Sponsored by:

TWS PCA Club race ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amondc
Yes if you get it wrong you are fvcked in a bad way, espically in a cup or modded 996.
Been there, almost rolled it going off, RS America. A buddy who didn't quite follow me into it as agressively said all he could see was the bottom of the car. I remember thinking this is really going to hurt as I went up sideways after going off Dukes of Hazard style and thru the ditch, then somehow it came back down on 4 wheels. I ran out of talent that day but still had my good luck.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Been there, almost rolled it going off, RS America. A buddy who didn't quite follow me into it as agressively said all he could see was the bottom of the car. I remember thinking this is really going to hurt as I went up sideways after going off Dukes of Hazard style and thru the ditch, then somehow it came back down on 4 wheels. I ran out of talent that day but still had my good luck.

Ugh. I had a similar experience not long ago coaching a guy in his Patron Cup 7GT3 Cup (no one who was at TWS last weekend). His crew was looking for some data with different rear wing trim configurations, so while my client looked at his data from our previous session & rehydrated, I took his car out for nearly 30 minutes, working different lines into 1/2 as they fiddled with wing trip every 3 laps or so. One cycle, the combination of wing trim + the line I had chosen over the transition = a car that got extremely loose and then started sortt of hopping from side to side. I caught it w/o going off track, but it was a definite Code Brown experience.

What a car, though.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im flat out down the hill and brake once setted but still tend to over brake too soon. I need help there more than anywhere. Going only once per year is not helping either.

I have a lot less Horsepower than you 996 guys too so that helps
Old 03-23-2010, 08:03 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

I havn't watched the vid yet,damn work firewall, but from looking at the lap times and knowing the similarities between the cars, I am thinking that I have some Data that you would like to see of TWS. If not before the next NASA event then at the event we can go over. You still use Traqmate correct ?
I would LOVE to see your Traqmate data!! Thank you.

Looking at Jay's times from last year and it is truly amazing how fast that car/driver are despite relatively modest hp/wt, potentially could have beaten everything except the 997 Cups. It's both humbling and exciting at the same time.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:07 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakermc
I would LOVE to see your Traqmate data!! Thank you.

Looking at Jay's times from last year and it is truly amazing how fast that car/driver are despite relatively modest hp/wt, potentially could have beaten everything except the 997 Cups. It's both humbling and exciting at the same time.
He's even faster this year, look at the MSR-C times. - I'd love to say it's all due to his driving coach but I think the car builder could also have had something to do with it.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:48 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

He's even faster this year, look at the MSR-C times. - I'd love to say it's all due to his driving coach but I think the car builder could also have had something to do with it.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are the most modest person I know. And the best at humility.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Ran a 144 and change In a 2000 996 cup racing with mike h in his 02 cup, we were flying...he went off in 1-2 hot, result double back flip with a twist, walked away. Sold me on Cups for life for safety. Found coming in low transitioning off the low line across apron to be the quick route in the cup. Gave most distance to clean up the slop under braking as youhead out to the orange box for turn nto 2. Mike came In From a bit highe line, car hopped around and he couldn't get it buttoned Down before off track excursion began. Best I ever saw fom high along fence was Jan rask, he would dive bomb from somewhere off the high bank near the end of fence. Amazing to watch. If you sit in thebleachers and look down at the transiton line there us a very clear black demarcation on the transition fromtires compressing under braking/load or oil /fluids dropping off the car there due to g load. There is one area that is a pretty grey color that denotes the area of minimum upst to th car from the high line. Jan would hit that every time. I could never find it at speed just from up in the stands.
I've never gone that fast there again, not even in the 7. Truly a heuvos track. Took family to HI or would like to have gone this year. Closest emulation of 1/2 at daytona I've driven but then a very real, challenging road course also. A great track!!

Last edited by Glen; 03-24-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:15 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou

Ok, ok, I admit it, it's those specially matched tires.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Found coming in low transitioning off the low line across apron to be the quick route in the cup. Gave most distance to clean up the slop under braking as youhead out to the orange box for turn nto 2. Mike came In From a bit highe line, car hopped around and he couldn't get it buttoned Down before off track excursion began.
I agree. This is exactly what we also found in the test I described above...and this is exactly how I had my "moment"--doing what Mike did.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: TWS PCA Club race ?