6-Point Harness Belt Help Needed....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
OK, lets stop right there. You should do a search on seat belt mountings in this forum, as it has been discussed over and over, but I will repeat what directly applies here. You cannot use racing belts with stock seats. They do not have the holes in them (both in the seat pad AND in the seat back) to properly locate and retain the belts on your body in the event of anything but a head-on impact. It has been documented that the belts will come off of your shoulders when used on stock seats. In fact, in many clubs events (and just about every PCA region I know of) using racing belts with stock seats is not allowed.

I am our region's Technical chair and also help with safety inspections. If you don't have an experienced racer or long term DE driver to advise you, PM me with your phone number and I will get you pointed in the right direction.
Originally Posted by Scootin159
Another point that should be mentioned that I haven't seen anyone point out yet:

That harness bar looks to be intended to be a harness GUIDE bar - that means that the belts are run over the bar (or rather through the holes in the bar) for proper positioning, but the ends of the belts should NOT be anchored to it. You'll need to anchor the belts to a strong point in the rear seat area (a roll cage, or rear seat belt anchors).
+1 on both. I really don't like 6 point harnesses without a roll bar or cage.

Quick Reply: 6-Point Harness Belt Help Needed....