Sponsored by:

Looking to buy SpecBoxster

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i sold my for $35 or so i think. it inc 3 sets wheels, recardo xl spg hans seat, 2 exhausts, aim data and a cheap computer to run the program, cool suit, fire system and the other more usual stuff.

blair also had a top car for about the same price
Who's Blair?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:17 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

LOL, we share similar thoughts.
1. yes, 35-40 if not more, is the $$$ needed for a good car.
2. 6gt3 is getting pretty cheap to and i am tempted to get yet another one. but unlike the rest of the country, there are almost NO prepared or stock classes here. they are all out race cars. and there's no class for GT3 street cars other than GTA. and there you are way outclassed by the big guns.... if PCA would only put 6gt3 in an appropriate GT class............ anyone listening?
What about "J" class? That's basically a "Spec 996GT3" class. If enough cars were there, it would be competitive. Not Cup speed, but not Cup costs! 1 set of Hoosiers would be fine for the weekend. I'm using 3 sets of Michelins in the Cup! ouch...
Old 01-21-2010, 09:20 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

PS...this has been a great "SpecBox 101" course for me. Thanks Guys! But seriously, anyone bringing a car to Sebring for me to buy??
Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fryd
PS...this has been a great "SpecBox 101" course for me. Thanks Guys! But seriously, anyone bringing a car to Sebring for me to buy??
fryd

Talk to Scott at Werks he is bringing a trailer full of cars and some are for sale. He builds a great car at a resonable price.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:16 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Originally Posted by amondc
fryd

Talk to Scott at Werks he is bringing a trailer full of cars and some are for sale. He builds a great car at a resonable price.
+1000%
Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Who's Blair?
POC racer in socal. but his car has been sold last month.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:00 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

What about "J" class? That's basically a "Spec 996GT3" class. If enough cars were there, it would be competitive. Not Cup speed, but not Cup costs! 1 set of Hoosiers would be fine for the weekend. I'm using 3 sets of Michelins in the Cup! ouch...
there are NO "letter" classes in cal.
here if you race with pca, you have GTC (very few cars, like 2-3), spec box (maybe 6-10, this is considered big grid size for us), GT1, 2, 3, GTA (2-3 cars each at best). spec 911 (largest: 15 cars or so). GTL (not national class yet: 4-6 cars)... i you did a J class GT3, you be racing yourself. ugh......
Old 01-22-2010, 01:04 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by race911
Still the lap record holder for similar cars at Thunderhill. Maybe Mooty will even vouch for me on how "easy" I am on equipment.............
i vouch for ken.
he's easy on cars.
to save his SM, he dumped his top taking the short route through T2 at TH. note to self, dont follow ken around. scare the **** out of me..... then a giant rock kissed my windshield and a fist sized hit on my RS nose..... oh that was radical on inside curb of T2 hahhaaha... all good.

Last edited by mooty; 05-26-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:19 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i vouch for ken.
he's easy on cars.
to save his SM, he dumped his top taking the short route through T2 at TH. note to self, dont follow ken around. scare the **** out of me..... then a giant rock kissed my windshield and a fist sized hit on my RS nose..... oh that was radical on inside curb of T2 hahhaaha... all good.
Uh, actually it was the long route as I went off on the outside of 2 that time. (Guys, remember to bolt the hardtop back on. Even if it's been 6 months since you've driven the car.)

Always fun running the yellow car against the RS!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:21 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are NO "letter" classes in cal.
here if you race with pca, you have GTC (very few cars, like 2-3), spec box (maybe 6-10, this is considered big grid size for us), GT1, 2, 3, GTA (2-3 cars each at best). spec 911 (largest: 15 cars or so). GTL (not national class yet: 4-6 cars)... i you did a J class GT3, you be racing yourself. ugh......
Don't forget us lowly SP1 cars - I have more joining us this year too.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:36 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with the numbers Mooty is throwing around, however, of the 4 main cars last year 3 were not prepped by pro shops (mine included) and we were all in the hunt. Mooty's prep was/is first rate, and he's fast. That said, we were all right there. I am in about $25k where it sits now (not including MoTeC). We do our own prep/alignment in our shop and the others do it in their garage. The thing about SPBOX is it's not hard at all to get your car in good racing form. You just need someone to do the cage (we all use TC here in Norcal cause he is the best), and the rest is essentially bolt on (BRAG's kit). So I don't really think (unless you want a almost arrive-drive situation) that cars are as expensive as some of the posts indicate.

I don't think a motor/year is a fair representation of the life of these motors. motor/3 years is what I have in my budget ($4k) tranny/3 years too ($1k)
Old 01-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mid February I will be finishing up my Spec Boxster with a lot of help from Brad Roberts (BoxsterSpec.org) and Kent Porter (Precision Chassis Works) (where my cage was fabricated).

We are looking to host a sort of build party at PCW in Arizon and demo some of the install, setup and some of the trick fab parts that Kent Porter has made and are used on my Spec Boxster.

Some details to follow if anyone is interested in stopping by.

-Paul

Quick Reply: Looking to buy SpecBoxster