Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is Alonso on the backside of his career?
Yes, he will not get any better as a driver than he is now
39.51%
No, Alonso will only get better with Ferrari.
32.10%
Too early to tell.
13.58%
He will make more mistakes than in the past, but still win a WDC or 2
14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Is Alonso on the backside of his career?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 03:03 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

^^^ Anyone seen ALonso cross the finish line yet? Like I said, No safety cars or rain this time. The Mighty Fernando Alonso in a Ferrari having trouble dispatching a Russian rookie in just his 7th race ever in a Renault.

Is there any bigger fraud than Alonso? Talk about a faux WDC!

He won his faux WDC in 2005 under the 1 tire rule per race of Michelin rubber where the Bridgestones couldn't match any pace and then the team tried to cheat with the mass damper hidden in the nose and only an engine failure in Suzuka by Ferrari gifted him his 2nd faux championship.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:07 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ LOL... that's pathetic , even by your standards Pete ...........
Old 05-31-2010, 03:33 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is it? Is it really? Because if my memory serves me right, Ferrari handed Alonso the F10 this year. A car he did not develop and he won the first race of the year with it.

Since that time, he has made one mistake after another and the development genius you profess him to be has shown the opposite to be true. Ferrari is going backwards on the grid, while the Red Bulls, McLarens, even Mercedes and Renaults are now faster than the Ferrari.

Perhaps it's too much pressure for the Faux One to handle being at a team that has major expectations of their drivers. There wasn't much expectations at Renault. But once he got to McLaren, he was "EXPECTED" to beat his rookie teammate Lewis Hamilton and fell short.

Be careful what you wish for. He (Alonso) wanted to be at Ferrari. this was his "dream job". He will soon find out what happens when you don't get results at the Scuderia and how vicious the Italian press can be when the expectations are higher than what your delivering.

We've seen Alonso melt under pressure. Should be fun watching him throw the team under the bus (yet again) and what that does for his career.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Ferrari's are getting worse (or staying the same while everyone else gets better) this season. When Red Bull get's their F-duct though, it's back to the drawing board for everyone.

Alonso is legit, I think everyone knows and has seen him drive the wheels off a car. IMO the speed of the Renaults this year are a direct result of his input from the last two years. I don't know what's up at Ferrari, they are trippin'. They still have the best driver lineup IMO, they just don't have the car.

Alonso would have a third WDC (by a good Margin too) if it weren't for Lewis stealing valuable points from him in his season with McLaren. He is as legit of a WDC as anyone on the grid (and yes that includes Schumi).
Old 05-31-2010, 09:37 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Really?

You didn't think completely writing off the car in the last practice session just before qualifying in, of all places, MONACO, wasn't a "Big Deal"?

You didn't think jumping the start in China and getting a drive through penalty was a "Big Deal"?
On the contrary, I definitely think his mistakes are big issues, but I'm not sure if they're big deal in the scope of career. In other words, I'm not so sure that they're indicators that this is the beginning of the end.

That said, I'm very surprised that the Ferrari hasn't gotten any quicker so that it at least keeps pace with the competition, which is improved from front to back. If the car doesn't improve, it's going to be very hard for Alonso to stay on everyone's good side by not complaining. If the car really is slow, what is he going to tell the press? Felipe and I suck? I am NOT defending him, but merely stating that through circumstances somewhat outside his control, he's in a position where it would be very easy to look bad. After all, this could be a situation like last year at Mclaren with Hamilton.

Engineer: Lewis, what's wrong with the car.
LH: It has no grip.

*next race*

Engineer: Lewis, what's wrong with the car.
LH: It has no grip.

I hope the men in red get it together soon, for the team and Alonso's sake. No Jean Todt or Rory Byrne is really not going so well.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:02 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Reports suggest that Fernando Alonso is becoming more and more disillusioned by Ferrari's failure to compete at the front of the field.

After a fast start to the season in which Alonso won the season-opening Bahrain GP, Ferrari have tailed off of late, with the team forced to settle for eight and ninth spot in Turkey, a race that was supposed to be a celebration of their 800th race in the sport.

Reports now suggest that Alonso is becoming highly frustrated with the teams' lack of progress.

"I'm told that Fernando Alonso is very frustrated by Ferrari's rate of development. Compared to his time at McLaren in 2007, when the British team had updates for every race, Ferrari's flow of new parts this season has been very slow, with no more than little tweaks here and there so far," explained BBC commentator Jonathan Legard.

"The result is that the car that started the season right on Red Bull's heels is now, in Alonso's words, 'the fifth quickest'.

"It seems Ferrari have a major upgrade for the European GP at the end of June - a copy of Red Bull's downforce-producing exhaust system, and a new diffuser. But the fear is that it will not leapfrog Ferrari back up the grid because their rivals will have at least kept pace. The team are also puzzled as to why the car is competitive on softer tyres but well off the pace on the harder compound," he added.

Legard's remarks have been solidified by Alonso's admission that even with their planned upgrades, the Italian team will not be at the front of the field.

