Sponsored by:

DE/Street Tire Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:34 PM
redcarman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DE/Street Tire Advice Needed

I need to buy some tires for a 951 that I am purchasing in a few weeks. The car has 16x7 front and 16x8 D90 wheels. I have done an introductory DE course with PCA and plan to start DE this spring. I am looking for a tire I can drive to the track and use in both dry and wet conditions. The car will be used proably 25% for DE and 75% for weekend drives. Being a newbie to DE, I still need to learn the basics so I am not looking for an R-compound tire at this point in time.

I have done some initial research and found that there are about a half dozen highly rated tires to choose from if I go 205/50-16 front and 225/50-16 rear but only one tire (Fuzion ZRi) if I want 245/45-16 on the rear. The Fuzions are not the highest rated tire in the $90-120 per tire price point.

So my question is this - am I better off going with a higher rated tire (Bridgstone 760 Sport, BFG G-Force KDW, Yokohama S-drive, Kumho Esta) in a narrower 225/50-16 tire size or the wider 245/45-16 Fuzions? Any advice from anyone that has experience with these tires and the 16" tire size issue would be greatly appeciated.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Go with the best rated/best quality tires. Ask again when you
know you're consistently good at what you're doing and know
how/if you want to change the behavior of your car and tires.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:55 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

two sets of wheels and tires is the way to go. Street tires for one and track tires for the other. However if you do not want to spend the money do not waste it on a cheap set of tires. Save your money and buy a set of Michelin, Yokohama or Bridgestone ultra high performance summer tires. Sidewall strength is paramount in your DE situation.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

See if Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec's come in the sizes you need, excellent tire.

http://www.dunloptires.com/catalog/d...1StarSpec.html
Old 04-10-2010, 03:16 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What Gary said - The Dunlops have been probably the best dual use tire for a very long time (including the version right before the Star Spec). Another great value is the Nitto NT05, though I don't know if it comes in your sizes. Sumitomo HTRZ III is another.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:29 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Please call me, lets see what we have.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 PM
James-man
Race Car

I've used 16" Fuzions at the track. They were OK. For me, the first few DE events were about learning the track, safety, habits, and car control. As you progress, you will go through tires quickly enough to enjoy trying many out.

What I am saying here is that it is not absolutely critical what you choose at this point. Z-rated yes, but you will quickly move onto another set of tires that deserves more thought and attention. Don't sweat this particular tire decision.

Does your 951 have ABS?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:15 AM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redcarman

So my question is this - am I better off going with a higher rated tire (Bridgstone 760 Sport, BFG G-Force KDW, Yokohama S-drive, Kumho Esta) in a narrower 225/50-16 tire size or the wider 245/45-16 Fuzions? Any advice from anyone that has experience with these tires and the 16" tire size issue would be greatly appeciated.
I bought a bone stock 951 several years ago to start doing DE and drive on the street every now and then. The first year of DE I just used the Kumhos that were bolted on the car when I bought it. They worked fine for initial learning. Second year I got a set of Fuzions. They worked even better for me. Third year I moved on to R-comps. And with respect to size....with the 7/8 rim set up you have I would go with the 225/50 (front) 245/45 (rear) combination.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:12 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kumho XS, Yoko AO48, Dunlop Direzza are all good IMO. (People I know use them) We used Bridgestone RE11's at the VIR 13 Hour, and they wear well. My EVO came with Yokohama A13's which are acceptable, but kinda pricey aftermarket. I don't know anyone that has used the Nitto's or Hancooks, etc but that sure doesn't mean they aren't good.

I would call that guy at Tire Rack and take his advice.

Bill Seifert
Old 04-11-2010, 06:05 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I would buy something that is ok but not exceedingly expensive. You'll wear them out pretty quickly and then realise that you need R specs. Get a 2nd set of wheels if this is your only car (daily driver). If not then you will want to move up in size in both width and circumference. You will also need better brake pads, fluid, and realistically brake lines. Cooling to the rotors is very helpful too, plus slotted rotors. It all sounds like a lot of things to do, but really it's not and with things so cheap in the US it's half of what the rest of the world has to spend on the same products. Maybe less in some cases, so thank your lucky stars.

Believe me, you won't last long on stock wheels and street tyres / brakes for long. Nothing wrong with doing it in stages, but take my word for it, you WILL be changing / upgrading and probably this year.
Have fun.

