cleaning the pin and rubbing some high temp grease on the surface to minimize corrosion wipe it completely off before you install it and it will come out easier next time. PS. buy extra retainer clips in case you lose one.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:01 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

First time I did this with my 996 C4S - I didn't realize that those stupid anti-squeal things were glued to the backing plates and couldn't get the pads out either. Had to use a putty knife to slide in there and cut them off the backing plates of the pads... None of my other (non-Porsche) cars had them and swapping brake pads was a very common maintenance item for track preparation, so it was quite a surprise when my pads would not come out... When putting the pads back in, just forget the anti-squeal thingys - they don't really work anyway and are just a big PITA.

Quick Reply: Urgent: Help with brake pad change. Unable to remove pads.