Sponsored by:

Does USF1ASCO have their cars ready?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010 | 09:30 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl
And Anderson talks about 2011? Like anyone will listen to him now... the whole mess is rather embarrassing for American F1 fans- I'm sure the Europeans are laughing their "*****" off at us right now...
You got that right. By now, only thing he needs to do is shut the fuck up.
Old 03-03-2010 | 11:56 AM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

Last I checked, Peter Windsor has a bit of an across the pond accent. Maybe the Europeans have little room to laugh. The cost to enter F1 is more prohibitive than it has to be and Bernie E. likes it that way.

If I didn't have so many years invested in following F1 from the States, I would just say screw the soap opera that it has become and I would just watch U.S. based sports car racing, like ALMS and Grand Am, which I already follow. These series are far more accessible to fans, feature great drivers, like Leh and David Donahue, who grew up a stones throw from my house, and offer great wheel to wheel action, unlike the parade that has become F1.
Old 03-03-2010 | 12:42 PM
Cory M
Drifting

FIA rejects USF1 2011 request:

http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...D=359217&FS=F1
Old 03-03-2010 | 01:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lothar
Last I checked, Peter Windsor has a bit of an across the pond accent. Maybe the Europeans have little room to laugh. The cost to enter F1 is more prohibitive than it has to be and Bernie E. likes it that way.

If I didn't have so many years invested in following F1 from the States, I would just say screw the soap opera that it has become and I would just watch U.S. based sports car racing, like ALMS and Grand Am, which I already follow. These series are far more accessible to fans, feature great drivers, like Leh and David Donahue, who grew up a stones throw from my house, and offer great wheel to wheel action, unlike the parade that has become F1.
Lothar, Peter is a Brit but this whole thing was to be an American team from the name to the drivers etc. so that's why rest of the World is "laughing" (if they are). And it's not because it was an American effort, it's because how messed up the whole thing was.

You can watch all racing you want (I watch many different forms from Grand-Am to WRC to ALMS MotoGP to Motocross to Formula 1) but there's no need to blame FIA ot Formula 1 for this circus, it was all 100% USF1ASCO's doings and FIA & Formula 1 were actually FAR MORE accommodating with USF1ASCO's bull**** that what they should've been.
I'm mad because to a point I believed their bull**** too and was hopeful that it would've been real.

Originally Posted by Cory M
It's about time, they should've done this a while ago so that Stefan GP could've been accepted in.
Old 03-03-2010 | 02:55 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

So it looks like Windsor will be in the unemployment line...
Old 03-03-2010 | 04:23 PM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Lothar, Peter is a Brit but this whole thing was to be an American team from the name to the drivers etc. so that's why rest of the World is "laughing" (if they are). And it's not because it was an American effort, it's because how messed up the whole thing was.

You can watch all racing you want (I watch many different forms from Grand-Am to WRC to ALMS MotoGP to Motocross to Formula 1) but there's no need to blame FIA ot Formula 1 for this circus, it was all 100% USF1ASCO's doings and FIA & Formula 1 were actually FAR MORE accommodating with USF1ASCO's bull**** that what they should've been.
I'm not blaming the FIA for USF1's problems. Peter and Ken knew that it was a tall mountain to climb before they started their effort. However, F1 has been a soap opera over the past few years, with crazy rule changes, bizarre penalties, and clear favoring of certain teams. A substantial cost of participating in F1 can be indirectly attributed to the greed of one Bernie E. Add Max Mosely's behavior both as FIA president and away from racing and you have a regular three ring circus.

My point of comparing F1 to other forms of racing is that some of what the FIA and Bernie E. have instituted has done nothing to enhance competition on the track.
Old 03-03-2010 | 04:27 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

This whole thing is a bummer for fans of F1 in the US.
Old 03-03-2010 | 05:06 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lothar
I'm not blaming the FIA for USF1's problems. Peter and Ken knew that it was a tall mountain to climb before they started their effort. However, F1 has been a soap opera over the past few years, with crazy rule changes, bizarre penalties, and clear favoring of certain teams. A substantial cost of participating in F1 can be indirectly attributed to the greed of one Bernie E. Add Max Mosely's behavior both as FIA president and away from racing and you have a regular three ring circus.