"We know that McLaren and Red Bull are very far away and we don't know if that's enough. We have to work hard," said Alonso.

"We don't know how long it is going to take, but the truth is that we are almost eight tenths from Red Bull and 6 or 7 tenths from McLaren, and these developments [for Valencia] are not going to give us that much."

Having earlier in the week said that Ferrari could not cope with the developments of the 'bigger teams', team boss Stefano Domenicali remains confident that there is still time for Ferrari to mount a title challenge.

"We are not going to stop developing this car - we are not throwing away these races so far," he said.

"We will continue working on the F10 until the end of the season. The championship is still open and we have seen that anything can happen in the races. We will not give up," he added.
http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6...strations-grow

Old 06-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You know, there is a old adage about being careful what you wish for, because you just might get it........

Alonso would probably be in better shape if he had stayed in the Renault (at least at this point).
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:03 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

RE: Ferrari's flow of new parts this season

I read an article in Motorsport magazine with a few of the Mclaren guys in it...very interesting to say the least. For some reason, they are one of the only teams that will throw everything they have at the car each race rather than doing these big "package" updates. Alonso even had admitted that Mclaren are probably the best teams in terms of getting a car dialed in to a particular driver's needs.

RE: Ferrari have a major upgrade...copy of Red Bull's downforce-producing exhaust system...puzzled as to why the car is competitive on softer tyres but well off the pace on the harder compound

The Red Bull exhaust is a really interesting, taking the hot exhaust gases and running them right above the diffuser to eliminate turbulence and thus increasing downforce. I doubt it's the feature making the biggest difference between the RB6 and the rest of the field, but it certainly can't hurt. And how is their performance on the hard compounds surprising? At the start of the season when making the tires last was the big issue, all that we heard was that the Ferrari was easier on its tires, as per Alonso's references to Ferrari's race pace vs the single lap speed of the RBs.

RE: We are not going to stop developing this car - we are not throwing away these races so far

Right, because you've proven that even by throwing everything you had at this year's car, this is as good as it's going to get with the current personal in place.

RE: We will continue working on the F10 until the end of the season. The championship is still open and we have seen that anything can happen in the races. We will not give up," he added

Very inspiring, but probably not the greatest move. This is a RB/Mclaren race. The fact that Alonso is even in this championship race is somewhat surprising. To be honest, I'm skeptical that even Mclaren have the RB's pace at every track until I seem a couple more races.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
IMO the speed of the Renaults this year are a direct result of his input from the last two years.
Or perhaps the team is just simply better now that she is gone.
Chemistry, environment, morale, strategy, lawyers, FIA investigations, team principal/managers/engineers banned for "strategy", etc....

How much of this year's Renault is a result of how many hours of testing performed by Alonso under an FIA testing ban?
Old 06-01-2010, 07:06 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Chemistry, environment, morale, strategy, lawyers, FIA investigations, team principal/managers/engineers banned for "strategy", etc....

How much of this year's Renault is a result of how many hours of testing performed by Alonso under an FIA testing ban?
A point Lewis ?

Well Brawn did win both WC last year ... this Year .......... ahhh...
Old 06-01-2010, 08:31 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc

Exactly. The Renault of 2 years ago is not the same spec. Things change so fast in F1 it's literally race by race and the fact that Kubica is the lead driver at Renault and not Alonso I imagine has something to do with it.

In that article that Ilko posted, Alonso said that in 2007 McLaren was developing on a week by week basis. Sure, if you have the stolen Ferrari dossier as McLaren did with Alonso and De La Rosa testing each and every part they stole, you put on new bits and pieces each race weekend, not the entire car where someone would definitely raise an eyebrow.... before they were caught mind you.

Alonso spent 2 years at Renault after his 2007 failure at McLaren. Neither he nor the car got any better. They manufactered a race win by staging a crash that they ordered. Forget about the FIA ban, how there were no criminal charges pressed against Reanult, Flava Flav and Alonso himself is unknown.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:08 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by ltc

Alonso took Renault to WDC twice, and then took them from a miserable team two years ago to pretty competitive by the end of the year. Had he started with a car as good as the one they built this year, he'd be in good shape.

Don't let A Wayne's obsession with Alonso dilute the facts. The guy is still one of the best drivers on the grid, and has been for several years.

And he's still also 4th in the drivers championship despite getting in his own way. And this is one of the most talented grids ever. And his car is decreasingly potent.

Every car that he's been in has gotten better while he was in it. I'll take all of the full years of him driving over this slight slump by a team that's not keeping up with the updates any time.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:23 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

No doubt somebody is on his backside
Old 06-01-2010, 11:32 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Keep dreaming Bitches....................

Pete you are one delusional pup ! This must be your operation Stoolmacher smoke and deflect, if you are so confident , put up or shut up! I'm sure Mommy would up your allowance for that bottle of patron you so desperately need to do so.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:40 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I already have a bet with you remember? I picked LH for WDC in 2010, you Fernanda. I'm liking my chances better right now that yours

Quick Reply: Is Alonso on the backside of his career?