Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMPACT Racing has been SFI DEcertified

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, everyone bends over for this one - customers, retailers, even sanctioning bodys.

As far as the belts, tight is good, so they start restraining you immediately, but some degree of force limiting would seem to be a god thing. Many cars these days have both pretensioners, and force limiters that play out a bit of belt mid accident, after the pretensioner. I have the same question as above - if you don't want any stretch, than why aren't belts made out of Kevlar, or something less stretchable than the current webbing
Old 03-29-2010, 11:31 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Great for OG Racing stepping up to help their customers out.
Good luck with getting everyone taken cared of.

And if 'stretchy' nylon webbing is so bad, why don't they use steel belts that do not give for seat belts.
It'll stop you cold.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:07 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A true shame that OG Racing has been drawn into the web of deceit woven by Impact.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:03 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ew928
And if 'stretchy' nylon webbing is so bad, why don't they use steel belts that do not give for seat belts.
It'll stop you cold.
Cost and comfort.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:08 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Some forum chatter is reporting that this incident relates to Snell certified helmets that have a fire-resistant "skirt" around the bottom. Apparently the skirt has an SFI label.

Amusing that SFI would "decertify" a Snell certified helmet.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:29 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbaker
Cost and comfort.
If Schroth makes a Titanium hardware version of its harnesses for nearly $900+ why not a Kevlar version too?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Not the gov, how about peer review, scientific method etc... Greg says they do not release data. Why not?

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Who, the government?

Steve at OG racing posted this explanation of the issue on the NASA site:
Old 03-30-2010, 01:09 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
If Schroth makes a Titanium hardware version of its harnesses for nearly $900+ why not a Kevlar version too?
Sure, why not? There's a market for everything.

(A yellow helmet chinstrap is Kevlar, BTW.)
Old 03-30-2010, 01:16 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Cost and comfort.
So, 500 million a year budget F1 teams use the same harnesses as us to save a few bucks? This is black and white. Given all current data and safety research the belts/harnesses sold today are the ultimate safety protection, regardless of price or laymen's speculations.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:52 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by U4EEAH
So, 500 million a year budget F1 teams use the same harnesses as us to save a few bucks? This is black and white. Given all current data and safety research the belts/harnesses sold today are the ultimate safety protection, regardless of price or laymen's speculations.
The question to which I replied asked, why not use steel belts? Obviously, they would be uncomfortable. Equally obviously, they would be more costly.

Belts used worldwide are adequate in that they survive an impact test of ~35Gs (IIRC), the industry standard. That a stiffer belt, such as Kevlar, would survive much higher loads while imparting lower loads on the body is irrelevant in an industry where the only issue is a relatively low-performance pass/fail test.

F1 uses what's available.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:58 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

the only issue is a relatively low-performance pass/fail test.

F1 uses what's available.
I would have to disagree with both. Considering the fact that club racers spend $1400 on suits when you could buy one for $300, buy $1000 SA2005 helmets when there exist $400 SA2005 helmets, I can't imagine that if Kevlar belts were safer they wouldn't be available for purchase.

And as far as F1 goes, in the land of $50,000 helmets and custom HANS devices, I would disagree that they "use what's available."
Old 03-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

And as far as F1 goes, in the land of $50,000 helmets and custom HANS devices, I would disagree that they "use what's available."
Be wary of comparing anything to a purpose built formula car cockpit. They have the luxury of building the car around the driver and that makes it a LOT easier to deal with things like seat belt stretch. The harnesses are many inches shorter, the lateral movement protection of the entire body is easyily contained by the tub, etc.

It's also not a factor of them "using what's available". It's actually quite the opposite. We have the opportunity to buy what they are using. No reason for the companies like Willans and such to make one-offs when they can sell those 900 dollar harness systems to all the guys with lots of money. Schuberth helmets are also available to the public, etc.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:41 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
It's also not a factor of them "using what's available". It's actually quite the opposite. We have the opportunity to buy what they are using. No reason for the companies like Willans and such to make one-offs when they can sell those 900 dollar harness systems to all the guys with lots of money. Schuberth helmets are also available to the public, etc.
That's the point that I was making - F1 teams spec and use exactly what they want in materials and safety. It seems like G. Baker was making the point that they simply use commercial off-the-shelf items, which just isn't true.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

That's the point that I was making - F1 teams spec and use exactly what they want in materials and safety. It seems like G. Baker was making the point that they simply use commercial off-the-shelf items, which just isn't true.
I have absolutely no idea why Kevlar belts are not used in F1. I don't wish to speculate. Then again, perhaps they are.

My point is that a Kevlar harness will be superior to one using a non-aramid fiber webbing due to strength and elasticity.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:14 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Great news. I always hated my Impact harnesses. Now I have to replace them.

Quick Reply: IMPACT Racing has been SFI DEcertified