Sponsored by:

Boxster S model for NASA GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lemming,

I run in R3 in PBOC and feel confident that it is classified correctly.

Remember the word in the example was hypothetical calculations
Old 02-13-2010, 02:45 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by Streak
Brinkley,

Don't rely on one dyno shop. I used the closest approved dyno shop to me and they had my stock, I do really mean stock even the stock chip, 911 at one hp less than the crank. Now the Germans are good but to lose only 1 hp from crank to wheel is a bit of a feat even for them.

This place catered to the tuner crowd so I truly suspect he had it calibrated to make the tuners feel good after he sold them some go fast bolt ons.

I was in a real predicament because I was about to bolt in 135 pounds to make GTS2 or go GTS 3. Everyone I asked said that something was amiss and I went to another shop and got a reading much more consistent with real life.
Depending on the event, sometimes I'll even get a dyno done there just in case. One time at MidOhio, their onsite dyno read me 10 high! At an event like Nationals, Id do it for sure. Just be prepared that the dyno might vary by 5-10rwhp between events or operators and conditions.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Brinkley
Lemming,

I run in R3 in PBOC and feel confident that it is classified correctly.

Remember the word in the example was hypothetical calculations
Cool, add the ballast and come race with us
Old 02-16-2010, 12:01 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

I have a Stock PCA "F" class 2003 Boxster S. I have to run it in NASA GTS3. The problem with this is that I run up against much faster Porsches in that class. I was racing against H and I class cars. In order to be compliant with PCA I can not be less than 3000lbs. But, I can shed at least 200lbs from my car and still be compliant with GTS3 class with NASA. Like Brian said, you could run slicks if you are a certain amount overweight in NASA.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:07 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dougdep
I have a Stock PCA "F" class 2003 Boxster S. I have to run it in NASA GTS3. The problem with this is that I run up against much faster Porsches in that class. I was racing against H and I class cars. In order to be compliant with PCA I can not be less than 3000lbs. But, I can shed at least 200lbs from my car and still be compliant with GTS3 class with NASA. Like Brian said, you could run slicks if you are a certain amount overweight in NASA.
How easy would it be for you to remove the additional weight for a NASA weekend and then reinstall it for PCA?
Have you installed an Accusump? Can you in a stock PCA class?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:09 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah running lightweight and all the hp I can out of the little 3.2 would seem to be a good fit into GTS3. Of course I have always enjoyed doing things a little different and running the Box in GTS2 sure would be entertaining.

On your car could you make it lighter for NASA and then just add ballast for PCA ?

On another note, what size tires and wheels do you run on your Boxster ? Is it class limited or can you run as big as you want ? Thank you for your input.

Originally Posted by dougdep
Old 02-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Brinkley
Pro

viking,
I don't think you were asking me, however, I think your mind set and mine is about the same. Make the car absolutely as light as humanly possible and make as much HP as your budget will allow and run in whatever class the group wants to put you in. The platform seems easy to drive at a high rate of speed.

Regarding tires that will fit, without rules in the way, I'm running 315 (r) and 245(f) Hoosier R6.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:51 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brinkley
viking,
I don't think you were asking me, however, I think your mind set and mine is about the same. Make the car absolutely as light as humanly possible and make as much HP as your budget will allow and run in whatever class the group wants to put you in. The platform seems easy to drive at a high rate of speed.

Regarding tires that will fit, without rules in the way, I'm running 315 (r) and 245(f) Hoosier R6.

No thats great. I agree on the lightweight and big hp, the problem with this one is that we already run a moderately fast 996 in GTS3 and I'd rather have the team not competing against each other especially at a National level. So that leaves me either bumping the GTS3 996 car to 4 so the Boxster can go into GTS3, or leave the 996 in 3 and putting the Boxster in GTS2 or GTS4. Decisions decisions .....

Thanks for your tire specs, I was wondering if I could fit a 315 in the rear, glad to hear I have that option. I think I already know how big I can go in the front.
Lots of work still left to do on the car but I am very happy with the progress so far.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:01 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
we already run a moderately fast 996 in GTS3
Isn't that like saying Shaq is kind of tall and Jenna Jameson lost her virginity?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:54 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

From where I sit in the stands Shaq looks short, and Jenna HAD to be a virgin once. It's all perspective, I think I am still leaving some time on the table with the car. Watch it get even faster this year.

Originally Posted by jakermc
Isn't that like saying Shaq is kind of tall and Jenna Jameson lost her virginity?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 AM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
How easy would it be for you to remove the additional weight for a NASA weekend and then reinstall it for PCA?
Have you installed an Accusump? Can you in a stock PCA class?
i could take the passenger seat out (which is required by PCA) and even remove the hard top to shed at least 100 lbs i would think.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:11 AM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

Yeah running lightweight and all the hp I can out of the little 3.2 would seem to be a good fit into GTS3. Of course I have always enjoyed doing things a little different and running the Box in GTS2 sure would be entertaining.

On your car could you make it lighter for NASA and then just add ballast for PCA ?

On another note, what size tires and wheels do you run on your Boxster ? Is it class limited or can you run as big as you want ? Thank you for your input.
i have 18 inch CCW wheels with Hoosier R6 tires. front: 245/35 r18
rear: 275/35 r18.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:49 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can get my 996 as light as 2625 w/driver for POC and PCA's GT3, 2740 for NASA's GTS3 class, and up to 2850 for the 996 Spec class. For the Spec class I have to change FRP doors & hood with OEM steel which takes about 30 minutes, add a second seat, fill a 24 qt. Cool Shirt cooler, and fill up the tank.....
Old 02-17-2010, 11:33 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

That 2625# seems like it's pretty much in the ballpark for a 3.6L 996 also.

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I can get my 996 as light as 2625 w/driver for POC and PCA's GT3, 2740 for NASA's GTS3 class, and up to 2850 for the 996 Spec class. For the Spec class I have to change FRP doors & hood with OEM steel which takes about 30 minutes, add a second seat, fill a 24 qt. Cool Shirt cooler, and fill up the tank.....
Old 02-17-2010, 11:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

That 2625# seems like it's pretty much in the ballpark for a 3.6L 996 also.
My 996 needs to go on a diet.

Quick Reply: Boxster S model for NASA GTS