Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got 6-points, Got HANS, open face helmet ok?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Kaizu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got 6-points, Got HANS, open face helmet ok?

I drive with a street legal car on track days (open pitlane etc.) and on competitive time attacks on various circuits.

At last I came to my senses and bought a HANS device and now need a new helmet. Arai dealer is close so I was thinking their open face model, just like the Finnish rally drivers use.

I think I do not need the potential additional safety of the close face helmet as I always drive with windows closed. The open face helmet seems lighter, perhaps more easier to see and perhaps more comfortable etc.

But, if you strongly are against that kind of helmet for my use, feel free to comment. At least thanks to HANS and 6-point belts I won't be hitting the airbag with my face...
Old 03-22-2010, 08:33 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you windshield is glass and or you side windows I would only use a full face with shield.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

You don't hit the airbag, it hits you. harness and hans or not. Full face, shield down is best, but since most keep the shield up or off not that big a difference. What's with the closed windows? Not allowed at any U.S. track events for many good reasons.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

What group allows your windows up?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:19 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 ... full face
Old 03-22-2010, 09:40 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I upgraded last year from a open face to hans and a closed face helmet. When I was buying my head restraint (Hutchens) the new helmet I bought is pre-drilled for the anchors. When I suggested I might not need to upgrade my helmet the guys at the shop kind of laughed at me. It is possible that if you were in a frontal heavy impact with an open face you could get choked on the chin strap. know I don't know for sure what the risk of that happening is but if your going for the protection of the Hans then go the extra step of a full face helmet, it just makes good sense.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto... IMHO safety should not be an area of conservation. If you're getting a Han's get the full face.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:58 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't think anybody used an open face helmet anymore....
Old 03-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I prefer the open face - cooler by far. All modern helmets rated SA come predrilled for HANS anchors. I use a Stilo designed for pro rally and has a built in intercom system, perfect for teaching.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:58 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I've asked the folks at HANS during training and they usually say although you can use an open face, they prefer a full face helmet with a HANS device. The chin bar provides additional structural support in the helmet in relation to where the anchors are installed.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 03-23-2010, 11:38 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

In case of fire I would want a full face with the shield down.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

closed face all the way. I don't think open faced helmets should even be eligible for snell ratings.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:38 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having spun a few times, I am amazed at the debris that comes through the window when you are going sideways. I do like my open face for ease of communications and the cooler temp factor, but when I upgraded to the Hans i decided to put my safety first. that was a slippery slope, then came the fire suppression system, Cage, Halo seat, Fire suit. It is a risky business, even in DE as we were just reminded of a few weeks ago. I am trying to avoid the " I should have done..."
Old 03-23-2010, 05:39 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

Too bad you're in Finland. I bought a new Bell M3 and just won a new HJC Si-12 plus I still have my SA 2000 helmet. All are full face, but I don't need three, so I'll sell two of them. I'll probably keep the new one that feels best on my funny shaped head. The Bell and HJC are both predrilled for a Hans device. Some of the newer full face helmets are about as light as the open ones, so I too favor full face. I can't compare the Bell and HJC yet because the HJC hasn't arrived.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
In case of fire I would want a full face with the shield down.
I haven't seen a fire at a DE in many years. The modern street cars don't seem to catch fire - something I am very happy about.

I rate the risk of brain fade due to excess heat in a closed face helmet as higher than the odds of foreign objects in the car. Note that I see almost nobody at DE with a full face and a visor installed. The Porsche Sport Driving School uses open face helmets if that matters.
It becomes a matter of choice. Whichever you chose be aware that Snell 2000 helmets will be obsolete and no longer allowed by PCA later this year.

Best,

Quick Reply: Got 6-points, Got HANS, open face helmet ok?