Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA National Instructor Cert or not??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:32 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default PCA National Instructor Cert or not??

Alright, I've been instructing for 3-4 years now, usually with the PCA & Chin. I'm trying to plan which events I want to do this year. One is hosting the National Instructor certification program on one of it's 3-days. I have not gone though the program and was wondering if it was worth it. Money is tight and track time precious, so the course fee could be applied to another event if I pass it by. That being said, it's a good opportunity to take it, as it's being offered at my home track. Thoughts?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 AM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Take the course. Even after instructing for many years and serving as CDI for 2 regions I found the discussion worthwhile and good reminders of things we should all be doing.

Additionally, if you want to travel and instruct elsewhere, the successful completion of the program gives you some credibility.
Joe
Old 02-08-2010, 09:11 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

+1
Old 02-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Take the course. Some regions are requiring it and a refresher never hurts.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I signed up to do this as well at the end of the month thinking that I would like to be able to travel out of the region to instruct in the future. Got an email on Saturday from the organizer and they have me listed as a "Qualified Mentor", not "Qualified Candidate". Guess I need to call today to find out what's going on. I've been involved with mentoring potential instructors with BMWCCA but not PCA.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 AM
JR944
Pro

No worries Tim. All that means is that you'll be working with a less experienced instructor or instructor candidate during the on-track sessions. You will role play, playing the role of the student while the other person attempts to "instruct" you. You can have a lot of fun with this playing the role of the student who makes every mistake you've ever seen!

IMO, this doesn't change the value of the day for you at all. I've participated in the training twice and led it twice, always as the "mentor".

Hope all is well,

Joe
Old 02-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JR944
No worries Tim. All that means is that you'll be working with a less experienced instructor or instructor candidate during the on-track sessions. You will role play, playing the role of the student while the other person attempts to "instruct" you. You can have a lot of fun with this playing the role of the student who makes every mistake you've ever seen!

IMO, this doesn't change the value of the day for you at all. I've participated in the training twice and led it twice, always as the "mentor".

Hope all is well,

Joe
Thanks Joe. I've done this for BMWCCA, just not PCA. A friend, who is also on the "Mentor" list, called and found out that it is the Mentors that will receive PCA National Certification if they pass, the Qualified Students will be advanced to "Instructor" status if they pass.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Well worth it especially if Pete will be running the show.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:27 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Thanks Joe. I've done this for BMWCCA, just not PCA. A friend, who is also on the "Mentor" list, called and found out that it is the Mentors that will receive PCA National Certification if they pass, the Qualified Students will be advanced to "Instructor" status if they pass.
That makes no sense. Nobody gets "certified". By taking and passing he course you are added to the list of "nationally trained" instructors.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sbelles
That makes no sense. Nobody gets "certified". By taking and passing he course you are added to the list of "nationally trained" instructors.
Don't know, I did not talk to the person myself, just got the info second hand from my friend who is also taking the course.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:44 AM
JR944
Pro

Originally Posted by sbelles
Correct. I also question what your friend heard. I beleive the mentors are generally accepted as capable instructors and will automatically successfully "pass" the course. Others must successfully complete a check ride and are graded by someone other than the mentor they work with during the rest of the day. I hope that makes sense.

Pete and Joe are very clear in their presentations that this is not a "PCA Certification". I often chuckle at folks who list this "certification" on their RL signatures.

Last edited by JR944; 02-09-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

More education never hurt anyone - you may pick something useful up going through the course and mentoring. PCA National is pretty much a benchmark program...
Old 02-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The class is well worth the time. At the certification we hosted last year, whether you were a Mentor or Student, you became certified at the end of the class if you passed. Our region is working on bringing a continuing education style one day class to the track this year.

I often chuckle at folks who list this "certification" on theiir RL signatures.
Chuckle away !

Regards,

Ken
Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RonCT
PCA National is pretty much a benchmark program...
I would not discount what BMWCCA is now doing. Last year at Barber I acted as a mentor for instructor candidates. The school was two days and had 6 or 7 class sessions and 8 on-track sessions with the candidates. On Sunday afternoon the candidates were evaluated on track by a different mentor for their instructing ability and ability to drive at the instructor level. There was then a 1.5 hr debrief of the mentors where we discussed each candidate and decided whether they passed or failed. Not everyone passed.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:20 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Lemming has the "who gets what" wrong, but it's worthwhile either as a refresher or to help as a mentor.

Pete T can chime in should he care, but the current vocabulary is nationally trained. If you act as a mentor or novice instructor, and participate with enthusiasm and reasonable skill, you get a PCA registry number showing you've completed the national training.

Quick Reply: PCA National Instructor Cert or not??