Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is Alonso on the backside of his career?
Yes, he will not get any better as a driver than he is now
39.51%
No, Alonso will only get better with Ferrari.
32.10%
Too early to tell.
13.58%
He will make more mistakes than in the past, but still win a WDC or 2
14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Is Alonso on the backside of his career?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:24 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,328 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Look again Ponch. Reading comprehension may not be your strongest suit. That's called sarcasm. "Dig Deeper" and you'll find the post where I broke down the contenders and came away with "Hamilton" as my 2010 WDC pick. If Alonso is the "one" it shouldn't be a problem regardless of whom I chose, right? I could have the field and Alonso would still win it all, right?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:28 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks, What anyone has not brought up is the fact that this year there is no testing outside of races.
This I belive has hurt more both Alonso(new car-ferrari,engine issue and chasis not improving quickly enough like many british teams...) and schumi(new car-oversteer, new team, younger hot teammate...) IMHO!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wasn't there a testing ban last season as well?
Old 06-07-2010, 02:59 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Schumacher factor !!!

Renault confident of passing Mercedes

By Pablo Elizalde Monday, June 7th 2010, 10:19 GMT

Renault's technical director James Allison is confident the French squad will overtake Mercedes GP soon if it can keep its development rate.

"We started the year a reasonable amount behind Mercedes and we've gradually been hunting them down," said Allison in a team preview ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix.

LOL..... Before MS input bada bing .. after .............

Ahhhh .... the great one ....
Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Renault confident of passing Mercedes

By Pablo Elizalde Monday, June 7th 2010, 10:19 GMT

Renault's technical director James Allison is confident the French squad will overtake Mercedes GP soon if it can keep its development rate.

"We started the year a reasonable amount behind Mercedes and we've gradually been hunting them down," said Allison in a team preview ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix.

LOL..... Before MS input bada bing .. after .............

Ahhhh .... the great one ....
Of course you could always look at it as now that Alonso is gone and they have a real development driver in Kubica.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:20 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Of course you could always look at it as now that Alonso is gone and they have a real development driver in Kubica.
So Kubica better than MS and FA ... Hmm, you might be on to something there Larry ..

Old 06-08-2010, 03:23 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn this thread moves fast…
Originally Posted by Pete
I fail to see how you reach the conclusion that MS hasn't brought Mercedes closer to the front of the grid. Is MB still 30 seconds behind the Red Bulls? The answer is yes. But, they have leap frogged Ferrari and are now the 3rd quickest on the grid after only their 5th or 6th race this year.

Canada will be their 8th race and I'm hoping for the gap to RB and McLaren to close up more, but make no mistake, the experience and technical feedback a driver of his caliber, coupled with Ross Brawn at the helm cannot be matched anywhere else on the grid.
Schumacher’s contribution thus far has been to explain that he ran out of setup ideas for the SWB car. The long wheelbase car, when it debuted, wasn’t initially any better, so they had to tweak the aerodynamics again. At this point the car hasn’t finished any better than the SWB car had in the hands of Rosberg. What I’m betting on is the fact that the switch will allow more overall potential but thus far it hasn’t been found. As of right now, though, Kubica has brough Renault closer to MB than MS has brought MB to Mclaren and Red Bull. That sorry excuse of a red car is truly frustrating and while your point about MB’s development being better than Ferrari’s has been valid, that’s like saying I gave that 600 lb fat guy a mile head start in a 2 mile race. I think we do agree though that the MS/Brawn combo is the best on the grid.
Originally Posted by A.Wayne
The team is further from the front with MS input than before.... MS is not Yet ahead of Rosberg, take a look at the avg and how much of his gain on Rosberg is from Brawn assistance (if Brawn had pitted Rosberg first in Turkey, he would have shot in front of schumacher) and even after such Both drivers finished nose to tail in turkey, there is no clear Schumacher advantage yet.....
Holy ish, fire from the Germans and the British. Schumacher bested Rosberg in Spain and Nico wasn’t helped out by a botched pit stop.