Oh, and another imperative thing. Make sure you don't use too thin or light an oil and make sure it contains plenty of ZDDP. Sorry to drop the 'Oil Bomb' on you but it's better than finding out the hard way.
The hard way is a spun main bearing or worse. Can mean a total rebuild of your motor...or worse.
Go for something like a 20w/50 for the track. Do not be talked into something like an M1 5w/40 synthetic by your mechanic. It is wrong for these cars.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil discussion can eventually drive you nuts. I used Mobile 1 15W50 in my n/a 944 almost exclusively from 1990 till I sold it last year. I never had an engine failure, ever. That's almost 20 years, almost all of it DE's or racing. SCCA, PCA, PBOC, NASA, etc. A friend used the same oil during most of the same period, except he insisted on using an oil pressure accumulator. He went through 3 or 4 engines while I used basically the same one for 20 years without an Accusump. I did change to a 944S engine in 2006, but only for more power. Lately Porsche has been recommending 0W40, but that is for later cars. I now use Straight RedLine 30 wt Racing Oil, which they tell me is actually 10W30 in my Honda Civic. But I still use Mobile 1 in my 2008 EVO like I did the 944 for all those years. Also remember 951's and 944's, for that matter, spin #2 rod bearings. Mobile 1 or RedLine will probably keep that from happening. Just don't use an Accusump.

Bill
Old 04-11-2010, 11:39 AM
eshane
Instructor

Well, my friend, you have the same problem I have been dealing with the past 3 years. I drive my 951 to events, and prefer it that way. The 245/45 16's on the rear, with 225/50 16's on the front, is a better set-up than the smaller footprint stock sizes. That being said, unfortunately, all the big manufacturers have stopped making the 245/45 16's. RATS. I drove Hankook Ventur RS2's for the last couple of years and they proved to be extremely good. Gave exellent feedback on the track. Allowed me to progress from novice to advanced solo, and wore pretty well. They are Hankooks copy of the Durezza's. Rears lasted 25 track days (albiet a big slippery the last couple of events, but fun) and the fronts only 12 events (2 sets of fronts for 1 set of rears) The stock camber settings only allow 1 1/4 degrees, so this effects wears (remember, the entire suspension is a total system). I managed to purchase the last set of MIchelin Pilot Cups in 245/45 16's from Tire Rack (thanks Damon) and they ore on now. We'll see how they are (mixed reviews on here, some like others don't). The Cups may have a bit of trouble heating up with my car (not heavy enough?).
Next time, I may go to a set of Toyo RA-1, left full tread. I don't drive hard enough (stock car & suspension plus driving experience - realistic) to have a problem with full tread thickness to hurt the tires. Toyo's are well loved by the track guys here. They wear like iron, heat cycle well, and grip good. Don't know how they'll be on the highway.
I drive from Orlando to Road Atlanta, Barber, and Savannah, up to 8 haurs one way (Sebring doesn't count as it's only 1 1/2 hours away) The tires need to be relatively quiet on the highway so as not to drill a hole in my skull. I like to listen to the tunes and run the AC (it is the south in the summer).
So there, you have some wisdon fro one who drives to the track and does 12 track days a year. Good luck. Do do a bit of reasearch with Damon at Tire Rack. The width of many of the 225/50 16's vary considerably. Some are wider that others. Lots of choices. 245/45 16's are now the red-headed stepchild of the tire world.
All in all, remember to have fun.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:02 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
The oil discussion can eventually drive you nuts. I used Mobile 1 15W50 in my n/a 944 almost exclusively from 1990 till I sold it last year. I never had an engine failure, ever. That's almost 20 years, almost all of it DE's or racing. SCCA, PCA, PBOC, NASA, etc. A friend used the same oil during most of the same period, except he insisted on using an oil pressure accumulator. He went through 3 or 4 engines while I used basically the same one for 20 years without an Accusump. I did change to a 944S engine in 2006, but only for more power. Lately Porsche has been recommending 0W40, but that is for later cars. I now use Straight RedLine 30 wt Racing Oil, which they tell me is actually 10W30 in my Honda Civic. But I still use Mobile 1 in my 2008 EVO like I did the 944 for all those years. Also remember 951's and 944's, for that matter, spin #2 rod bearings. Mobile 1 or RedLine will probably keep that from happening. Just don't use an Accusump.

Bill
Stay well away from a 0w/40 for our cars!! A straight 30w is also not for us. A 15w/50 is fine. I don't care about the brand so long as it has plenty of ZDDP in it.

Quick Reply: DE/Street Tire Advice Needed