Sponsored by:

Harness mounting questions (sorry) 6-point/sub-belt question with pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:15 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Harness mounting questions (sorry) 6-point/sub-belt question with pics

Sorry, I know there have been a ton of threads and I searched and read through lots of them.

I have a Sparco Corsa and Sparco Evo going in the 951 with a redline rollbar, schroth 6 point harnesses...

Seats have the typical 5-point sub belt hole up front. From my readings it looks like the sub-belts will pass through the side holes on the seat correct?

Below the lap belts or above?

I took some pics for illustration purposes. No holes have been drilled yet for any mounting points.

Going to use an eyebolt for the outer (stock seatbelt hole - need to rotate it up). For the inner lap belts (drill tunnel / mount eyebolt/reinforcement plate) to retain use of stock belts for street use.

Sub-belts - plan is to drill two holes behind the seats for the eyebolts using reinforcement plates. I know its not ideal but dont know what else to do really...Ive seen some pictures where the belts come up from underneath the seat? Looking at my seat that doesnt make any sense.

Mine would come from behind the seat and go in each side - ok or no?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by SamGrant951; 04-29-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951

Seats have the typical 5-point sub belt hole up front. From my readings it looks like the sub-belts will pass through the side holes on the seat correct?
NO!

Going to use an eyebolt for the inner (stock seatbelt hole - need to rotate it up) / outer lap belts (tunnel) to retain use of stock belts for street use.

???

typically, a pad eye(eye bolt) is drilled into the tunnel and a separate mount attached to the seat is used for the stock tunnel side seat belt receptacle

Mine would come from behind the seat and go in each side - ok or no?

again no!

the sub belt mounts are attached into the floor under the seats, directly under or slightly in back of the bottom seat hole.

have you read Schroth's instructions for mounting the harness hard points?

an alternate to drilling is to use a GT3 sub bar under the seat hole as shown here, check you sanctioning body regs to see if this is acceptable, note that the bar is directly under the seat hole

this shows the subs wrapped around the GT3 sub bar

here you can see the typical installation of pad eyes directly under(slightly back) the seat hole

The lap belts go through the side holes, on the door side get a pad eye that bolts to the stock door side seatbelt mount on the tunnel side drill into the tunnel.

the stock door side seatbelt mount coexists w/ the door side lap mount, here is a typical RS tunnel side mount for the stock 3 point belt

here you can see a tunnel side RS mount that goes through the same hole as the lap harness, when the harness is used this pushed out if the way

here's where the RS pad eyes go in 964/993

here are the subs coming up through the seat and you can see the door side pad eye, the door side lap would go from there yhrough the side hole and connect to the control
Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sub belts (both) go through the hole in the bottom/middle of the bottom of the seat and anchor to the floor (options above). Which of course begs the question -- wtf good are two sub belts when they pass through the same hole? I cannot answer that question.

But Google "harness degloving *******" ...
Old 04-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on everything Bill said. Sub belts need to be attached to the floor pan (which should be reinforced with 1/4" steel plate under the floor pan), right size lap belt needs to attach to the tunnel (again reinforced with 1/4" steel plate), left side lap belt can attach to the same point as the stock belts using an eye bolt in place of the stock bolt.

Mine is setup exactly like this, and retains usage of the factory seatbelts as well.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Which of course begs the question -- wtf good are two sub belts when they pass through the same hole? I cannot answer that question.
Basically - they're more comfortable. It adds nothing for strength.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

wtf good are two sub belts when they pass through the same hole? I cannot answer that question.
You're a man...right?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Sam, I've never seen anything like your pictures...

My setup is like Bill's picture with the bar under the seat bracket.

(And I am not going to google degloving a *******...)
Old 04-29-2010, 05:32 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

I wrote the original post wrong and mixed the inner/outer...corrected.

I am using the original outer seatbelt mounting point and placing an eye bolt. I am drilling the tunnel (inner) side and using a reinforcement plate.

I am planning on bolting 2 eyebolts behind each seat with reinforcement plates for the sub-belts.

Sorry if that was confusing to read.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
You're a man...right?
My point is that the two belts would be better than one belt (5 point) if the two belts were separated, which is not the case when the belts are forced through a single hole, thus making them two belts right next to each other, and directly in front of my manhood.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:41 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Here, this correct? I swear I read something about sub-belts like mine coming through the sides as the one single hole in the seat was not designed for the 6-point...

Again this is all new to me so Im just trying to get it right the first time

Old 04-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

My point is that the two belts would be better than one belt (5 point) if the two belts were separated, which is not the case when the belts are forced through a single hole, thus making them two belts right next to each other, and directly in front of my manhood.
Schroth Hybrids...they wrap up the inside of your legs and attach to the side of the camlock. Plenty of room.

Regardless, the T-bar on a normal 6-point should spread the belts far enough apart in your manhood region to make things far more comfortable and less dangerous in a crash. If you're using a 6-point setup without a T-bar, then yeah, you're not gaining anything.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Originally Posted by Van
My setup is like Bill's picture with the bar under the seat bracket.
Interesting...so wrapped around a bar passes PCA tech for racing? I thought all belts had to be bolted to the chassis?

Thanks Van!
Old 04-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

The GT3 sub strap bar mounted properly under the seat bracket does pass tech.

On my seat, the "slit" between cushions goes the other way - so the two substraps don't get pinched together like in your picture.

You made a comment about putting eyebolts for the substraps behind the seat... I don't think you want that - rather you want them below the seat. When you're belted in, you want them as short and as straight to the mounting point as possible. Otherwise, in the event of seat flex or failure, they won't hold you in place.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interesting...so wrapped around a bar passes PCA tech for racing? I thought all belts had to be bolted to the chassis?

Thanks Van!
No, afaik PCA stills mandates through the floor eye mounts for racing, except for maybe the the factory cars that came w/ the bar which is only the street GT3s, all the Cups I've seen come through w/ bolts through the floor.

As I said you need to check w/ the sanctioning body for the GT3 bar acceptance
Old 04-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wrote the original post wrong and mixed the inner/outer...corrected.

I am using the original outer seatbelt mounting point and placing an eye bolt. I am drilling the tunnel (inner) side and using a reinforcement plate.

I am planning on bolting 2 eyebolts behind each seat with reinforcement plates for the sub-belts.

Sorry if that was confusing to read.
again not behind the seat for the sub belt mounts, under the hole or slightly back from under the hole.

Read the Schroth Instructions

Quick Reply: Harness mounting questions (sorry) 6-point/sub-belt question with pics