USF1 has a driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:02 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Starting with the karting ranks (considered to be the entry level for a career in professional racing), it is generally accepted that if you are not racing in Europe by age 12, you won't really have any chance of moving up the career ladder. Yes, there are kids 10-12 years old who are traveliing between continents to race karts.

The exception to this rule are kids who are self funded and can essentially buy a team or buy a seat.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
it's because when we go to racing schools and formula car racing series here- they tell us not to try low percentage moves and to play it safe
I don't think what's taught at racing schools has anything to do with the racing talent in America. A racing school makes up about 2% of what a top driver learns/knows. The reason we don't have drivers in open wheel cars in the US is because it takes buttloads of family $$ and traveling to Europe at a very young age to make it happen. It doesn't make sense when you can make a solid living in the lower levels of regional stock car racing without traveling more than a couple states away.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
The exception to this rule are kids who are self funded and can essentially buy a team or buy a seat.
It seems it takes self funding no matter which way you do it. You don't see many poor kids (from the US or anywhere else in the world) traveling around Europe racing karts and open wheel cars.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Agreed.
It's always interesting to meet a 10 year old with a 2 million dollar race team...
Old 01-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
It seems it takes self funding no matter which way you do it. You don't see many poor kids (from the US or anywhere else in the world) traveling around Europe racing karts and open wheel cars.
Lopez, at the age of 14 was living and racing karts in Italy, the family takinng turns to watch over him.
His father is a wealthy businessman here.

To add info, he was winning one of Kart World championship finals (over Lewis Hamilton none less) when a mechanic failure put his dream over
Old 01-25-2010, 12:12 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 701 Likes on 348 Posts

I always wonder what a really good sports car driver could do in an F1 car - someone like Patrick Long. The ALMS prototype cars are about as close to formula cars as you get - basically a formula car with body work.

Would be interesting to see.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Agreed.
It's always interesting to meet a 10 year old with a 2 million dollar race team...
Don't be so hard on yourself Lewis ....
Old 01-25-2010, 01:35 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by naroescape
I always wonder what a really good sports car driver could do in an F1 car - someone like Patrick Long. The ALMS prototype cars are about as close to formula cars as you get - basically a formula car with body work.

Would be interesting to see.
Well.......try Alan McNish (sp)............unless you were bred to do F1 and hip hop yourself thru some series until you end up at F1 at a EARLY age you are **** out luck aka uncompetitive. Fact.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:51 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So, by the time I learned about F1, I was out of date.

Fun times.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:07 AM
dp35
Pro

In an announcement almost as surprising as the "Michael Schumacher is the Stig" thread here on RL today, USF1 has now confirmed that Jose Maria Lopez will be their 1st driver. SpeedTV link.

Interesting note in the last line of the Speed story:
According to reports the favorite to become teammate to Lopez is British driver James Rossiter.

What's Rossiter's story?

Anyone know how old Lopez is?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lopez is 26 years old, he won the European Renault V6 series at 19, after spending many years racing karts and Formula Renault single seaters (champion of italian F. Renault over Kubica in 2002)
Old 01-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry964
As you can see from the videos in the previous post, López is not a slow "pay for drive" pilot he is a very fast driver with good experience in racing single seaters and also saloons.
He has been champion in both types of cars and here in Argentina he is the fastest driver in a country where fast drivers are everywhere.
He needs a good car to show what he is worth, if USF1 develops a good car he will bring results
He might be pretty good at turning wheel but the $8 million bucks he's bringing from Argentina might have affected in him getting this deal...
USF1 is looking for paying drivers only, and López is one of them. I hope he is as fast as you say though!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:49 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
He might be pretty good at turning wheel but the $8 million bucks he's bringing from Argentina might have affected in him getting this deal...
I'm pretty sure $8M had something to do with it.

It would appear as though, at this late stage, USF1 adopted a " Weekend at Bernie's " approach to driver selection:

Superlicense (required)
Sponsorship $ (required)
Pulse (optional)

In the world of F1, you wouldn't think $8M would make that much of a difference over the course of a season for most teams.

At this point, I'm far more interested in seeing the design of the car rather than the drivers...I still remember the goal of American drivers in the cockpit...
Old 01-26-2010, 12:49 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

So the USF1 car will advertise Argentine tourism. LOL!!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm glad that USF1 is getting more complete. I don't care if they have Kermit the frog behind the wheel as long as it brings the team further along. If what it takes is Argentine money than fine - whatever. I hear yesterday's signing was quite big in Argentina BTW - it happened at the presidential palace under the watchful eye of the president himself, nationally televised, etc. Pretty cool if you ask me! Now those guys better deliver!!

Now Lewis, please change Henry's "Addict" status to something more à propos consdiering he's Lopez's #1 fan among us

Quick Reply: USF1 has a driver