Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got 6-points, Got HANS, open face helmet ok?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:25 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After having driven a fully-prepped race car for the first time this weekend, I wouldn't feel comfortable pushing it in an unrepared street car on the track. Go for the full face!

Last edited by WHB Porsche; 03-23-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 PM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

in the end the question always is "what is your head worth?" Answer that and it will be clear which way to go

b

Originally Posted by Kaizu
I drive with a street legal car on track days (open pitlane etc.) and on competitive time attacks on various circuits.

At last I came to my senses and bought a HANS device and now need a new helmet. Arai dealer is close so I was thinking their open face model, just like the Finnish rally drivers use.

I think I do not need the potential additional safety of the close face helmet as I always drive with windows closed. The open face helmet seems lighter, perhaps more easier to see and perhaps more comfortable etc.

But, if you strongly are against that kind of helmet for my use, feel free to comment. At least thanks to HANS and 6-point belts I won't be hitting the airbag with my face...
Old 03-23-2010, 09:45 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Full face makes sense if you have air bag. If you start racing, think about a shield. Check out Charles Espenlaub article in Grass Roots Motorsport or on line. Real life, club/semi pro racing, he indicates that he would be dead without a full shield. Just food for thought.

Quick Reply: Got 6-points, Got HANS, open face helmet ok?