New Race Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Man, is there an "a-hole" magnet here somewhere?
Ha ha, this comment coming from a Jesus fan is more than a touch ironic.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:07 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cograts roger, i dont know how you fit in there...
Old 02-12-2010, 01:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,639 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
now that's funny!
no more protein shake!
Old 02-12-2010, 01:30 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good pickup. going to run the scca race next weekend at sebring (20-21)?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:35 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
ZBB -
I'm sorry if my words offended you and your car choice. That's the last thing I wanted to do. If I had the funds, I'd have a SM exactly like yours, same colors even.

When people started comparing the cost of SM with DSR racing, I thought someone needed to set the record straight.

Good luck with your racing, and please share your race results/experiences with us here.
Yeah, I'm sorry too man. I really have good intentions when I do posts. I figure it wouldn't be much of a sticker shock considering what we spend on porsche race cars. Looked like a bargain to me!
Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
If you want to do it right the first time around and not run a beatup 100K motor you'd be hard pressed to do it much under 20K, especially with a 99. Just the car and pro motor will put you over 10K. That doesn't include the Spec Miata required parts which at a minimum are about 2K IIRC. Plus safety equipment (seat belts, nets, etc.), plus redoing the things that should be done like calipers, suspension bushings, etc. Then add data and a radio. Don't forget things like a QD steering wheel. Oh and a pesky cage. 2-4K depending on how custom you want. This doesn't begin to add in the labor of building it.

Yes you can build a car for under 10K but there is no way it will be in top shape and it will need to be taken care of a LOT more than one that has new everything. It sucks to miss a day at the track because of something that you could have been proactive about and replaced.

As has been said it's always cheaper to buy than build. SM is no different but it sure is nice to know the life of everything on the car from the beginning.

My only beefs with Spec Miata are the fact that it isn't really spec and people go to the class expecting Spec and then realize that there are 'proprietary' things beyond setup. Right now they're going through a fiasco of what is 'tech shed legal'. It ain't legal but the tech shed can't prove it type attitude. It's sad but as a class gets more popular (like SM) that happens. If Spec Boxster keeps growing the same things will happen unless the rules get very well written which is tough if you don't have the ability to have a single supplier, sealed motors, and the infrastructure to maintain and test that equipment.

And the 35K DSR is at the extremely low end for car's nowadays and what Vaughn isn't taking into account I'm guessing is the cost of his labor. There were guys who spent more on that in motors for the Runoffs in years past.
See, I wished I had your knowledge to work with a car. I can drive ok, but the mechanical part is out of my league. But, in SM, I will have to learn more to be competitive. Worse thing is, I didn't want to do Drago any injustice. He is a great guy and I've enjoyed the process of building a car with him. He can do pretty much anything with a sm.
Originally Posted by mooty
i am on the same boat as you, rog, i dont like UGLY cars no matter how fast they are. i much rather drive a pretty and slow car than a fast ugly car. as agassi said once, image is EVERYTHING. i want to lose pretty not win ugly.
Yup. I don't want no ugly car. I get attached to them. I still miss my GTB car.
Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Ha ha, this comment coming from a Jesus fan is more than a touch ironic.
Yes Mark, even us Jesus freaks are human and sometimes people like you get under our skin. So shut up.
Originally Posted by jenk12m
We waded my old seat up and stuffed it in the car. Now I just have to run and dive in it.
Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
good pickup. going to run the scca race next weekend at sebring (20-21)?
I wished, but just getting the car and want to de it first. Doing the de at Roebling and then the national race at Roebling in March.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 02-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Yes Mark, even us Jesus freaks are human and sometimes people like you get under our skin. So shut up.
Ok and I agree everyone is human. Religion is superflous to behaviour. So just go ahead and tell me to STFU!
Old 02-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love Spec Miatas! I wanted to go that way as well, but they replace body panels faster then tires. So I went the ITB way instead.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:11 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I do wanna say this guys. Spec Miata for me was a natural progression. I really really love this sport and I love the competition. I've ran with 5-10 guys in my class in PCA and NASA and it was a blast. I did a spec miata race at Road Atlanta and there were 50+ cars, just in my class. The top ten were like within a second of each other...just ridiculous competition. A lot of pro drivers show up to run certain races as well. I don't know a better way to run with that many guys with such close competition, unless you do Koni, which is now Continental. Of course, the cost of just the ST class is huge. The only regret so far is that I don't have a pcar to run the local PCA races with my friends. (that may change if I see a screaming deal on a spec boxster) Now, it is an extreme longshot that I could do this a season and compete in the nationals with these guys. But, I always er on the posiitive side and if by the sheer possibility I gel with these cars and get good enough, I don't want to arrive with a car that is a few tenths off and I wind up in 10th place. I like to know that I have car that is capable of doing what the car in front of me can do...gives me the confidence of trying what they are trying and helps me bring my game up. That's why I put my trust in Autometrics for the pcar and Drago for the SM car.

