Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does PCA give a no-cage waiver for Comp School?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does PCA give a no-cage waiver for Comp School?

BMWCCA will allow you to run without a roll cage (by waiver) solely to complete competition school. Setting aside the wisdom of doing so, I was wondering if PCA did this.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:19 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Greg,

Not commenting on how wise or not it is to run without a roll cage...

First, I'm not sure what you are thinking of a competition school, for PCA it is not a separate event from a club race weekend. PCA's approach is once you are approved by the DE Instructor chair for candidacy for club racing you are then considered a rookie candidate. All the schooling and transitions from rookie candidate to rookie happens in your first club race weekend, as long as you don't screw up - you must participate in all the run sessions of your first club race weekend.

I believe PCA will approve a car for the first 4 or so races without a roll cage, but will a roll bar is required along with all the other saftety equipment. I'm not sure if there are bolt in roll bar options for the 944, but there are some good options for the older 911 model.

Hope this answers yor questions Greg,

-Skip
Old 02-22-2010, 05:20 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

PCA will let you run the first 2 races IIRR with only a roll bar. After that you have to have a cage.

Read this: http://www.pca.org/portals/cr/PCA-CR...ule%20Book.pdf
Old 02-22-2010, 05:28 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
BMWCCA will allow you to run without a roll cage (by waiver) solely to complete competition school. Setting aside the wisdom of doing so, I was wondering if PCA did this.
NASA does this as well. Last I figured PCA did not . However the PCA comp school was held at evey PCA club race and the expectation was once you had a race car you did the comp school program.

My comp school consisted of class room sessions and time on track in regular race group practice. Then we did a few practice starts and a mock race. Next day was full on racing with a "rookie" license. After I completed the require number of races cleanly I was given a full comp license.

NASA has limited comp schools per year and they are run as a seperate group. I believe this why they allow street cars (ie not fully race safety gear).
Old 02-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by swftiii
Greg,

Not commenting on how wise or not it is to run without a roll cage...

First, I'm not sure what you are thinking of a competition school, for PCA it is not a separate event from a club race weekend. PCA's approach is once you are approved by the DE Instructor chair for candidacy for club racing you are then considered a rookie candidate. All the schooling and transitions from rookie candidate to rookie happens in your first club race weekend, as long as you don't screw up - you must participate in all the run sessions of your first club race weekend.

I believe PCA will approve a car for the first 4 or so races without a roll cage, but will a roll bar is required along with all the other saftety equipment. I'm not sure if there are bolt in roll bar options for the 944, but there are some good options for the older 911 model.

Hope this answers yor questions Greg,

-Skip
Thanks. I don't suppose the John Hajny / Redline bolt-in counts as a roll-bar. But there are bolt-ins for the 944.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:02 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NASA has a dedicated competition license school, as does BMWCCA.

PCA does not. Newbies get a classroom session, then participate in two fun races which typically have two or more practise starts. After that they can participate in regular races, usually at the same event.
Cars must be inspected and passed as rules compliant to play. [see above roll bar allowance too!]
Old 02-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Competition school without a rollbar or cage (NASA, BMW CCA) = ok in my book, as it's a much more controlled environment than a race.

Club racing with nothing but a rollbar (PCA) = dumb, dumb, dumb. Can't imagine going on track in a wheel-to-wheel competition situation without any side protection.

The BMW CCA Comp School seems to be very well regarded. If you're thinking of getting into racing with PCA, I still think running a comp school (BMW CCA or NASA) is a good idea rather than having to learn in a "hot" environment of a club race.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The BMW comp schools out here are first rate. Last year at Sears I was one of the field fillers/wild cards expressly inserted to give the students an idea of where experienced drivers will/won't pass, brake, etc. So there were about 20 students, some in race prepped cars and others in street cars; plus 10 or so of us running with them.

PCA club racing, at least 10 years ago when I was getting re-licensed after a 10+ year wheel-to-wheel layoff........well, we had about a half hour "talk" then it was line up for practice session one the next morning. I think I was one of 3 or 4 students/rookies of 65-70 entries in two groups. I was comfortable running a race again as most of my track days are open passing; but it was a little overwhelming for the other guys who were used to waiting for the pointby on a straight.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not rent a car with everything in it, then if you don't like it you haven't blown 3k sticking a roll cage in your car.

Quick Reply: Does PCA give a no-cage waiver for Comp School?