little confused shuffle

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:44 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is crossing hands bad because of the newer cars with airbags?
And how often does one need to add more steering once into a corner.
Understeer get worster?
Just curious.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:18 AM
rickmdz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I think the older guys,Redman,Elford,etc, had to do it more with the older technology and production cars they raced and rally'd. Newer young guns grow up in Formula cars where there is no need for it.

Personally I would rather shuffle than cross up my hands or steer one handed.
Exactly! Watch "El Maestro" in Monaco

In a modern formula cars you never see it, in rally cars it's pretty common
Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

WoW! What a great clip. I've never seen that before. Thanks.

As for shuffle steering, it totally depends on the car, the steering ratio, the track etc. I'm sure plenty of people would say you should never let go of the wheel while cornering either...
Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ew928
Understeer get worster?
Just curious.
It's worse to be smoking when the Airbag goes off....
Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

cool clip!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
You've been Kiborted. After having his ego stroked by the 928 guys, he pops over here to preach every once in a while and then gets upset when people provide evidence to debunk him. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Yup. That is the reason I try to avoid his threads. Nothing good comes of them, people rarely learn anything. They are all about "I am smarter than anyone else".

As far as shuffle steering, yes there are times you must do it. Beyond that, I tend to shuffle most of the time, and I have reasons that is makes sense, at least for me. I am nothing but an amateur, but I am an amateur with quite a few years and a great deal of experience in areas that most (on Rennlist) do not share. I have little interest in having my opinions attacked simply because they do not agree with the OP of that other thread, who cannot provide evidence for his points. If we want this thread to be about shuffle steering, I would be happy to provide my reasons for preferring shuffle steering, and I do not feel that everyone has to follow my opinion or be an idiot - both techniques work for different people.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:57 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Is there anything you can take to cure Shuffle Steer? It seems scary. Now I read that VR may have caught it from a vintage race car. Ewwww!
I have heard that penicillin works in many cases. But I am old and easily confused - that might be for something else.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:58 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ew928
Understeer get worster?
Just curious.
That is one reason to avoid shuffle steering. But with understeer, you usually need to reduce steering input to get the front to bite.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Beyond that, I tend to shuffle most of the time, and I have reasons that is makes sense, at least for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWQR1ka74GM

This is Sunday, back when he had a funky Fu Manchu. It's as germain as the "Shuffle" thread OP's comments.

(btw Mark - your old car won the IMSA Lites race at Sebring last Friday. I guess it's not that "old". Damn...I should have bought it....)
Old 03-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by rickmdz
Exactly! Watch "El Maestro" in Monaco

In a modern formula cars you never see it, in rally cars it's pretty common
He was amazing, 4 wheel drift at 100MPH with two gas tanks for side protection and Fiats for guard rails...
Old 03-23-2010, 02:44 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
WoW! What a great clip. I've never seen that before. Thanks.

As for shuffle steering, it totally depends on the car, the steering ratio, the track etc. I'm sure plenty of people would say you should never let go of the wheel while cornering either...
Why is this so hard for some to grasp? "Depends" is a valid answer for things other than what underwear do I use on track.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

I locked the thread as it turned out to be just a bash fest, not a discussion of why in this case, IMHO, the shuffle steering technique led to issues that I have seen with folks I have helped, MANY times before. Now, is there a place for shuffle steering? Yes, I have done it in extreme cases, for the reasons the opposing camps claim are valid reasons to do it.
There were misunderstanding of even the one comment refering to the 3 videos out there. The videos showing the pros, had little or nothing to do with the "issues" the newbee had with his steering techniques.
I think there is a little projection going on here. Of course, if it isnt VR or Bryans way, its to be bashed.
Bryan has the ***** to critizize my driving, and so does VR. Well, thats fine, thats why the challenge was held out there to race and settle it. Bryan seems to pedal his race car well, dispite his shuffle sterring! . If you are instructing someone on the track and allow this technique or adocate it, I feel you are not doing anyone any favors. Again, my opinion.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

One of the most exciting rides of my life was with this hilarious British guy named Brian Redman, in a recently restored '73 RSR (a real one) at Moroso, helping the owner sort it out. Not only did I learn alot watching him left foot brake all over the place, but in one spot he did shuffle steer.

But then, what the heck would he know about driving? Surely our 928 friend knows better.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

... you rode with Brian Redman??

OT: have you read this book... its flat out amazing.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Brother!

I have driven with guys that do this and after fixing this "issue" their driving improved tremedously. guys with talent can probalby drive by feel. situations, like full lock recovery, require some hand over hand. Those of us with a lot of experince, know that eventually, you might get a big wiggle that might require the "shuffle". However, in my opinion, its a nasty habit that stems from general street driving and a lot of new trackies think they are being smooth by not moving their hand positions much, UNTIL the tail gets out of wack then its over correct, wash repeat, etc and into the tires. on the edge, good hand positions allows for just the right amount of input and correction. drifting, snow driving, big slides, steering ratios, all might on occasion require slightly different techiques.

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
You've been Kiborted. After having his ego stroked by the 928 guys, he pops over here to preach every once in a while and then gets upset when people provide evidence to debunk him. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:08 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Striking an expired equine.

Quick Reply: little confused shuffle