Sponsored by:

Racing heart rate

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:20 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
I do road cycling not to stay in condition for racing, but so that I can eat without worrying about my weight so much. I think that cyclists have chimed into this thread because most of us use heart rate monitors. They are useful to gauge how hard you are working and if you are working too hard and need to back off for a while. As has been noted, heart rate in racing conditions really isn't all that related to heart rate from physical activity. It is just interesting to those of us who pay attention to heart rate for other purposes.

I agree that stationery bikes are far too boring. Road bikes are less boring if you get in with a good group. My typical weekend ride is 50 miles, more or less. My defintion of a good group is one that is both safe and keeps out of the way of cars. I have the same complaint that everyone else does with groups which do not give way to cars.
Thanks. I am on one of those wierd people that think riding on the road with cars is simply too dangerous. Yes, more dangerous than racing. The physics and odds are simply not on the cyclists side. Therefore I would need some sort of outdoor ring to ride on.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:50 PM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BC
Thanks. I am on one of those wierd people that think riding on the road with cars is simply too dangerous. Yes, more dangerous than racing. The physics and odds are simply not on the cyclists side. Therefore I would need some sort of outdoor ring to ride on.
Then this is the sport for you (aerobic/anerobic and requires skills similar to driving fast)>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvloWr_e2As
Old 06-11-2010, 04:39 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
Were you wearing a HR monitor when your rear tire exploded at the Glen?
No, but I bet it would be one of the highest I've ever recorded. I think the proper measurement of that ride would have been actual velocity of the contents of my lower intestine..
Old 06-11-2010, 05:57 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlJimK
Then this is the sport for you (aerobic/anerobic and requires skills similar to driving fast)>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvloWr_e2As

I LIKE! Music Sucks though.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:31 PM
AtlJimK
Pro

Originally Posted by BC
I LIKE! Music Sucks though.
Agreed, music bites but YT cut my track out
Old 06-11-2010, 07:17 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
No, but I bet it would be one of the highest I've ever recorded. I think the proper measurement of that ride would have been actual velocity of the contents of my lower intestine..
LOL. Did you wear a HR monitor when you got the repair bill?
Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting article on Autosport from a guy who took part in the "Be-a-race-car-driver-for-48hrs", here's the section on HR... very interesting:

Having a heart for racing

Anyone who follows motor racing, knows that drivers are a fit bunch. We read their countless tweets about 40-kilometre bike rides, triathlon efforts and gym sessions – and then dream ourselves that we are not too far away from being able to match them.

But being fit in racing driver terms is a world away from what you and I would consider fit. For, make no mistake, F1 is the most physically demanding sport in the world when it comes to punishing the heart.

Italian sports clinic Formula Medicine has turned the subject of racing driver fitness into an art form – and its staff are under no illusions about how tough F1 is on the heart.

Fabrizio Maganzi, one of Formula Medicine's personal trainers, says: "A lot of people ask the question of whether motorsport is a real sport. Normally when people see a sport like cycling or soccer or athletics they can see for themselves that there is a big effort – as you see them sweating. In motorsport it is difficult because you see just a helmet and a car – and you cannot understand the effort of an F1 driver.

"But we know it is real sport. The heart rate monitors shows that for one hour and a half hours drivers stay at 184 beats per minute average, with a peak of 201. And in GP2, it is one hour the average is 196 – with a peak of 207. It is a bit more in GP2 because the cars are similar, there is more wheel-to-wheel fighting, the racing is shorter – and there no power steering so the car is heavier. In no other sport do you experience this level of heart rate for so long."

Formula Medicine began monitoring heart rate performance in F1 as long ago as 1989, when it wired up Ivan Capelli in a Leyton House.

Since then, it has recorded more than 30 drivers in more than 100 races, using both standard heart-rate monitors and modern electro-cardiogram systems that give second-by-second analysis.

It was the use of the latter more sophisticated technology that unearthed an amazing physical phenomena that drivers experienced at the Magny-Cours circuit.

"We discovered that in one second, the drivers' heart rate would go from 160 beats per minute to just 54 – it was like a collapse," says Maganzi. "At the Adelaide Hairpin, the drivers would arrive very, very fast – with heavy braking, and then hard acceleration again for another straight.

"When the drivers got back on the power, the heart rate dropped dramatically – sometimes 54, sometimes 60, sometimes 70. It was a big drop. It shows you have to be ready and prepared to drive an F1 car – you cannot just jump in and drive like that. Normal people would not be able to do it."

Quick Reply: Racing heart rate