Sponsored by:

996 GT3 cup copy classification issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 03:18 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
The GT classes don't talk about the chassis. Today, a GT3 chassis is allowed in the GT class structure, however, it just cannot have a GT3 based engine.
Seems to me the proper solution is to develop a GT3 engine factor and place it in GT1-6. As for worring about GT3 motors making 330 to 510 whp consider the turbo cars. I can get a 944 Turbo motor to make 220 to 450. Yet all still have the same factor so the idea that the power levels are not even is nothing new.

Frankly the remaining weakness in PCA GT is this concept of putting power level estimates based on a 100% motor. The GT class is already mostly power/weight except power is not determined by dyno, but the max you can make from a certain type motor with a ratio for displacement. Never before has a range from normal stock to 100% built been a consideration. It has always assumed 100% built.

Really it seem that if you are going to consider induction type as factor on the GT3 motor it should be factor for all engines and some siding factor is needed for Turbo cars.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Quite frankly, my 951 has a 200hp/L factor, and I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to have 500 reliable hp out of my engine. So in the end, it all ends up to a power to weight ratio within the specific class.
I guess you need to talk with John Millidge then

Seems to me the proper solution is to develop a GT3 engine factor and place it in GT1-6
If you look at lap times, you'll see that the 03-later cup cars post similar time to the best GT1 turbo 3.8l porsches. So, you really need at least one class above the current GT1 class. I agree that engine performance and weight are the only considerations in the class, but it has historically been an engine based class. I can't think of another engine where the induction system can make such a large difference in power. I consider them to almost be different engines.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wallet told me not to do that

c.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Today, a GT3 chassis is allowed in the GT class structure, however, it just cannot have a GT3 based engine.
LOL, that was my interpretation of the rule as well.
i would really love to try a GT3 based motor (let it be street or cup car engein) in a cayman/boxster.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts

If you look at lap times, you'll see that the 03-later cup cars post similar time to the best GT1 turbo 3.8l porsches. So, you really need at least one class above the current GT1 class. I agree that engine performance and weight are the only considerations in the class, but it has historically been an engine based class. I can't think of another engine where the induction system can make such a large difference in power. I consider them to almost be different engines.
I think drivers have more to do with the lap times than the cars. If an 03 cup is outrunning a gt1 car then I would look at the driver. Put that same driver in the gt1 and see what the times look like. The class should not be determined by driver skill.

A GT1 car could be a 2650 pound car with driver that has 650 wheel hp and 14in wide rear tires. A 997RSR is roughly the same weight with 480 wheel hp and same tires. I would say the chassis advantage would make up the difference in hp so they prob should be in the same class. Not really sure if 2 classes higher would be fair.

I def agree with the single vrs 6 throttle hp factor. It would help to separate the RSR's RS ect.. from the world challenge, GA cup cars.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:15 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well by that argument if you have GT3 3.6L better upgrade it to RSR specs!

If you complain about it being too expensive that is the same reason not to contact Milledge about 500 hp 2.5L 944 Turbo motor.

Look my only issue he is that it just not right to make a special factor for the GT3 based motors due to the power range, but not consider it for 4 cyl 2.5L turbo and other turbo cars. Why give the GT3 motor not built to 100% special treatment?

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 cup copy classification issue