Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S model for NASA GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes but keep in mind that getting that light requires some lexan and CF pieces of which jr and I have.

Originally Posted by mglobe
My 996 needs to go on a diet.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:08 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Yes but keep in mind that getting that light requires some lexan and CF pieces of which jr and I have.
Thanks, I feel better. I'm not going CF.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:34 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I can get my 996 as light as 2625 w/driver for POC and PCA's GT3, 2740 for NASA's GTS3 class, and up to 2850 for the 996 Spec class. For the Spec class I have to change FRP doors & hood with OEM steel which takes about 30 minutes, add a second seat, fill a 24 qt. Cool Shirt cooler, and fill up the tank.....
How the hell do you do that? I'm throwing the bull**** flag.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

Viking - thanks for the pm

I crossed the scales in Houston at 2865 with me in the seat, my gas light on, and my EMPTY 24 qt. Cool Shirt box in the trunk. If you take me out, empty the tank completely, and remove the cool box the car is probably down to about 2,690. Viking looked my car over and most of the potential reductions from here are ounces at a time. 2,675 may be as low as I get without CF fenders (already have cf doors and hood, Lexan everywhere but the rear qtr windows). I would then have to add about 25-30 lbs back in for a full cool box as I am not running without it, the 38 degree temps in Houston were an exception!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:16 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

It can be done, the last few 100-150 lbs is the hardest and you will be looking for a quarter pound here, quarter pound there, but it is very realistic.

Originally Posted by Darren
Old 02-18-2010, 10:18 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

We still run a steel OEM 996 hood. I need to find a deal on a CF one.

Originally Posted by jakermc
Viking - thanks for the pm

I crossed the scales in Houston at 2865 with me in the seat, my gas light on, and my EMPTY 24 qt. Cool Shirt box in the trunk. If you take me out, empty the tank completely, and remove the cool box the car is probably down to about 2,690. Viking looked my car over and most of the potential reductions from here are ounces at a time. 2,675 may be as low as I get without CF fenders (already have cf doors and hood, Lexan everywhere but the rear qtr windows). I would then have to add about 25-30 lbs back in for a full cool box as I am not running without it, the 38 degree temps in Houston were an exception!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren
Yea I didn't think I could get there either. First off remember the 99'-01' 3.4 cars are almost 60 lbs. lighter than the 3.6 cars. Can't be the motor but don't know what....

I weighed 2690, without the low fuel light on, last weekend with me (160) and gear in the car. I still had OEM steel doors on the car and full dash & cluster. I currently have a CF hood, Lexan front & rear but glass 1/4 windows, GT3 steel roof panel, steel fenders, complete wiring harnesses, and full headlights.

My new CF doors should drop 20lbs. off each side when they get here, gutted headlights about 7 lbs. each, and dash removal about 30 lbs. That's optomistically another 84 lbs taking me to 2600 w/driver, about 2440 empty. So you're right, I was off by a few lbs.....

I'm going to run ST2 this year with NASA as there's no one to race against in GTS4 in So Cal. I plan on adding back weight to run GTS3 against the Jay/Viking team at Miller.

FWIW, another racer/builder showed up last weekend in his just built 99' 3.4 with pretty much all CF body panels, dash, gutted harness, and some other tricks he wouldn't disclose. The car weighed over 100 lbs. less than mine-honest....
Old 02-18-2010, 08:23 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JR, what does your car dyno at for NASA? Do you run a chip or stock setup?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Yea I didn't think I could get there either. First off remember the 99'-01' 3.4 cars are almost 60 lbs. lighter than the 3.6 cars. Can't be the motor but don't know what....

It's in the chassis, a few add on things and then Porsche used more and heavier steel as the car progressed thru the years. A little can be removed but most is actually built into the pan structure.

We havn't removed extra wiring and such, no real need since we are currently having to run ballast anyway.

Looking forward to running Miller with you !
Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
JR, what does your car dyno at for NASA? Do you run a chip or stock setup?
I was protested by some BMW guys at Buttonwillow last Dec. after I won the race on Saturday. There's a shop at the track with a Dynojet 248. I was weighed at 2790 and dyno'd at 249rwhp/219 torque with a smoothing factor of 4. The also dyno'd my friend Vali's 3.4 and he shot 255 rwhp, and 220 torque IIRC. He dyno'd at 253 at Miller in the Nationals....

I have since just had the car flashed by GIAC's using their 93 octane flash but without raising the rev limiter. I will take the car back to the same dyno sometime soon just to see the difference if any. I will also test the stock manifolds against the 3.6 X51 headers. I really don't expect to gain more than 10 hp or so....
Old 06-04-2012, 02:36 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to bring up and old thread, but was wondering if there have been any successful NASA GTS3 Boxster S cars out there? Seem like it would be a great car for the class and the car counts are really great here in the rust belt...
Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clubracer6
Sorry to bring up and old thread, but was wondering if there have been any successful NASA GTS3 Boxster S cars out there? Seem like it would be a great car for the class and the car counts are really great here in the rust belt...
i do not think they are that competitive in GTS3 unless you do a bit of modifications. If you want to run with PCA in the stock F class as most of the Boxster S' do here in the Northeast then it doenst make much sense to run NASA GTS3. Too much weight, not enough horsepower.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:30 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dougdep
i do not think they are that competitive in GTS3 unless you do a bit of modifications. If you want to run with PCA in the stock F class as most of the Boxster S' do here in the Northeast then it doenst make much sense to run NASA GTS3. Too much weight, not enough horsepower.
Thanks, I would like to stick with NASA.

Shame as it seems the Boxster S would be a great car for that class.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:01 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clubracer6
Thanks, I would like to stick with NASA.

Shame as it seems the Boxster S would be a great car for that class.
Boxster S is a great car for sure. If you are only planning on doing NASA then go ahead and do some mods. You can lose quite a bit of weight and even run slicks I believe. With NASA I believe it is purely horsepower to weight ratio where as in PCA there are a million different rules for each of the classes and if modifications are made in anyway then that changes your class. I love my Boxster but the way it is currently set up it fits best in the PCA stock "F" class. I can still do NASA events in GTS3 but it would be pretty tough to consistently podium as there are some fast cars in that class!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

There are a couple of fast Boxsters in the POC GT4 class, which has nearly identical rules to NASA GTS3. I don't know much about the mods they have, I know one is a 3.2 w/ 6 speed and Guard LSD, another has rear fender flares and a big wing, I believe both are running Yoko slicks in cup sizes. Both are fully gutted and caged racecars with mods well beyond Boxster spec or PCA letter class rules. One was for sale a while back for $48k.

Quick Reply: Boxster S model for NASA GTS