Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy SpecBoxster

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Chris, Tim and I do a good job of fishing the internet, not much slips by us from Atlanta to Boston. I just pulled another Boxster donor car out of your area today for under $8000. If anyone is looking give us a call, we'll buy stuff that is inexpensive and store it, I asked Tim today, we have 4-6 engines in the shop now and 3 are his, we've lost track of what is good, bad 2.5 or 2.7?
Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkadi
If you just want to be on the grid, maybe a grand. There are numerous 20K motors in cup. A good rebuild is 5-10 depending on parts and the builder.

I would love to switch to SBOX but not if it means a motor/year.
remember there is both sp1 or sp2 !
20k ?? maybe i could count on 1 hand if im lucky !
Old 01-20-2010, 10:51 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Werkstatt
Yeah Chris, Tim and I do a good job of fishing the internet, not much slips by us from Atlanta to Boston. I just pulled another Boxster donor car out of your area today for under $8000. If anyone is looking give us a call, we'll buy stuff that is inexpensive and store it, I asked Tim today, we have 4-6 engines in the shop now and 3 are his, we've lost track of what is good, bad 2.5 or 2.7?
Damn peole think we are crazy because we have 6 cars, 3 spare motors, 2 trans, 70 wheels, not to mention spares to a complete car laying around...

Motors are cheap, even new from P we have bought 3 and not paid more then 8k. Add an accusump and change the oil and they are bullet proof.(Atleast so far...knocks on wood)
Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
larry, there are a lot of 3500-4000 motors from wreck yard at least all through out last year.

your are right though, the build cost of BSR is not low. if you dont do all the work. i think some ppl think BSR as SM. but it aint so. it's cheap compared to CUP cars. many BSR driver in CA all came from cup cars. so by cheap, it is relative. 944 is cheaper so is honda challenge and the S2000 are much much faster then BSR. SM is even cheaper.

if a shop tell you they can build a car for 35 or less, they are full of it. i want PREMIUM parts. my seat alone is $2500 (one seat), i dont want a $500 POS to plant my *** on. i dont want a car gutted poorly, it needs to look like a factory cup car. so everyone has different standard. my hardtop was not painted at maaco but had a $800 paint job solid color and just the top.

but the racing is really fun. at least in norcal we have had 6 races and most of them we were bumper drafting each other. i dont see other classes running that close. although i didn't feel it, i swear my car has paint that wasn't there BEFORE the race ;-)

i know TX had several blown motors. we dont see too many of that in CA. but other than CA motor spdway, we dont have banked tracks. so that may be the reason, i dont know. all i can say is that i have tortured my BSR motor a LOT LOT harder than any of my GT3's and it had zero issues.

larry, the coments above aren't directed at you, but once i started typing, i didn't want to start another post so ....
Mooty, I appreciate the feedback; that is why I threw my opinion out there. I am trying to get a real world assessment of reliability and cost. So far, I have not seen a Boxster for under 8K that didn't require enough repair work to bring it up to that number to become suitable to build on. And the general consensus here is that to buy or build a quality car will cost around $35k~$40k.

I was just working on my friends GT3 tonight and I forgot about how much I really liked mine, and how well-built they are. Right now they can be had for $45k at auction, and for another $8k can be completely fitted with all of the safety gear for PCA racing. I keep thinking that I could pound around in that for a year or so and then redo the suspension if I couldn't get it to podium as is. Makes the decision to go spec Boxster that much harder.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,626 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
.. And the general consensus here is that to buy or build a quality car will cost around $35k~$40k.

I was just working on my friends GT3 ...Right now they can be had for $45k at auction, and for another $8k can be completely fitted with all of the safety gear for PCA racing. I keep thinking that I could pound around in that for a year or so and then redo the suspension if I couldn't get it to podium as is. Makes the decision to go spec Boxster that much harder.
LOL, we share similar thoughts.
1. yes, 35-40 if not more, is the $$$ needed for a good car.
2. 6gt3 is getting pretty cheap to and i am tempted to get yet another one. but unlike the rest of the country, there are almost NO prepared or stock classes here. they are all out race cars. and there's no class for GT3 street cars other than GTA. and there you are way outclassed by the big guns.... if PCA would only put 6gt3 in an appropriate GT class............ anyone listening?
Old 01-21-2010, 01:30 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Thanks for the great insight guys, really appreciate it! From all the posts on the GT3 forum, I thought the spec boxsters were similar to spec miata in running costs, but as Mooty says, it's all relative to cup cars, not regular race cars I'd better really think this through before committing to SB... Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,056 Likes on 578 Posts

mooty I know what you mean- it seems like the only options in CA are to go all out cup style or bsr. For enduros I'd rather just slug it out with all the psychos in scca/nasa in my mazda cup car...but the tires/suspension are more expensive than the BSR

btw anyone interested in a low mile and lightly driven/ great condition/ pretty white SPBOX let me know- am not able to race/drive it enough and have been doing open wheel stuff instead.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman

