Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMPACT Racing has been SFI DEcertified

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 01:11 AM
Racin44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem I see here extends to company integrity. Where this is dangerous to anyone that is using their products is: If they were willing to circumvent the rules for the patches, think how much MORE money they could save if only the items that were sent to SFI for certification were actually manufactured to the standard that was tested. If you are willing to cross the line, to me, you cannot be trusted not to cross ANY line. Bad form, Impact.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:58 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sleaze
Old 03-27-2010, 10:50 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SFI Press release suggests that the gear was certified, but was then produced with counterfeit SFI patches. SFI makes its royalty revenue by requiring the manufacturers to purchase the patches. The PR claims that Impact were not buying the kosher patches.

If this is correct, then its commonplace commercial sleaze. There is no suggestion in the press reelase that Impact were delivering sub-standard gear. That said, SFI will probably delist the Impact gear unless a settlement is reached.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:24 PM
RSA333
Racer

^Sorry, this is not a reasonable explanation. In my business, if we "faked" anything regarding certification, we would be fined and jailed by the U.S. FDA. Racer's lives are at stake - Period.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Racin44
Advanced

And again I ask if you feel that you can absolutely TRUST that what you are buying from this dishonest, cost-cutting company will be the real thing? I would not.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:57 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Racin44
The problem I see here extends to company integrity. Where this is dangerous to anyone that is using their products is: If they were willing to circumvent the rules for the patches, think how much MORE money they could save if only the items that were sent to SFI for certification were actually manufactured to the standard that was tested. If you are willing to cross the line, to me, you cannot be trusted not to cross ANY line. Bad form, Impact.
Agreed.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Weston
Racer

Originally Posted by todinlaw
You have to wonder why he felt it necessary to do the counterfeit patch deal. Was it to save a few pennies or was it that the products would not pass the standard.
It doesn't have anything to do with the product being up to par or not... SFI doesn't inspect each individual product that has their tag on it. The manufacturer is the one that guarantees that it meets SFI standards and then installs the tags. The only difference between Impact Racing gear with a real SFI tag, and that with a possibly fake SFI tag, is that one has had it's SFI tax paid.

If there were a legitimate safety concern, they would have been immediately decertified, but that is not the case here. This is purely a monetary dispute between SFI and Impact Racing... SFI suspects that Impact Racing didn't kick up their full percent, Impact refused to give in, so now SFI is harassing the innocent customers. It's like a G-rated episode of the Sopranos.

As usual, SFI is protecting their bottom-line ($$$), not the racer. That said, I do feel that Impact Racing is shady and I would not buy from them.

When it comes to safety gear they should be shot. We rely on those standards in making safety decisions. Plus how stupid, if anyone gets an injury wearing his stuff, he is going to get sued.
Yes, but that's not applicable here.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:43 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Weston
As usual, SFI is protecting their bottom-line ($$$), not the racer.
SFI is a non-profit organization that uses its money to develop standards and methods of testing for our safety gear. They then sell the licensing to these standards. When a company stiffs SFI, that means their budget to further racing safety gear is smaller, which means the racer loses. Protecting SFI's bottom-line is protecting the racer.

Last edited by WHB Porsche; 03-27-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:36 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

I wouldnt own one product from Impact...
Old 03-27-2010, 03:37 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

been junk is junk.. always thought so... now it appears to be true
Old 03-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think SFI is a BS organization but what impact did is wrong.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:34 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APKhaos
The SFI Press release suggests that the gear was certified, but was then produced with counterfeit SFI patches. SFI makes its royalty revenue by requiring the manufacturers to purchase the patches. The PR claims that Impact were not buying the kosher patches.

If this is correct, then its commonplace commercial sleaze. There is no suggestion in the press reelase that Impact were delivering sub-standard gear. That said, SFI will probably delist the Impact gear unless a settlement is reached.
Originally Posted by RSA333
^Sorry, this is not a reasonable explanation. In my business, if we "faked" anything regarding certification, we would be fined and jailed by the U.S. FDA. Racer's lives are at stake - Period.
Disagree but it is likely spot on. how I bet there will be some across the table Back and forth, a final agreement on $ that changes hand and all is clear. Or Impact will just fold and next year another brand will come on the market with SFI stickers affixed. It was noted by SFI that the gear was not faked, only the tax stamp was.

Originally Posted by Arkadi
I think SFI is a BS organization but what impact did is wrong.
+1 to both.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:05 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Drag racers are not taking any chances

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/node.php?id=2991
Old 03-27-2010, 11:29 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston
It doesn't have anything to do with the product being up to par or not... SFI doesn't inspect each individual product that has their tag on it. The manufacturer is the one that guarantees that it meets SFI standards and then installs the tags. The only difference between Impact Racing gear with a real SFI tag, and that with a possibly fake SFI tag, is that one has had it's SFI tax paid.

As usual, SFI is protecting their bottom-line ($$$), not the racer. That said, I do feel that Impact Racing is shady and I would not buy from them.
Sounds like this is exactly what Impact was thinking. "it's cert'd, so what's wrong with some fake tags?"

Interesting to criticize SFI first instead of Impact since it appears the money just went directly to Impact's bottom line. A decision they now regret no doubt, which is really what this is, an extra strength stupid business call.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Sounds like this is exactly what Impact was thinking. "it's cert'd, so what's wrong with some fake tags?"

Interesting to criticize SFI first instead of Impact since it appears the money just went directly to Impact's bottom line. A decision they now regret no doubt, which is really what this is, an extra strength stupid business call.

I think the reason that SFI is getting hit first is twofold. It's so blatantly obvious about Impact that criticizing them is just too easy.

The second reason is that the decertification of the equipment that apparently meets the SFI standards and could very well have a real SFI tag does nothing to hurt Impact. All it does is hurt the racers and forces them to buy another suit (with an SFI tag) which puts money in SFI hands. The decertificaiton of the older equipment will most likely have zero bearing on the future of Impact, it's the ending of the relationship between the two that will.

Quick Reply: IMPACT Racing has been SFI DEcertified