This is not the only way to go. You can buy a used sm or build one yourself for much less, buy a cheaper seat, cheaper harnesses, cheaper video and radio, used rims instead of 3 sets of brand new ones, tires, etc. But, I work too much now to spend the time on sorting and making sure every inch of the car is as good as it can be. I want the best tool I can get and put my time into learning how to drive. I thought this post would help others that think like I do. That's all.

I have much respect for the guys that build their own cars. I really enjoy working on my car, even though my capabilities are very limited. But, at my age, that time is better spent in the seat. If I was younger, without kids, I would probably take a different route.

I look forward to seeing you guys at the track...please come up and say hello if you see me.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Ok and I agree everyone is human. Religion is superflous to behaviour. So just go ahead and tell me to STFU!
I'm doing this study right now Mark. You seem like a very intelligent guy. It would be awesome if you would give it a try and send me your thoughts. The course itself looks at all sides of the religion debate and the level of thinking blows me away.
http://www.thetruthproject.org/
I'm only in the 2nd week and it is really eye-opening and I've been on the Christian walk for years now. (always working on it) It is a unique blend of religion, philosophy, pragmatic thinking and science.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:49 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

You know what, at least you're excited about racing and you have gotten into an area that you're HOPING measures your skills against other drivers. Same reason I bought a 996 Cup and race it in the "spec" GTC3 class.

If other people have comments on what you spent, why you spent it, you should have done it this way, etc., who cares. The only thing that matters is when you're in the car going into turn 1 with 50 other SM's. I'm always amazed at how judgemental this board is regarding other people's money.

We've all overspent, underspent, saved on parts here and there and done stupid things. We've also done good things like it seems that you have with starting with a great car. People on here always feel the need to critique something when the original post wasn't asking for it. As an example, I've got a GT4S car that's for sale for less than half of what I've got in it. It's really amusing to have strangers come over, look at it, look at the price and say, "hell, I could build it for less than that." They just don't know what they don't know.....

I think you've done a great thing and wish you a lot of luck and happiness behind the wheel.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,553 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
You know what, at least you're excited about racing and you have gotten into an area that you're HOPING measures your skills against other drivers. Same reason I bought a 996 Cup and race it in the "spec" GTC3 class.

If other people have comments on what you spent, why you spent it, you should have done it this way, etc., who cares. The only thing that matters is when you're in the car going into turn 1 with 50 other SM's. I'm always amazed at how judgemental this board is regarding other people's money.

We've all overspent, underspent, saved on parts here and there and done stupid things. We've also done good things like it seems that you have with starting with a great car. People on here always feel the need to critique something when the original post wasn't asking for it. As an example, I've got a GT4S car that's for sale for less than half of what I've got in it. It's really amusing to have strangers come over, look at it, look at the price and say, "hell, I could build it for less than that." They just don't know what they don't know.....

I think you've done a great thing and wish you a lot of luck and happiness behind the wheel.

A big fat +1.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

The only regret so far is that I don't have a pcar to run the local PCA races with my friends. (that may change if I see a screaming deal on a spec boxster)
There are plenty of ready to race 944's out there for under $10K, why not grab one of them! Handling should be close to the Miata, will just keep you that much more in tune!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We spoke when you were selling the 996, glad you got into a good SM. Ignore the people that tell you otherwise about SM, they just havn't driven a good Spec Miata and seen the light. Miatas are wonderful race cars and great learning tools if all else. No one is saying you can't come back to a Porsche race car someday, although those 50 car Miata fields with close competition sure are a lot more fun than racing with 3 to 6 guys with varying talent and cars.

Good luck, have fun racing it, and keep us informed of your progress.
BTW - Texas isn't too far and Drago comes here on occasion so I'm sure he could trailer your car and you could do an arrive and drive. Let me know if you come out this way.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:12 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Handling should be close to the Miata, will just keep you that much more in tune!
Have you driven a good Spec Miata ?
I own both, and have for years, and as good as the 944 is, the Miata beats it hands down in the handling.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

Roger, congrats on the new ride!

I think the problem is that most people have not experienced the level of build that went into your car so they are confused about the build costs. Being the lucky owner of your old ride I know exactly what your new car looks like even though I have never seen it. Besides all the go fast parts, trick engineering, luxury items like data and video, the car will also be the best looking car on the grid. A $20K SM may be fast but it will not look, smell, and feel like it just left the showroom floor.

I think you got a very fair deal. My offer still stands to put you up at the Villa when you are ready to come run in TX.

Quick Reply: New Race Car