2010 Sebring Club Race: Video and Pics thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:54 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FredC
Who are you asking?
Fred, I thought I saw earlier that this was your first trip to Sebring. It's obvious from the video that you are a stud with that car. I was wondering if this was your maiden voyage at Sebring, because I was amazed at how you drove that track. If that was, in fact your first time on that track, I am truly amazed.

Do you have videos of some other races?
Old 02-12-2010, 03:32 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

It was indeed my first trip to Sebring. However, I had a data guru and some other racers helping find my way around. Helps a ton.

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Fred, I thought I saw earlier that this was your first trip to Sebring. It's obvious from the video that you are a stud with that car. I was wondering if this was your maiden voyage at Sebring, because I was amazed at how you drove that track. If that was, in fact your first time on that track, I am truly amazed.

Do you have videos of some other races?
Old 02-12-2010, 05:09 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Stay flat before 13, stay flat in Bishops bend, no short shift after 10. Good for 1-2 more seconds.
I think you are overstating the effect (and my telemetry exagerates the slight liftoff).
I tried all that (have Aim data and I'm overanalytical). Keeping floored at T13 vs what I did in that lap saved 0.05secs in that segment but left me a bit out of shape for the braking into the next corners.
On T10, the shortshift is just 200rpms, and the gear change just upsetted the car a bit too much that made go really wide in the long lefthand sweeper. Gave more speed but eaqual secotr time.
I think most of the time to improve still comes from more ***** in T17 and T1. Something to work on next year, but my sense is 1sec faster would be really ***** out.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:15 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It was indeed my first trip to Sebring. However, I had a data guru and some other racers helping find my way around. Helps a ton.
Freddy, just admit it......

You are a natural.......

BTW, I hope your motor is fine.......
Old 02-12-2010, 05:15 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed CGomez......indeed. Watching that car tossed around on the limit tells me that telemetry just helped him learn the track sooner.

It's such fun to watch the truly fast guys post video as it looks so much easier watching the car as opposed to being inside it.

Great vids!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:18 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Data guru well we know who wasn't there ..................

Lap record for the class ....... congrats
Old 02-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
I think you are overstating the effect (and my telemetry exagerates the slight liftoff).
I tried all that (have Aim data and I'm overanalytical). Keeping floored at T13 vs what I did in that lap saved 0.05secs in that segment but left me a bit out of shape for the braking into the next corners.
On T10, the shortshift is just 200rpms, and the gear change just upsetted the car a bit too much that made go really wide in the long lefthand sweeper. Gave more speed but eaqual secotr time.
I think most of the time to improve still comes from more ***** in T17 and T1. Something to work on next year, but my sense is 1sec faster would be really ***** out.
Sorry , didn't look at the data just listened to the sound in the vid. I know you can wheel from rd america. We parked next to you, I have the Believe 997 cup. Your friend sharing support with you from ny had a great talk.
Just sharing my thoughts, likely worth less than .02 ..
Best,
G
Old 02-12-2010, 05:41 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by analogmike
The Cayman is so much more relaxed, the 911SC is violent. Some of it may be driving style but it's really interesting to see how the more modern suspension and drivetrain changes the driving dynamics. I love my old 911 but if I had to choose, I think I might go Cayman.
Well its midengine; its perfect!! Seriously, I do believe and can see it in the telemetry that the car is faster when handled neutrally. Actually for the fastest times (quali not race) I do prefer a slight hint of entry understeer that allows me to go full thrttle a bit earlier to make it neutral. If you wrestle the car a bit (like I also do in the GT2) it won't be as fast through the corners.

Also, bear in mind that the shocks are really good (Motons Doubles) and we (Spence's magic hand) have been able to nail the setup very quicly at most tracks.

All factors being equal (weight, power) the Cayman/boxster is the car to choose. However for H class I think the killer is the 99 996 as it can weight 60lbs less per the rules and its easy to get it there while we are struggling with the Cayman being at least 70lbs above min weight (so 120+ total than the 996).
Old 02-12-2010, 06:09 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
All factors being equal (weight, power) the Cayman/boxster is the car to choose. However for H class I think the killer is the 99 996 as it can weight 60lbs less per the rules and its easy to get it there while we are struggling with the Cayman being at least 70lbs above min weight (so 120+ total than the 996).
Interesting. I have been looking at racing H in my RSA and have been looking at the cars and thought the Cayman was considered the class killer. Not sure what the actual rwhp is for Caymans though once they lose cats w/ headers. I think in the end most of the H class cars wind up being in the neighborhood of 11-11.25 lbs/hp (?) like GTS3 (actual rwhp to weight, not pca hp). Actually I think the 964 Euro Cup has the best actual power/weight in H from what I have seen, but not sure. Not seeing too many 964 Cups lately in the results though and would think all 964s are at a disadvantage w/ worse aero and 5 speeds (w/ big gap between the gears except the Cup 2/3).

Last edited by forklift; 02-12-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:47 PM
mji911
Instructor

Andy, Do you have a clip of myspin in turn 1 Sprint race 2. It was great racing with you as we mentioned " Just like old times"

Mike
Old 02-12-2010, 07:52 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mji911
Andy, Do you have a clip of myspin in turn 1 Sprint race 2. It was great racing with you as we mentioned " Just like old times"

Mike
Mike, what's with the chick car?.......

Congrats on your win........
Old 02-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

He was getting in touch with his Feminine side...
Old 02-12-2010, 09:08 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forklift
Interesting. I have been looking at racing H in my RSA and have been looking at the cars and thought the Cayman was considered the class killer. Not sure what the actual rwhp is for Caymans though once they lose cats w/ headers. I think in the end most of the H class cars wind up being in the neighborhood of 11-11.25 lbs/hp (?) like GTS3 (actual rwhp to weight, not pca hp). Actually I think the 964 Euro Cup has the best actual power/weight in H from what I have seen, but not sure. Not seeing too many 964 Cups lately in the results though and would think all 964s are at a disadvantage w/ worse aero and 5 speeds (w/ big gap between the gears except the Cup 2/3).
I agree that in theory the 964 Cup seems the one to have but havent seen many well prepped around. Also, at the US Tracks we run, Speed is relatively HIGH ( several 90mph+ turns and longish strtaights). Therefore High Speed performance counts a lot, and there absolute HP and aerodynamics matter more than HP/weight only. Old (pre 996/986) Porsches are "bricks", and the Cayman has the lowest frontal area and sleekest body of them all. A lot of people think the Cayman engines have more HP than the 996 3.4, but the slightly high(er) speed of the Cayman at the end of straights is all due to better aero (Our tracks are regularly 90mph +/- avg speeds). High speed inability is the main reason why I ditched tracking my Lotus (only truly fast relatively on really tight tracks like Pocono East)

One more factor in favor of the 3.4 996 is the ability to use the BIG wing of the factory aero package. Downforce matters a lot at most of our tracks. I have a big Wing in my car that puts me in I Prepared. The car is 2 secs+ faster around Daytona! despite the extra drag and 1sec+ fasteer at LRP just due to the Wing.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Right on about Aero issue, rear wing is must on a cayman to go fast.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:27 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mji911

Mike
Mike thanks for the amazing advice on how to find seconds on that track. You're truly an ace! Congrats on winning a spbox race and gtc3 race on the same day. That's a record that should stand the test of time. Now... Will you commit to spbox more permanently?

Nice seeing you down there. See you soon.

Quick Reply: 2010 Sebring Club Race: Video and Pics thread