jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome driving
Old 05-04-2010, 03:41 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Was that a sewing machine with wheels???

That was incredible. what a track!!

That didnt sound like the Rx8s from grand am, did it? Im used to that high pitched screaming whine!!
Old 05-04-2010, 04:29 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

He is clearly going very quickly but if you look at him, it's easy. Car is obviously well sorted. He is just cruising from what I could see. Talented of course but not fighting the car in any way.
Thanks for posting.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Great driving. But dont try this line/technique in a 911 in the esses or hogpen unless you have an RSR. You will wind up in the weeds (or the condos!)

This is a GT car? ??
Old 05-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Great driving. But dont try this line/technique in a 911 in the esses or hogpen unless you have an RSR. You will wind up in the weeds (or the condos!)

This is a GT car? ??

Agreed.

Yes, Rolex GT car. New track record...

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer

This is a GT car? ??
I don't agree about his line through the esses. I do agree you need a well set up car but it does not have to be a RSR

I think his turn in point and trying to make the bottom of the esses as straight as possible is just about perfect.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

I usually take the conventional approach and brake more at 16 so I am feeding in the throttle from turn in, down through 17 and 17a. Logic would indicate that this approach of being on the gas in a portion where Taylor hit the brakes would be faster. He is trading more speed through 16 for some braking and car rotation in 17 (as VR said). One would figure that his way is faster, otherwise he wouldn't do it. Would love to see a data comparison between the two approaches in a 911. I get the feeling that my motor would want to head for the river since it would be heavier braking, down hill relying on a stock Carrera tail to reduce the lift at the back end.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
I don't agree about his line through the esses. I do agree you need a well set up car but it does not have to be a RSR

I think his turn in point and trying to make the bottom of the esses as straight as possible is just about perfect.

To clarify... if you try to go into the esses with this much throttle in a 911 (with ANY line) I think you will be in the condos!

I'm not the fastest by any means ..... but I can tell you that in a 996 or 997 cup car you cant attack the hill like that. Maybe you can, send the video when you do it so we can all learn!

An RSR has more aero and grip and would be able to match the line and throttle input, maybe even get on power earlier on the final approach to south bend.

One thing is for sure, this kid can deliver the mail!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never got a chance to take my RSA up the esses (long story) but it was so good at transitions that I think it could have done it the same way.

I know that in my GT3 I would lift some right before esse #1, then then again before #3.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I would say that in this particular segment of the track, with this car (lots of wing & splitter), carrying more speed in 16 uses the car at its advantage, connecting the dots & making it almost a straightaway there. Using more brakes would do little except slow him down. He uses light brakes + a downshift to settle the car, help the front bite, and get the car in the right gear loaded on the rear tires for the launch out. At 17, with the elevation change (compression), he can use the brakes to pivot the car so in the 2nd half as he approaches 17a, he is pointed more in the proper direction with less steering input. Watch his hands there--he doesn't use as much as you would think to rotate the car thru that essentially double apex, and he unwinds a bit in the middle.
I won't disagree with what you are saying about different ways to approach T16 and T17 but I do want to add to it a little bit. In the first statement Dave made the comment of Jordan uses a late brake out of T16 for T17. This is correct that it is a late brake from what the traditional or DE line would be. But it is not a late brake like a lot of us think a late brake it is. By initial thoughts a late brake would be to wait until the last second and give a good stab of the brake pedal to slow the car down. This does not work in HogPen. What works in a well balanced car, even a Porsche, is use the section of the track from T15 to T16 as a straight. Be full throttle or as close to it as you can. Before the turn in for T16 breathe off the throttle and lightly scrub the brakes from T16 to entry to T17. Try to make this as straight of a line between the turn in for T16 and turn in for T17 as possible. Before you turn in for T17 have all your light braking done, the car slowed enough so when you turn in for T17 you are almost ready to go to power and get to throttle as soon as you can in T17. Use the track coming out and keep your eyes up as far as you can to see how T17 connects to the front straight. You will see that you don't need as much steering as you first think as Dave pointed out.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:51 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
I won't disagree with what you are saying about different ways to approach T16 and T17 but I do want to add to it a little bit. In the first statement Dave made the comment of Jordan uses a late brake out of T16 for T17. This is correct that it is a late brake from what the traditional or DE line would be. But it is not a late brake like a lot of us think a late brake it is. By initial thoughts a late brake would be to wait until the last second and give a good stab of the brake pedal to slow the car down. This does not work in HogPen. What works in a well balanced car, even a Porsche, is use the section of the track from T15 to T16 as a straight. Be full throttle or as close to it as you can. Before the turn in for T16 breathe off the throttle and lightly scrub the brakes from T16 to entry to T17. Try to make this as straight of a line between the turn in for T16 and turn in for T17 as possible. Before you turn in for T17 have all your light braking done, the car slowed enough so when you turn in for T17 you are almost ready to go to power and get to throttle as soon as you can in T17. Use the track coming out and keep your eyes up as far as you can to see how T17 connects to the front straight. You will see that you don't need as much steering as you first think as Dave pointed out.
100% correct. One very important part of what Seth is saying is to keep your eyes up and looking down the track, ie where you want the car to go.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:19 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

Jordan is really hauling butt this year in the Mazda.. he is tough to beat!.. and Racers edge have really done a good job setting up the car and evolving it...
Old 05-04-2010, 12:26 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to meet Jordan right before the race..This kid is the real deal. His co-driver that weekend was pretty good as well...
Old 05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy crap that was a fast lap. Damn. Kudos to the engineers on that car. It was very obviously set up perfectly. wow.

C.

Quick Reply: THIS is how to drive VIR !!!