Sponsored by:

TWS PCA Club race ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Would love to see video of your fast qual lap. I see at least a second, perhaps a 1.5, sitting there easy-peasy on the table in T1/T2.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
T1/T2 is probably my strongest part of the track, data shows I am even faster than Jason Hart through there. I gained more time there than anywhere else. Remember that this lap was on a damp track and was 8 seconds slower than my quali time. Top speed in that video is 10+ mph slower than my best. I have no doubt at all that I still have work to do, but not much to gain in T1/T2 when I am going all out.

Turn 3 is a problem for me. Then 13-15. Those are my next focus areas. Also need to brake less before turning into 7.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
T1/T2 is probably my strongest part of the track, data shows I am even faster than Jason Hart through there. I gained more time there than anywhere else. Remember that this lap was on a damp track and was 8 seconds slower than my quali time. Top speed in that video is 10+ mph slower than my best. I have no doubt at all that I still have work to do, but not much to gain in T1/T2 when I am going all out.

Turn 3 is a problem for me. Then 13-15. Those are my next focus areas. Also need to brake less before turning into 7.

That's why I would be interested to see that qual lap video. Yes, those other areas were apparent, but you are off the throttle way early coming off the banking, IMO. If you have vid of that qual lap, could you privately email it to me or PM me? I will keep my comments to you directly. No disrespect to Jason, but I am not certain that is the very best measuring stick. Don't take that the wrong way.....

Old 03-23-2010, 11:14 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

TWS looks like a fun track!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
TWS looks like a fun track!

It really is. Probably the most underrated road course in the US, IMO. You should come down & race it next March!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:23 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Would love to.

It really is. Probably the most underrated road course in the US, IMO. You should come down & race it next March!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:44 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Rob I'll be racing another 02' X51 this weekend at Spring Mountain. This one has the 4:00 R&P which really makes the gearing more usable. If you can't hit 6 at TWS, I doubt you'll ever use it at any of your local tracks. It's also pretty light at around 2525 empty. $3k for the gear + about $1k to install next time your find some spare cash hidden under the mattress....

All our 996's out here have experienced tranny issues with the POS Gertag boxes. I took Viking's advise and switched to Synolec 9920. What are you using in your trans?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:49 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

That's why I would be interested to see that qual lap video. Yes, those other areas were apparent, but you are off the throttle way early coming off the banking, IMO. If you have vid of that qual lap, could you privately email it to me or PM me? I will keep my comments to you directly. No disrespect to Jason, but I am not certain that is the very best measuring stick. Don't take that the wrong way.....

Yes, of course I was off throttle way early. I did not go out for practice, quali, or race 1. That was the 4th lap I had turned all day after significant rain fall. Tires are still coming up to temp and I'm just trying to figure out where there was grip where it was slick. Wasn't ready to guess wrong and explore the grassy knoll.

Check out the lap times on mylaps. Everyone was slow, and fast laps for the top 10 were all set on the final two laps of the race (with one exception). Watch the video with the perspective of the track conditions at hand.

The point of the video was not to show a hot lap, there is no point on analyzing anything in that video including those other areas. It's like analyzing a Parade Lap during lunch time at a DE. At Mike's request I was just trying to show how I got by in T8.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:57 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Rob I'll be racing another 02' X51 this weekend at Spring Mountain. This one has the 4:00 R&P which really makes the gearing more usable. If you can't hit 6 at TWS, I doubt you'll ever use it at any of your local tracks. It's also pretty light at around 2525 empty. $3k for the gear + about $1k to install next time your find some spare cash hidden under the mattress....

All our 996's out here have experienced tranny issues with the POS Gertag boxes. I took Viking's advise and switched to Synolec 9920. What are you using in your trans?
My tranny is stock, just the addition of a Cup LSD and Aasco flywheel. I think I still have the stock clutch. I don't trust my tranny right now, hearing some drive line noise when I get off the track. I really need to get my car to Viking for an ECU tune and preventitive maintenance on the tranny.

I top out at 150 mph or so at TWS, so still in 5th gear.

That car sounds fun! Looking forward to a review of Spring Mountain as well, sounds like a neat facility.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:12 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc

I havn't watched the vid yet,damn work firewall, but from looking at the lap times and knowing the similarities between the cars, I am thinking that I have some Data that you would like to see of TWS. If not before the next NASA event then at the event we can go over. You still use Traqmate correct ?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:17 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be flat on the floor in one till you settle after the bumps, then all over the brakes and pray for 2.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:20 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

It really is. Probably the most underrated road course in the US, IMO.

I have thought that for years !
Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by amondc
You should be flat on the floor in one till you settle after the bumps, then all over the brakes and pray for 2.
That technique works very well but you must be careful with where you take the transition and most lack the huevos for it.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onefastviking
That technique works very well but you must be careful with where you take the transition and most lack the huevos for it.
Yes if you get it wrong you are fvcked in a bad way, espically in a cup or modded 996.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:34 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Long video of my qualifying run in the rain on Saturday. FF to ~ 4:30, and then watch. That's Cory Jump going off in 1-2, and then staying in front of me till I almost lose it in T6. At the time, I got a bit peaved at Cory in T3 after his spin, but looking back it was probably a clean move on his part. This run got me a P6 qualifying time.

http://vimeo.com/10369774
Old 03-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amondc
Yes if you get it wrong you are fvcked in a bad way, espically in a cup or modded 996.
Indeed.

Quick Reply: TWS PCA Club race ?