Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderhill T14 crash

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:20 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

There is almost too much effort is spent making the tubs of our production based unibody cars stronger with endless feet of DOM tubing. you defeat a lot of the energy absorbtion by getting to many bars and stitch welding every seam. that Blain Camaro did a great job of giving a little while still protecting the foot well area. mine in my crash, didnt have bars everywhere, but the tub allowed for major distortion on the impact side, yet protected the foot well area, at the cost of the tub. (928s have a very strong tub design) when you hit walls at 80mph plus, there is no saving the car, its going to be a write off (at least the chassis and a couple of wheels) but, if the chassis is strong enough, best to let it do its job, rather than over building it. for example, from the look of the Camaro crash, I would build it like it was again, without stitch welding the seams as the builder wants to do next time. The more the chassi crumples and crushes around you, the better off you will be in the impact. thats why I like racing a larger car, because there is just more "stuff" around you to get crushed and slow down the impact speeds.

If you want some really nice stuff built and you are in the area, come see Impact Engineering in Milpitas. (they done a lot of BMWCCA, with Grand Am and WCGT cars.)

Originally Posted by Rick
I agree...anyone have info (or contacts) of who built the cage? I'd like to learn more about the physics of the supports in the foot area as well as the tie-in of the cage tubing to the A-pillar.

This really makes me re-think my own cage...even though my car is much slower (and I'm even slower than my car!), I'm always interested in what I can do to make things safer.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Ranger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing back an old thread because it got linked to at BimmerForums. Am a member here from the old Porsche days.

The pic with the severed brake line has a reference to discussion on hold until the mfr could do a failure analysis. Did anything ever come of that?

I miss the Porsches but BMW's are more affordable to race.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Bringing back an old thread because it got linked to at BimmerForums. Am a member here from the old Porsche days.

The pic with the severed brake line has a reference to discussion on hold until the mfr could do a failure analysis. Did anything ever come of that?

I miss the Porsches but BMW's are more affordable to race.
Alan at http://www.blainefabrication.com/ would be the man to contact about that.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Iridium
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 39 Posts

This isn't actually true: "The worst possible crash is a head-on collision. In a head-on collision, the force of the two vehicles is multiplied. Two vehicles traveling at 40 mph in a head-on collision is the same as striking a concrete wall at 80 mph. Whatever it takes, avoid a head-on collision."

A head on between two vehicles of equal mass, both travelling the same speed, is the same as hitting a concrete wall. Both cars doing 40mph and running into one another isn't the same as one car hitting a wall at 80. You have double the mass to absorb the energy.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:53 AM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How dare someone post a crash video on RL, someones feelings could be hurt....
Old 04-12-2011, 07:48 AM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! That was a hard hit. He is very lucky to walk away.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:01 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HUGE hit, and took big air. Very sobering, indeed.

As for Dale, rest in peace, but he came out of his belts and broke the steering wheel off with his unprotected face. Basal skull fracture it was labeled, but I don't buy it. Images were witheld, I suspect because it was especially gruesome. All agree it wasn't an especially hard hit. He's the only thing in NASCAR that I cared about.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

dup

Last edited by mark kibort; 09-23-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Thunderhill T14 crash