My point of comparing F1 to other forms of racing is that some of what the FIA and Bernie E. have instituted has done nothing to enhance competition on the track.
Peter and Ken certainly knew the tall mounting and they were planning this even before Mosley's announcement of budget cuts etc. so they could've/should've had everything figured out.

Certainly F1 has grazyness and Bernie for sure has greed but overall F1 is still very popular form of motorsport, the most popular in the World so Bernie certainly has been and is doing something right.
None of the other motorsports you mentioned don't come even close. I mean, not even in a same ballpark, Country or even same Globe, they're so far back, even NASCAR which is super popular in US is waaaaayy back of F1 in Global popularity so there's still something to F1 that attracts fans.

look at the number of people who follow Grand-Am, Alms or even mighty NASCAR, combine all of those and multiple by 10 and you might be somewhere near F1...

And by the way, FIA has really nothing to do with Bernie or F1 directly and there are plenty of other forms of motorsport FIA does (WRC, Le Mans, FIA GT etc.)
Old 03-03-2010 | 07:34 PM
Benton
Drifting

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I'm mad because to a point I believed their bull**** too and was hopeful that it would've been real.
I totally fell for it. It's interesting to think about if they would have made it if they could have gotten started when they originally planned.
Old 03-03-2010 | 08:41 PM
JustinL
Drifting

At this stage, it looks like StephanGP is out too.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/3/10484.html
Old 03-03-2010 | 08:44 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, they screwed everyone by waiting so long to pull out...probably won't help their cause to try again in 2011 either...
Old 03-03-2010 | 09:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
Yeah, they screwed everyone by waiting so long to pull out...probably won't help their cause to try again in 2011 either...
In another thread, there was a link to an article basically telling USF1 there is not 2011 for them.

I hate to say it, but in spite of all the advocates early on, the first time I saw the shops, I knew it was over.

I've been involved with skunk works projects and USF1 was definitely not setup like one.
Old 03-03-2010 | 09:30 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

They won't hold a spot for them for sure. But I think the open spot wouldn't be given to them even if they got their sheet together by then as punishment...plus Bernie's dislike for all things North American to boot...
Old 03-03-2010 | 10:01 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

I don't feel too bad about Stefan GP. I don't think they were very confidence-inspiring either. Hell, they didn't even have a tire supplier until the other day, I can only imagine what the rest of their organization is...
Old 03-04-2010 | 09:02 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
...I hate to say it, but in spite of all the advocates early on, the first time I saw the shops, I knew it was over.

I've been involved with skunk works projects and USF1 was definitely not setup like one.
Yep, I remember when they had that "special" with Matchett visiting the factory and seeing the friggin' cinder block "design office" and couple of guys rotating some minor 3D part in their AutoCAD computer screen was so sad.
And their reasoning of course was that instead of spending money on fancy offices etc., they're focusing on car development... What a joke.

Originally Posted by ilko
I don't feel too bad about Stefan GP. I don't think they were very confidence-inspiring either. Hell, they didn't even have a tire supplier until the other day, I can only imagine what the rest of their organization is...
It wasn't World class operation (yet) but they had a good car (from Toyota) and other stuff from there too and some of their problems were directly caused by USF1ASCO with their bull**** and delaying.
And of course FIA's announcement that Stefan GP is not accepted in because it's too late for that is another "nice" fuckup Anderson & Windsor have done, I'm sure there aren't too many in F1 circles who likes them and for a reason.
I have no doubt Bernie & FIA have told them to stop fucking everyone and get lost forever.

And it's not because Bernie doesn't like US, he would love US to have more interested in F1 and US team would've been a great way to grow that interest but the reality is there isn't much interest here, it's NASCAR and then some little for others (Grand-Am, ALMS etc.).

Quick Reply: Does USF1ASCO have their cars ready?