Sponsored by:

Home Car Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010 | 10:15 PM
Will72
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Home Car Lifts

There are a lot of car lifts out there now. I searched the forums and the last post I found was in 2008 so thought I would ask given the 2 year lapse.

I have a regular two car two door garage. My ceilings are 10' so I don't think I will have an issue. My main reason I want the lift is for storage...I have 3 cars and a two car garage...I wouldn't mind being abot to change wheels but that is not my primary reason for the lift.

From my short research, it seems a 2 post lift is the most popular. However a 2 post lift may make it difficult to exit the 2nd car (underneath) when pulling in the garage. So, my dilemma is two fold...
1. 2 or 4 post lift
2. Which lift to buy (US made only) for my situation.

Anyone in the MD/DC/VA area have any experience with a local installer?

Thanks!

Will
Old 04-24-2010 | 10:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would suggest considering a single post lift.
Very low floor loading, takes up minimal space, excellent storage lift solution IMHO.

http://www.bowlinent.com/lifts/duplex_lift.php
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...&ci_sku=177808
http://www.asedeals.com/single_post_storage_lifts.html
http://www.interstatelift.com/inters...m_one_sing.htm
Old 04-24-2010 | 10:41 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Get a 4 post and use a jack to change the wheels.

Marc
Old 04-24-2010 | 11:06 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 4 post, originally just for storage, but bought the bridge jack. If I move its going with me. Even for the little things, I just put the Carrera script on the car today, having it 3~4ft off the ground made things so much easier.
Old 04-24-2010 | 11:14 PM
Will72
Intermediate

Wow...I never considered a 1 post lift. That add a whole new dimension to my process....could I get a 1 post lift and still be able to change wheels? Most of the 1 post lifts in the links you have to drive on...

The 4 post lift seems to be space consuming.

Very interesting.

Any other thoughts?
Old 04-25-2010 | 07:22 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A 4 post lift is the best solution for primarily storing cars and occassionally working on them. We've installed several for clients we've built homes for.

A one post lift requires the concrete slab to be in very good condition...i.e. do you absolutely know the construction of your garage slab???
Old 04-25-2010 | 08:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by smlporsche
A one post lift requires the concrete slab to be in very good condition...i.e. do you absolutely know the construction of your garage slab???
I believe that is incorrect.

A one post lift has the lowest floor loading of either a 4 post or 2 post lift; simply based on the area of the mounting 'foot'.
In fact, they can be installed outdoors on asphalt, as is often done in Europe.
Old 04-25-2010 | 08:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Will72
Wow...I never considered a 1 post lift. That add a whole new dimension to my process....could I get a 1 post lift and still be able to change wheels? Most of the 1 post lifts in the links you have to drive on...
No, they are designed for parking and storage with minimal additional area required.
The full 'floor' is also nice since it will prevent the car on top from dripping (oil, fluids, etc) onto the car below.

They can be assembled and installed by 2 men in about 4 hours or so.
Old 04-26-2010 | 04:55 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 231 Posts

I have a one post lift from Bend Pak. You cannot change the wheels with it but there are removable center panels that would allow you to do other work on the car. It's perfect for my needs as I just wanted to be able to store the car in the garage using minimal space. I use the jack when doing brake work/changing wheels etc.

I dunno about the four hours....mine took three guys a full day and they weren't screwing around. The post alone weighs 1,200 pounds.
Old 04-27-2010 | 09:57 AM
MJHanna
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess if cost is not a factor a one post lift would be OK. But for that money you can buy two four post lifts.

Last edited by MJHanna; 11-11-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2010 | 03:22 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 231 Posts

Dang three Porsches! And my wife says we have too many!!
Old 05-01-2010 | 09:36 PM
Will72
Intermediate

Well, I have a traditional 2 car garage where if you have 2 cars in it, you are lucky to get anything else in it. Cost is always a factor (no lotto winner here). I would like to know if anyone in the DC metro area can recommend a shop that can come and look at my garage and make a recommendation based on my space limitations.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2010 | 12:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I have a 2 car garage with a single post lift. There is zero additional floor space required, it is simply a matter of ceiling height. In my case, there was a carrying beam running across the span, so the lift is positioned so that when the car is lifted up, the beam ends up in front of the windshield by the hood, allowing the entire vertical height to be used.

You should be able to determine for yourself based on the available ceiling height, the height of the cars and the drawings for the lift.
Old 05-02-2010 | 02:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,894 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I have a 2 car garage with a single post lift. There is zero additional floor space required, it is simply a matter of ceiling height. In my case, there was a carrying beam running across the span, so the lift is positioned so that when the car is lifted up, the beam ends up in front of the windshield by the hood, allowing the entire vertical height to be used.

You should be able to determine for yourself based on the available ceiling height, the height of the cars and the drawings for the lift.
pic pls
Old 05-02-2010 | 03:44 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

That seems to describe either having the car go in backwards or working with the garage door down.

ps. How many more car hoist / lift threads do we need?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ght=hoist+lift

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...ght=hoist+lift

Quick Reply: Home Car Lifts