Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Sebring Club Race: Video and Pics thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally, my good friend AC (from Axisofoverteer.com) was able to render the Enduro video (P65 to P3 in 18 laps... until DNF...)

http://vimeo.com/9590049

and my full recount of another amazing PCA race weekend at a great track:

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...g-monster.html
Old 02-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cgomez,

What dreadfully slow class did they grid you with? For heaven sacks, a PCA race shouldn't be that one sided unless you are in the back of the pack when you should have qualified First.?.

On a separate topic, were you and your cayman down at PBOC's Winterfest? or was that another cayman race car?

Don't mean to be negative toward you, its just not the close PCA racing I would have expected. Even though I have a sweet spot in my heart for mid-engined Porsche's....
Old 02-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

That car is what a "Caymen Cup" would be if one existed. I used to watch my friend Joel (the original builder) fly that thing around the track and it outclassed everything around it. It was obvious in just the way it cornered it was waaaaaay ahead of it's competition. Not to say cgomez isn't a good driver, but that car set records every time it ran...
Old 02-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Brinkley
Pro

Gary, that said, shouldn't it be classed with similar 3.4L 986/996 motors in PCA's new HP/Liter calculation schedule?

Believe me when I say I understand how fast a mid-engined platform can be and how easy it is to drive fast. But, not knowing the ins-and-outs of PCA car classes, I would have thought it would have been classed more competitively.

In fact it might have been. The video might have been from a grid position as I suggested, in the back of a run group that he should have qualified up from in.

But then again, what do I know....other than to not run in a "stock" PCA class!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 01:39 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brinkley
cgomez,

What dreadfully slow class did they grid you with? For heaven sacks, a PCA race shouldn't be that one sided unless you are in the back of the pack when you should have qualified First.?.

On a separate topic, were you and your cayman down at PBOC's Winterfest? or was that another cayman race car?

Don't mean to be negative toward you, its just not the close PCA racing I would have expected. Even though I have a sweet spot in my heart for mid-engined Porsche's....
Well, what you see its the typical grid split of a PCA Enduro Race. Laptime difference between faster and slower class is around 12secs. In this case, H Sotck (my class), GTC1 and GT5 were the faster classes. Usually it is not a big issue, as in a track like Sebring it will take you at least 12 laps to LAP the faster cars in the slower classes (slower drivers you get them sooner).
The big problem here (if you read my prior posts or writeup) is that timing screwed up and didn't give me a grid spot (that should have probably been P1 or P2) and forced me to start from the back (P65), which made for an "interesting" race (unnecessarily, IMO, if they had just posted the grid on time and realized their mistake).

The cars that run at HSR and PBOC are the Cayman Interseries (not mine) which have 30hp (DFI engine) more and run about 200lbs lighter with a lot more downforce force from the big rear wing (my car should be 2-3secs faster around Sebring just with the wing, from what I can tell from prior tests).

Although I swear by the midengine platform (Have been running Lotus for 5 years+), as I stated in prior posts I think the car to have in H Stock is the 3.4 996 with the factory aeropack. That car (same engine and HP as Cayman) can run 60lbs lighter than the Cayman with more downforce. Also, from what Ive seen at the scales in impound it can run very close to min weight (3060lbs?), while my car (with no further obvious weight reductions possible/legal) is around 80lbs overweight (I'm 190lbs, so if you are a 110lbs jockey then you are fine). Had some good races against 996s last year (check the Sprint video and you can see the car is dead even on the straights with the 3.4 996). But, if all other factors are equal (Power, weight and Aero) midengine ALWAYS rules.

All I can say is the cars are now affordable to get (used 06) and cost the same $ to develop as any 911 (996 or 997). In fact, there's one just exactly like mine for sale (PM me and I will put you in touch), so please anyone come and race H Stock (or I in the 09s) in a Cayman. I'm more than eager to face more competition. There were 5 other Caymans at Sebring so it's getting better (Spec Boxster with some more power and better aerodynamics).

Last edited by cgomez; 02-20-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Just a friendly suggestion, but you should have gotten off the track a lot sooner than you did once you realized you had no power.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:11 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

CGomez: Nice driving. I love the sound of the car. Tempting though still way much $$$ for me.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:17 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dave morris
Just a friendly suggestion, but you should have gotten off the track a lot sooner than you did once you realized you had no power.
I did have power. It was the shifter cable that failed, and I was almost able to engage a gear so kept trying while looking in my mirror to keep out of the way. Tried for 20seconds and once I made it thru T13 I saw the easiest way not to cause any yellows was to roll the 60yds into the infield.
I hope it didnt show as a selfish move or got in the way of someone's race (Dont see where in the video looking at both cameras). It's a judgement call as everything else in racing.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Brinkley
Pro

cgomez,

"The cars that run at HSR and PBOC are the Cayman Interseries (not mine) which have 30hp (DFI engine) more and run about 200lbs lighter with a lot more downforce force from the big rear wing (my car should be 2-3secs faster around Sebring just with the wing, from what I can tell from prior tests)."

So you're saying that the Interseries cars have 30 more HP and 200lbs less but your car would be 2-3 secs faster around Sebring. how? Due to the extra drag of the interseries wing??

Anyway great race, great sound, and I really like your incar dual camera set up. Which brand of cameras are you using a what software are you using to overlay them?
Old 02-20-2010, 01:29 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brinkley
cgomez,

"The cars that run at HSR and PBOC are the Cayman Interseries (not mine) which have 30hp (DFI engine) more and run about 200lbs lighter with a lot more downforce force from the big rear wing (my car should be 2-3secs faster around Sebring just with the wing, from what I can tell from prior tests)."

So you're saying that the Interseries cars have 30 more HP and 200lbs less but your car would be 2-3 secs faster around Sebring. how? Due to the extra drag of the interseries wing??

Anyway great race, great sound, and I really like your incar dual camera set up. Which brand of cameras are you using a what software are you using to overlay them?
Nope, I'm saying that MY car is 2-3secs a lap quicker (on a 2:30min track aprox like Sebring) with a BIG wing (2.1secs faster at Daytona; and 1.1sec faster at LimeRock; same driver, same tires, same conditions).
Therefore, I just guess that the Interseries Cars should be EVEN FASTER than that (just sub 2:20 at Sebring? sounds about right as just happens to be the GTB track record, which is the class in which those cars should run: Agains GrandAm 997s)
Old 02-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Brinkley
Pro

I see, I see. Now I understand.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:44 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Just got my pics from Colour Tech South. I didn't realize while driving the car how wide the field can become at the start of race at Sebring...

1st pic is black enduro, 2nd pic is orange sprint 1.
Attached Images   
Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Is dat Juanito trying to sneak up the inside .... Jack must have been holding his breath ...

Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

VERY cool avatar pic Fred, post the full size one!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Is dat Juanito trying to sneak up the inside .... Jack must have been holding his breath ...
He he 4 laps later, I was ahead of everyone (for the balance of the race ).

Quick Reply: 2010 Sebring Club Race: Video and Pics thread