At Monaco, it was Nico’s fault of not being able to utilize a clear track when he stayed out. We’ve all seen Michael do it in previous years where during the stops right before or after a stop, he’s absolutely on the limit, like the flick of a switch. Nico’s luck wasn’t helped by Alonso going extremely well that race.

In Turkey Michael put in 2 fast laps before his pitstop and Nico’s times stayed the same, again utilizing strategy to his advantage. Michael is beginning to beat Nico and while I agree it might be premature to announce that he finally has the advantage, all I was saying is that he’s close the gap substantially, which is the case.

As for the MB’s speed, I know Ross said that last year’s car didn’t have the same overall potential as the Red Bull going from last year into this year. It’s actually surprising to me that they continue to develop it rather than focusing exclusively on next year. Maybe the points are too close or maybe some of the ideas from this year’s car will make it on to next year’s car. But let’s face it, Schumacher is getting better adjusting well and with Brawn in charge it won’t be too long before a MB car is competing for overall victories.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:27 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Wasn't there a testing ban last season as well?
No testing places an enormous strain on the driver because there’s only so much he can do except go flat out and communicate, as best as possible, what the car’s doing and look for patterns in its behavior in certain conditions. That would at least give the engineers an idea as to how to set the car up or what to focus on when they’re drawing up new pieces. Gone are the days where a driver can basically steal back time by simply pounding around a test track looking for solutions as often as possible.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:22 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,328 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I like to revive this thread everytime Alonso commits yet ANOTHER mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!! and costs he and more importantly his team needed points.

IF YOU CUT A CHICANE WITH ALL 4 WHEELS, WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU TOOK THE POSITION FAIRLY???????

All he had to do is lift right after that, it's seen all the time from karts to junior formulas. What makes Alonso think he is special and doesn't have to abide by the rules? The fact that Kubica's car failed shortly thereafter is irrelavant. Alonso should have given his the spot right back.

I've lost count how many major mistakes Alonso has made this year. The guy is seriously losing it mentally and as a racer isn't doing himself or his team any favors.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like to revive this thread everytime Alonso commits yet ANOTHER mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!! and costs he and more importantly his team needed points.

IF YOU CUT A CHICANE WITH ALL 4 WHEELS, WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU TOOK THE POSITION FAIRLY???????

All he had to do is lift right after that, it's seen all the time from karts to junior formulas. What makes Alonso think he is special and doesn't have to abide by the rules? The fact that Kubica's car failed shortly thereafter is irrelavant. Alonso should have given his the spot right back.

I've lost count how many major mistakes Alonso has made this year. The guy is seriously losing it mentally and as a racer isn't doing himself or his team any favors.

FA checked over radio with the team before attempting the pass and Ferrari cleared it. Sorry you don't have all the facts.

Plus, the FIA contradicts itself constantly. Purportedly they were saying they wanted to encourage drivers to pass to make the races more interesting.

After this incident, it's unlikely that anyone in their right mind will want to try passing in an already monotonous pole-position-to-the-finish pattern that repeats itself again and again.

Then again, you probably don't care about real racing and passing, do you? Oh, that's right, except when it's the Safety Car. Passing then is cool.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like it or not, the rules require a car to pass only if they are still on the circuit. They even apply to Fred.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Oh, that's right, except when it's the Safety Car (unless you are Lewis Hamilton in front of miss Alonso). Passing then is cool.
Fixed it. Go back and watch at around 1 hour and 11 mins on your DVR and tell me what you see? Hint, you'll see a car pass the safety car and not receive any penalty. Why not?? I guess the little girl from Ferrari didn't get on the radio and complain this time.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
like it or not, the rules require a car to pass only if they are still on the circuit. They even apply to Fred.
True, but they sure as heck don't apply equally to everyone else.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pound for pound FA is still the best driver on the track any given sunday. The Ferrari is not good this year, and neither he nor Massa can work a miracle with it.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:57 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Don't forget he ran into Massa on lap 1 and punctured his tire. That ended his teammate's hopes for a good finish as well.

Quick Reply: Is Alonso on the backside of his career?