Sponsored by:

New Race Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 11:50 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Hmmm... not sure I'd agree with that. While a SM would defintiely have a handling advantage over a Spec-944, an IT-level of prep would level the playing field.

But, to continue to fuel the fires - the SM will definitely give access to a decidedly higher level of competition.

I would definitely not suggest that my DSR will be at quite the same prep level as the pro-built SM... it'll be close, but as was also pointed out, there'll be substantial labor costs not accounted for, not to mention sponsor involvement in the build. Trying to do it "over the counter" would easily add 10k or more to the tab. Buying a new front-runner DSR (Stohr or West), equivalent to the SM in build level, would be about $75k.

Just wanted to put out a comparitive point, what can be achieved with similar budget. But of course, the OP's goal is far better met with the SM.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:38 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see anyone arguing that the original poster overspent, or that he could have bought a fresh build of the same caliber for much less. My only point is that you don't need to spend that much to run front-of-pack at regionals or even nationals, despite what others implied. That really isn't any kind of statement on the original poster's purchase. As he pointed out, his extra money bought him peace of mind that he's not losing because of his car.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:03 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have done the same thing. Running spec Miata at the National level, which is what you are, in effect doing is relatively cheap. I have been watching/reading this thread carefully because it mirrors my own aspirations and thoughts racing in general and of Koni/Continental and continuing to develop as a driver. I ask again that you share your experiences with us on Rennlist and Godspeed!
Old 02-13-2010, 10:17 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck out there my friend
Old 02-13-2010, 01:09 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 69 Posts

It truned out great! Looks like it will be a lot of fun. Can't wait to see it.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:45 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
They just don't know what they don't know.....
I think you've done a great thing and wish you a lot of luck and happiness behind the wheel.
Thanks man. And you are so right.

Originally Posted by onefastviking
We spoke when you were selling the 996, glad you got into a good SM. Ignore the people that tell you otherwise about SM, they just havn't driven a good Spec Miata and seen the light. Miatas are wonderful race cars and great learning tools if all else. No one is saying you can't come back to a Porsche race car someday, although those 50 car Miata fields with close competition sure are a lot more fun than racing with 3 to 6 guys with varying talent and cars.

Good luck, have fun racing it, and keep us informed of your progress.
BTW - Texas isn't too far and Drago comes here on occasion so I'm sure he could trailer your car and you could do an arrive and drive. Let me know if you come out this way.
Thanks Viking. Still have the emails you sent me...they really helped in the decision making process. Good to know people "in the know".
Originally Posted by jakermc
Roger, congrats on the new ride!
I think the problem is that most people have not experienced the level of build that went into your car so they are confused about the build costs. Being the lucky owner of your old ride I know exactly what your new car looks like even though I have never seen it. Besides all the go fast parts, trick engineering, luxury items like data and video, the car will also be the best looking car on the grid. A $20K SM may be fast but it will not look, smell, and feel like it just left the showroom floor.
I think you got a very fair deal. My offer still stands to put you up at the Villa when you are ready to come run in TX.
Thanks Rob. I'm glad you are enjoying the baby cup. Even though I miss it, I know it has a good home. Keep us up to date on your race results. Not sure about TX this year though...I have my work cut out for me with this car. It really is a different animal.
Originally Posted by PedalFaster
As he pointed out, his extra money bought him peace of mind that he's not losing because of his car.
Thanks man...that was my whole point.
Originally Posted by disasterman
I would have done the same thing. Running spec Miata at the National level, which is what you are, in effect doing is relatively cheap. I have been watching/reading this thread carefully because it mirrors my own aspirations and thoughts racing in general and of Koni/Continental and continuing to develop as a driver. I ask again that you share your experiences with us on Rennlist and Godspeed!
Will do and thanks! Please do the same and Godspeed yourself!
Originally Posted by KRA993tt
Good luck out there my friend
Thanks Keith! Hope to see you out there at some NASA events.
Originally Posted by coryf
It truned out great! Looks like it will be a lot of fun. Can't wait to see it.
Ready for some enduros?

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com

Quick Reply: New Race Car