Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default real story here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJTyn...eature=related
Old 02-18-2010, 12:10 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

This really does not look good at all. With Virgin and Lotus already testing credible (although initially slow) cars, it certainly seems that it was technically possible to bring a new car and team to fruition for the start of 2010.

I don’t hold a great deal of optimism out for USF1 in 2011. In a sport that does not tolerate failure at all, this will be seen as an abject failure, especially after months of assurances from PW that the team will be on the grid in Bahrain. Because of that, it will be VASTLY more difficult to attract good people and sponsors for a second kick-at-the-can in 2011.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Of course not but the whole attitude they had, that it was going to be "all US", "by making it in Charlotte, they can do it cheaper & better", "we don't need outside help" etc. IMO was a wrong attitude and showed arrogance.
No those weren't the wrong attitudes. I think those were good. The same outcome would have happened if they had been in Europe doing as everyone else. They've apparently run out of money and that's what has killed them. Money makes things happen in F1 and nothing has happened.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
No those weren't the wrong attitudes. I think those were good. The same outcome would have happened if they had been in Europe doing as everyone else. They've apparently run out of money and that's what has killed them. Money makes things happen in F1 and nothing has happened.
I don't think the attitude" "we don't need outside help" etc. etc. is a good thing. When you think you know it all, it's a sure sign you don't.
Maybe that attitude is one of the reasons not enough money wasn't coming in...?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I disagree that the attitude" "we don't need outside help" etc. etc. is a good thing. When you think you know it all, it's a sure sign you don't.
Maybe that attitude is one of the reasons not enough money wasn't coming in...?

Well other than the fact that they were getting outside help on things like the gearbox....

What kind of outside help was Virgin getting? Sauber, Mclaren, Ferrari?

Not sure what you mean by outside help really.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Well other than the fact that they were getting outside help on things like the gearbox....

What kind of outside help was Virgin getting? Sauber, Mclaren, Ferrari?

Not sure what you mean by outside help really.
By "outside help" I mean the "all US" attitude they had. They said they don't want/can do this without "outside help" meaning everything is US.

OK, eventually they had to get the driver from outside even though they said they won't but I think they should've gone outside with other things also. I said that thing from the beginning and thought it was a mistake to have "all US" attitude.

Ferrari went "all Italian" in 80s and look what they achieved back then...
After a loooong bad period, once the team got international (French team boss, British Manager & Designer, Japanese Engine guy etc.) they became successful again.

I believe this is what USF1 should've done from the get go, get Wurtz, Trulli, Kobayashi or Kovalainen as your two drivers right when you start, hire some experienced F1 mechanics, designers etc. from everywhere in the world and you'll end up with better car & team and most likely sponsors are more interested in you also.

That's what I mean.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

By "outside help" I mean the "all US" attitude they had. They said they don't want/can do this without "outside help" meaning everything is US.

OK, eventually they had to get the driver from outside even though they said they won't but I think they should've gone outside with other things also. I said that thing from the beginning and thought it was a mistake to have "all US" attitude.

Ferrari went "all Italian" in 80s and look what they achieved back then...
After a loooong bad period, once the team got international (French team boss, British Manager & Designer, Japanese Engine guy etc.) they became successful again.

I believe this is what USF1 should've done from the get go, get Wurtz, Trulli, Kobayashi or Kovalainen as your two drivers right when you start, hire some experienced F1 mechanics, designers etc. from everywhere in the world and you'll end up with better car & team and most likely sponsors are more interested in you also.

That's what I mean.
Got it. I agree that they should have gotten some drivers with a name early on. Would have helped huge with sponsors. Kobayashi I think was a great PR move if nothing else by Sauber. The guy has some serious star potential it seems.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:57 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

i think USF1 may be done!

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...NEWS/100219897

fast forward a little bit
Old 02-19-2010, 02:19 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
i think USF1 may be done!

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...NEWS/100219897

fast forward a little bit
Or maybe not, sort of…according to jalopnik.com

If there's a team with as many troubles as USF1 it's Campos Meta1. Now sources tell us USF1 may team up/acquire Meta1. Are two struggling teams better than one?

The buzz we've been told by a key supplier source is USF1 is having quite a lot of trouble with FIA crash testing and the team is caught in a battle between older F1 engineers wanting to talk about the problem and younger engineers just wanting to do it. The solution? Combine the Campos Meta1 team and the USF1 team and hope against hope one of the cars, two of the drivers and some combination of remaining sponsors can get enough together to make a few races.

We wonder if maybe it isn't the other way around since it seems Campos has a better sponsorship setup than USF1 right now. Also, ESPN is reporting Campos will announce a new funding solution soon. Could their funding solution be YouTube founder and possibly former USF1-sponsor Chad Hurley, thus creating a rumor that USF1 is buying Campos?

Granted, this is all a crazy rumor, but crazy rumors are all we have right now.

As for their website being down overnight, USF1 insisted through their twitter account it's nothing to look into:

The US F1 Team web server is down and is being repaired as this is written. We are not gone, as many have reported. More news soon.

We'll be waiting.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:52 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

http://en.espnf1.com/teamus/motorsport/story/9205.html

Now Ken Anderson has asked the FIA to allow USF1 to miss the first four races. His feeling is that if then are allowed this, then the funding should be "released" and they should be OK...
Old 02-22-2010, 04:20 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of USF1 drivers, this Speed TV article says that 2009 Formula Atlantic champion John Edwards will be driving a Mazda RX8 GT car in Grand Am for the rest of this year. This means he's effectively given up on his open wheel career (at least for now). If USF1 had any hope of acheiving their original goal of having American drivers in F1, Edwards would be a top prospect, and would need to be supported by them in order to come up through the ranks.

This is also yet another sad reminder of the state of US open wheel racing. If the Atlantic champion can't find support to continue, who can? Such a waste of top American talent.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amjf088
...His feeling is that if then are allowed this, then the funding should be "released" and they should be OK...
Yeah right, now it's FIA's fault if they don't make it...

They've had a year to make this work and they haven't, what makes them think they can everything done 3 months from now.

It's simple, if they can't make it to the grid in Bahrain 17 days from now, they need to stop tooling around and give that spot to someone who can (= Stefan GP who are having their 1st test next weekend).
Old 02-23-2010, 01:20 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's only a matter of time for USF1. i was pulling for them but they're gonzo. too many rumors, leaks, etc. to believe they'll make it.

i suspect the real situation is much, much worse that we've been exposed to.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:51 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At least I'll possibly get over missing Peter Windsor from the grid...maybe he will return.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 AM
kfyork
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by brendorenn

i suspect the real situation is much, much worse that we've been exposed to.
Your suspicion is correct...

Quick Reply: USF1 has a driver