Harness mounting questions (sorry) 6-point/sub-belt question with pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
The GT3 sub strap bar mounted properly under the seat bracket does pass tech.

That's good to hear
Old 04-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
My point is that the two belts would be better than one belt (5 point) if the two belts were separated, which is not the case when the belts are forced through a single hole, thus making them two belts right next to each other, and directly in front of my manhood.
the 6 point subs separate enough to be more user friendly than the 5s , if you catch my meaning...

the Schroth hybrids go a step further and remove the hardware from the vicinity of your jewels,
Old 04-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Originally Posted by Van

The GT3 sub strap bar mounted properly under the seat bracket does pass tech.

That's good to hearThat's good to hear
Well, let me clarify this statement... In my 944, I have a 5 point belt with the sub strap going through the floor - that's the car I race. I have a 996 that I occasionally DE with a Schroth 6 point belt with GT3 seats and the GT3 under-the-seat-bracket-bar.

I have been working with a friend who's getting his non-GT3 996 ready for club racing - and the decision was made that if he used all GT3 seat hardware (and a GT3 seat), the under-the-seat-bracket-bar would be acceptable.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
Well, let me clarify this statement... In my 944, I have a 5 point belt with the sub strap going through the floor - that's the car I race. I have a 996 that I occasionally DE with a Schroth 6 point belt with GT3 seats and the GT3 under-the-seat-bracket-bar.

I have been working with a friend who's getting his non-GT3 996 ready for club racing - and the decision was made that if he used all GT3 seat hardware (and a GT3 seat), the under-the-seat-bracket-bar would be acceptable.

that's more like it, and it agrees with what I had previously thought
Old 04-29-2010, 07:37 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
again not behind the seat for the sub belt mounts, under the hole or slightly back from under the hole.

Read the Schroth Instructions
ok, thank you! Sorry, just going off pictures ive seen from searching around. Ill print and review the Schroth instructions.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
I wrote the original post wrong and mixed the inner/outer...corrected.

I am using the original outer seatbelt mounting point and placing an eye bolt. I am drilling the tunnel (inner) side and using a reinforcement plate.

I am planning on bolting 2 eyebolts behind each seat with reinforcement plates for the sub-belts.

Sorry if that was confusing to read.
Be careful were you place the backing plate on the tunnel. The metal is very thin towards the rear of the tunnel so you will need a large plate. There is a solid piece of steel that wraps around the inside of the tunnel just past were the center console stops. For the subs, there are several large holes in the floor pan (under the seats) with caps in them that you don't want to get close to. The only way I found to get good support was to place a bar across the pan and attach/weld the ends of the bars. Then, put the eye hooks through the bars.

If you look at some of the high speed videos of seat belt tests, the first action of the dummy is to sub down in the seat as they start forward into the belts. So don't underestimate the amount of force that the sub belt will see.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:20 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Good to know Brian, thank you.

I was planning on drilling where the early 944's had the seatbelt originally. Im guessing that is within the steel surround you mention?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Good to know Brian, thank you.

I was planning on drilling where the early 944's had the seatbelt originally. Im guessing that is within the steel surround you mention?
That is the place. The metal in the tunnel rear of that piece is paper thin.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:45 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam, it looks like you bought 2 inch HANS belts. Do you intent to only run the belts whilst using a HANS device?

Last edited by DanR; 04-29-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:11 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Hi Dan - Yup, passenger side is standard 3".
Old 04-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Schroth Hybrids...they wrap up the inside of your legs and attach to the side of the camlock. Plenty of room.

Regardless, the T-bar on a normal 6-point should spread the belts far enough apart in your manhood region to make things far more comfortable and less dangerous in a crash. If you're using a 6-point setup without a T-bar, then yeah, you're not gaining anything.
They must have sold me the women's version of the lower buckle on the G-Force harness. Not much of the spreadage.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:24 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bump.. Sam, do you have any pics of your final mounting locations?

Quick Reply: Harness mounting questions (sorry) 6-point/sub-belt question with pics