Sponsored by:

6-Point Harness Belt Help Needed....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts
Default 6-Point Harness Belt Help Needed....

I met up with a prior owner of the 993 Turbo I bought from d-land and got a Brey-Krause Harness Mount Bar R-1010 and 6-point Deist harness belts from him.

I got the harness bar installed without issue. The belts are something different.
I figured out the lap and harness belts. However, I can’t figure out the anti submarine belts. The anti submarine belts also have the buckle that the harness belts and lap belts fit into so they have to be used. Don’t they?

Thanks…..

Last edited by Chuck W.; 01-28-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it is integral to the system. You need 2 clips to fasten the sub belt to eye bolts securely mounted below the seat. Route it up through the hole in your racing seat. BTW what you have there is actually 6 point harnesses as they mount to 6 places.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:42 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Yes, it is integral to the system. You need 2 clips to fasten the sub belt to eye bolts securely mounted below the seat. Route it up through the hole in your racing seat. BTW what you have there is actually 6 point harnesses as they mount to 6 places.
Thanks Larry, I changed the posting to read 6 instead of 5. I have the OEM sports seat, so no hole in seat. When you say to mount below the seat, what am I attaching to? Do I fasten to the pan by drilling a hole in it and attach an I-bolt or do I attach to the seat bolts?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:55 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u need a seat that's built with a crotch hole.

typically u attach to eye bolt or some frame structure. fastening to the floor pan...i believe it's legal but not necessarily safe.

i thought i remembered there was a 911 seat bracket that had a cross beam for the subbelt...
Old 01-28-2010, 01:24 AM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krystar
u need a seat that's built with a crotch hole.

typically u attach to eye bolt or some frame structure. fastening to the floor pan...i believe it's legal but not necessarily safe.

i thought i remembered there was a 911 seat bracket that had a cross beam for the subbelt...
This Brey Kraus "crotch belt bracket" bolts across the existing seat riser. Fits 911, 964, 993. Works well to avoid drilling thru tub.

Last edited by sig_a; 05-29-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Thanks Larry, I changed the posting to read 6 instead of 5. I have the OEM sports seat, so no hole in seat. When you say to mount below the seat, what am I attaching to?
OK, lets stop right there. You should do a search on seat belt mountings in this forum, as it has been discussed over and over, but I will repeat what directly applies here. You cannot use racing belts with stock seats. They do not have the holes in them (both in the seat pad AND in the seat back) to properly locate and retain the belts on your body in the event of anything but a head-on impact. It has been documented that the belts will come off of your shoulders when used on stock seats. In fact, in many clubs events (and just about every PCA region I know of) using racing belts with stock seats is not allowed.

I am our region's Technical chair and also help with safety inspections. If you don't have an experienced racer or long term DE driver to advise you, PM me with your phone number and I will get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Another point that should be mentioned that I haven't seen anyone point out yet:

That harness bar looks to be intended to be a harness GUIDE bar - that means that the belts are run over the bar (or rather through the holes in the bar) for proper positioning, but the ends of the belts should NOT be anchored to it. You'll need to anchor the belts to a strong point in the rear seat area (a roll cage, or rear seat belt anchors).
Old 01-28-2010, 11:01 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Please listen to Larry H even if you don't plan to track the car. He typeth good gospel. I was a Tech Chair as well and the setup you discribe will not pass for PCA track events.

Yes, that looks like a guide bar and the belts you have in hand look to be too short. If it is a guide bar it is not intended to have the belts mounted to it only over it and down to the back seat belt points.

As it is you have a bar that does not work with the belts and a seat that does not work with the belts. You need to change the seat and the belts or the seat and the bar to the B/K Truss or to a bolt in roll bar.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Also, since it sounds like you are new to DE's - most PCA (if not all) events require EQUAL restraints for both the driver and passenger. Installing 6 point harnesses will mean you need proper seats and harnesses for both sides. Those Deist belts look like my original 2005 belts, what is the date on them as they may be expired (meaning you won't be allowed to run some places)..
Old 01-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I'll take a closer look at them tonight. At this time I only plan on auto crossing. DE is an option in the future. This may not be worth pursuing.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:25 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 172 Likes on 98 Posts

look up 6pt parachute style of mounting. Not ideal but it works.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default CG Lock

You are safer using your stock seatbelts versus incorrectly installing harnesses.

A quick fix for autocross is a CG Lock. It locks the lapbelt in place and keeps your butt planted in the seat. Approved by SCCA for autocross.

We have one left in stock (currently on backorder with CG lock) if interested.

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-912.htm

I've had folks at the track doing laps with their stock belt and installed a CG lock. Said it helped immensely where they didn't have to use their legs to brace themselves in the seat through the corners.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook

Last edited by ApexPerformance; 01-29-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: add link for cg lock
Old 01-29-2010, 12:54 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Concur with everything said above. That said, can you believe what we used to let people out there with in the '80's and '90's? Safety has come a LONG WAY in a short amount of time.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Many thanks again for all of the advice. Based on the information in this thread, and some additional searching on Rennlist, I will not be using this set up. The belts are too old; I have the wrong seats plus a few other issues. This was my first posting on the Rennlist Performance & Competition Discussion Areas, Racing & Drivers Education Forum. Thanks for the advice to newbie to this section.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:44 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

What is the part number for the aforementioned crotch part? I just drilled my tub (well, last season)

Quick Reply: 6-Point Harness Belt Help Needed....