I was just working on my friends GT3 tonight and I forgot about how much I really liked mine, and how well-built they are. Right now they can be had for $45k at auction, and for another $8k can be completely fitted with all of the safety gear for PCA racing. I keep thinking that I could pound around in that for a year or so and then redo the suspension if I couldn't get it to podium as is. Makes the decision to go spec Boxster that much harder.
The big difference here is the tires and brakes, no? A set of Hoosiers every race weekend for the GT3 vs a set of RA-1s for the Boxster every what, 3 or 4 weekends? I'd also have to assume that pads and rotors for a GT3 are quite a bit more expensive than those for the Boxster.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:48 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

This very interesting thread kind of cemented my view that racing a spec box car is really only "cheaper" than racing cup cars and the more sophisticated GT cars (in pca that is). Perhaps the marginal savings in tires make it more economical than racing in stock?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The way I summarize Spec Boxster is...

cup car handling (considering your tires) without the acceleration. Running costs are tied to the consumables for any race car platform. However, the spares package for a boxster is much more reasonable than Cup.

The consideration of Spec is that you are not necessarily racing with your wallet once your car is up to standard. It is well documented what components you need to have to be up to standard, the rest is setup and driver.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:47 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
The way I summarize Spec Boxster is...

cup car handling (considering your tires) without the acceleration. Running costs are tied to the consumables for any race car platform. However, the spares package for a boxster is much more reasonable than Cup.

The consideration of Spec is that you are not necessarily racing with your wallet once your car is up to standard. It is well documented what components you need to have to be up to standard, the rest is setup and driver.
+1 I have done the GT class gig and quite frankly, the thought of zinging another $30K motor made my stomach churn. The idea behind spec is to keep the initial build cost down, i.e. PSS-9/10 instead of Motons, Penskes or whatever. After you get it up and going, it should be about the same as any other stock class car to maintain and operate. Point being, I don't think you can build a stock class car that will make the top of the podium for less dollars than a top of the podium capable specBoxster.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkadi
If you just want to be on the grid, maybe a grand. There are numerous 20K motors in cup. A good rebuild is 5-10 depending on parts and the builder.

I would love to switch to SBOX but not if it means a motor/year.

20k what heck are you smoking. BTW my home rebuild motor in my 944 spec ran the fastest lap of the weeked at NASA nationals this year and lead 1/2 the championship race. Small driver mistakes pushed me to 4th out of 34, but at least I was only 2.5 seconds back after 40 mintues of green racing.

The 2009 championship winning car is for sale for 12k or so. Fair price.

The idea of any spec class (944 or boxster) is two fold.

1) Cost containment - Rules are developed to limit build costs for a competitive build to a range. Sure you can spend 3k on seat or 5k on paint. However those don't make the car any faster. It may make the car prettier or more "comfortable", but that is not going to win races. As such you can look at the rules and without that much effort determine what parts you need to be fast and get a reasonable estimate of costs. It may not always be cheap, but costs are contained. GT3 cups are spec cars with cost containment. However they are much more expensive. Still cheaper than running other full bodied cars of that performance range.

2) Performance equality - Rules are designed to make sure there is no (or very little) techincal advantage in a particular car or from any particular shop. Cars when driven on track should very close in terms of hp, straightaway speed, cornering performance and braking. What is intended to seperate the cars on track is drive skill not the ability to buy faster parts.

So the allure of any spec class is racing to limited budget and the belief that you can compete in nicely prepared car.

If spec boxster is too expensive there are cheaper classes. 944-spec and spec miata are just two of these. However these cars are also slower. Does that make a difference? You decide.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:36 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One other thought here, although we all know that there is no escaping the ages-old axiom that speed is directly proportional to money, classes like Spec Miata are definitely cheap, but they're not very fast either, and few of us would be happy there. But, I can tell you that I run my 944S2 in 944SuperCup for about half the outlay of SpecBox and yet am consistently faster. They're just not worth it yet, IMHO.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
... but they're not very fast either, and few of us would be happy there. But, I can tell you that I run my 944S2 in 944SuperCup for about half the outlay of SpecBox and yet am consistently faster. They're just not worth it yet, IMHO.
Interesting point. I can't say I'd be very interested in being slower than I already am....
Old 01-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
btw anyone interested in a low mile and lightly driven/ great condition/ pretty white SPBOX let me know-
low mile, great condition & cheap?

Quick Reply: Looking to buy SpecBoxster